safe fusing /circuit breaker

Dak77

100 W
My wife has a RadRunner which has 14 ga leads for the battery side . I replaced the stock battery and hugo connector with a 14s that I made w/ 12ga and 30A Anderson PPs . I was curious if a 60A 72V breaker would be good enough or should I stick with an inline fuse of lesser rating like 30A or so? The controller is limited to 20amps from what I understand, but it's hard to find a definitive answer on that. Any advice would be appreciated.

Instead of needlessly bulky, and expensive breakers, you should be using the BMS what it is degined for. If it is a worthwhile product it either has a physical switch to turn it off or a bluetooth app to do the same.
Stop supporting sellers who sell black box BMSes.

Also, unless you are physically removing and reconnnecting the battery, there is no need to turn it off. Only time you need such a function is to limit inrush current and destroying the connector with huge sparks when connecting it.

Dak77 said:
E-HP said:
Dak77 said:
I was curious if a 60A 72V breaker would be good enough...

Good enough for??

In case of a dead short, is a 60 amp fuse good enough to prevent a fire ?
Seems needlessly high given that you are limited to 20A. Have you popped your 30A fuse?

PS. If your breaker is the your only line of defense (no BMS), then make sure it's a DC breaker.

E-HP said:
Dak77 said:
E-HP said:
Dak77 said:
I was curious if a 60A 72V breaker would be good enough...

Good enough for??

In case of a dead short, is a 60 amp fuse good enough to prevent a fire ?
Seems needlessly high given that you are limited to 20A. Have you popped your 30A fuse?

PS. If your breaker is the your only line of defense (no BMS), then make sure it's a DC breaker.

I just had the breaker from another project and thought of using it , if it is sufficient to avoid a fire in the event of a wipeout type scenario. I'm hesitant to fool with bms units due to "another electronic gadget to fail" , but I do see the value in them and may just do that anyway.

Back