Charge Level for 18650s

bobbill

100 W
I have 4 pack chargers i use. All are different, save they all cease charging at a certain level !00%

One is sold by Luna and has switch to keep charge to 80%; another goes to 100%. For reasons not mentioned here, I bought a Chinese battery pack that came with a charger and the maker says to charge pack (small 36v) 'til green lights (or 100%). Another instruction says do not charge to 100%m until a few charges have occurred. Which is it?

Basic ?s, I know.

But, we think thesse variations simply confuse and do users wrong.

Two things accelerate the loss of capacity, which leads to shorter range and fewer amps...

Heat, and storing the cells at 4.2V. Its true that these cells can be charged to 4.2V each, but if your pack is small enough that you want to start your ride with an absolutely full pack...give it a top-off just before the ride.

Ideal storage voltage is 4.05V or less. Using 4.1V is much better than 4.2V. For long-term storage, 3.7V per cell and store where it's cold.

If charging to 4.0/4.1V per cell with daily use (as I recommend) maybe once a month you could give it a long charge to ensure the BMS balances all the cells, but if you charge to 4.0V every ride, the precise balance is less important.

Thanks R, I kinda do pack as the Chinese gal said...individual cells, did as you said, 6.6xv.

Thing is, those eho-made pack said full; it registered as fully charged, after sitting in cool garage for months, and is still fully charged.

The loose cells, all 60 or so, are now 6.95 or so, awaiting my packing them up...and thanks again. You are kind to ehlp....me anal.

Back