Throttle Cut Out Switch. For Safety.

Fsbbshd

100 µW
Hello. I'm new here. I've been googling to see if anyone else has done this, and I haven't been able to find anyone else that's done it, even on this board. If I just missed it, because I searched the wrong key words please let me know. Thanks.

I've got a BBSHD, and it is way too powerful, and the throttle is was too sensitive and snappy. So I'm wiring in a handlebar mounted rocker switch. Using the housing for the 'Wuxing' shift switch.

I've looked up wiring diagrams and I'm about to put it all together.

Mostly I was just hoping I could actually use the light on this light up switch, but because it's normally closed and I need normally open, I can't.

If anyone knows of a different switch please let me know.

I want the light to be off when the switch is closed, and on when the switch is open. But I expect all illuminated rocker switches will be wired the same.

If anyone is interested I can post pics of what I've got some far (diagrams and parts).

Being your first post, I'll ask an obvious question. You know the BBSHD is very programmable to remove or improve those issues you mention? When you quit pedaling, the motor quits producing power...at least if you have it programmed decently. I'm no help on your effort at a kill switch with the elements you mention. You can also use one of the brake switches for hydraulic brakes to make a form of a kill switch. My other question is what is this BBSHD attached to? If it has brakes, you have two options of brake switches that immediately kill the motor's power.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm aware of that. I have an eggrider display that I've been detuning more and more. the manual for the eggrider isn't great, so I do still need to detuned it more. But like I said, I just want a throttle kill switch. I don't enjoy having to turn off the eggrider, or for those that don't have an eggrider, switching off the battery. Just to stop the throttle from accidentally getting cranked.

The wiring schematics are pretty simple, and I do electronics repair as a hobby. So I'm not dummy.

This is solely about a throttle kill switch. And specifically about one that has an illuminated switch.

Frankly, I'm really surprised that nobody has made a throttle kill switch, other than a momentary switch.

Thank you

Lots of choices out there. Why not use a small switch on the throttle wiring?

In six years of running BBSxx series motors and supporting them, I've never had anyone asking for a throttle kill switch.
No demand so none stocked.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1476?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3J32-MGh8QIVg7zICh0nEw96EAQYAiABEgIG1_D_BwE

I thought about it. I just don't want to cut into the throttle wire. Also, the bar mounted momentary push button was $6, and the throttle was over $30. And I'd have to use a bar mounted switch either way. And that wouldn't stop the pedal assist.

At first I wanted to keep the pedal assist going while the throttle was cut. But the more I thought about it, and went out and used my first ebike, the more I noticed that the pedal assist is still a hazard. I've bumped the pedals few times and it tried to run away from me, or push against me when I was in a dangerous area. Near cliffs, steep hills and such.

I want to be able to push a switch and set the bike down for a minute. And not have to shut off the eggrider or the battery.

You could make an inline adapter to one of the brake switches that has a rocker or latching button switch in it.

Good replies so far. All good ideas. I thought about that too. I figured since It'll still have to be a handlebar mounted button it could be a pain trying to get the brakes, shifter and kill switch all off the handlebars at the same time.

And I had a Higo y splitter sitting around wanting to be used!

Fsbbshd said:
I thought about it. I just don't want to cut into the throttle wire. Also, the bar mounted momentary push button was $6, and the throttle was over $30. And I'd have to use a bar mounted switch either way. And that wouldn't stop the pedal assist.

At first I wanted to keep the pedal assist going while the throttle was cut. But the more I thought about it, and went out and used my first ebike, the more I noticed that the pedal assist is still a hazard. I've bumped the pedals few times and it tried to run away from me, or push against me when I was in a dangerous area. Near cliffs, steep hills and such.

I want to be able to push a switch and set the bike down for a minute. And not have to shut off the eggrider or the battery.
Interesting decision. I'd have thought someone with electronics as a hobby wouldn't be at all intimidated by simple splicing in a switch. But then I don't see the point. Especially given a programming cable a some *.EL files to mimic would solve your issue.

Thanks for the all the friendly replies guys. Intimidated isn't the right word. I just didn't want to have to install or remove all the bar mounted stuff at the same time.

I don't know if you're picturing what I mean about having the throttle on the right, then brake, them shifter, them kill switch-connected to the throttle. And I didn't want to have to make use a plug to disconnect it.

I bought the eggrider so I haven't played with the programming cable. I haven't looked into programming this motor much. From what I've seen the eggrider and the programming cable do just about the same thing. When I get some free time I'll have to look more into programming the motor. But, as far as a kill switch, I don't see how it would be necessary to do more advanced programming than the user interface that most people use to program the BBSHD, that might mess up the firmware, just to put a kill switch on it.

I figured I'm gonna have to put a bar mounted switch either way, might as well just use what bafang already has there.which is just pulling the brake signal to ground.

I've read several people say how they or their kids, or other people accidentally hit the throttle when they weren't intending to and have had accidents or near misses.

If anyone is interested, let me know, I can post pics and show you how to make one.

I used the Wuxing DK10(?), With the green button, from em3ev. Then I drilled the hole wider to put a big 20mm rocker switch in it.

So far it has been super handy! I'm very pleased with the end result! I switched from the full twist throttle to the half twist throttle. I thought it would be a downgrade, cause I've tried them on a radrunner(?) before. But I think I might stick with the half twist. There's just something about it. Like when I'm on super skinny, sketchy trails I feel like I have more fine control over the throttle, and probably less chance of accidentally turning the throttle too far, or turning it by accident.

Let me know if anyone wants to make on of these. Take care guys.

tomjasz said:
Interesting decision. I'd have thought someone with electronics as a hobby wouldn't be at all intimidated by simple splicing in a switch. But then I don't see the point. Especially given a programming cable a some *.EL files to mimic would solve your issue.

I guess it's a unique case. It appears that the OP would like to allow kids and other people around the bike while it's turned on, by disabling the throttle, rather than turning off the bike. The safest option would be to turn off the bike, but the OP doesn't enjoy that, so I guess this is the next safest option. I haven't figured out the illuminated switch aspect, but possibly to allow people around the bike at night?

There may be others who share the same aversion for turning off the bike, so this would be a solution for them, or serve as a warning to stay away from the eggrider if they want to avoid the problem all together. :thumb:

Don't the popular Radpower ebikes have a halftwist throttle with an integral red button that enables/disables the throttle? Could you use one of those throttles? They were extremely common on ali when I was shopping for a throttle last summer.

DISCLAIMER: Very possible I didn't understand the OP's request or requirements.

Good suggestions. I just want to be able to switch off my bike for a minute, so I can sit down by the trail or take pictures, etc.

I looked at the ones with a half twist throttle and a red button. It doesn't say but I'm sure those are momentary switches. And also I don't like the thick/round shape of that throttle handle. I've tried that style on my friends bike. That style seems to make my hand sore fast. I like having a separate bar mounted switch anyway, that way the shifter and brake are closer to the throttle handle.

Also, if I shut off the display then I have to hold the down button to turn down the brightness. And if I forget and turn the display on while I'm moving then pedal assist won't kick in until I come to a complete stop. Which is not fun when you're going uphill.

Back