Retrofitting nylon gear to Bafang Ultra?

PeteCress

1 kW
Paoli (near Philadelphia) Pennsylvania USA
Retrofitting a nylon gear from a BBS02 to an Ultra dialed back to, say, 750 watts would seem to give a torque sensing drive without the incteased noise of steel gears.

Is there any hope for this?

Or are the gears totally different?

Been pushing this idea for months. Finally (today 07/06/21) good news.
See post #99 here-

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/wanted-volunteers-tributes-for-custom-quiet-gears-for-ultra.42155/page-5#post-443399

This is the only solution I know of. Though it will likely fail when pushed beyond what Bafang has it rated at, this gear SHOULD hold up to that point.

The G510 Ultra is a noisy beast. I have tried both the stock nylon and metal gears. The PEEK gear would be nice.
I melted one nylon gear and I was not even pushing it that hard. Stock power level.
The metal gear with chain saw bar and chain oil was pretty quiet. Actually quieter than the nylon gear with grease.
It's the freewheel between the motor and chain ring that makes a lot of noise on mine.

AHicks said:
See post #99 here-

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/wanted-volunteers-tributes-for-custom-quiet-gears-for-ultra.42155/page-5#post-443399
Works for me because I would dial an Ultra back to 750 watts anyhow to avoid scrambling my Rohloff.

My maximum needed wattage appears tb the 500 watts that is plenty to help me up the biggest, longest hill that I ride. Actually, I have done it at 250, but 500 works better... All I really want is torque sensing without what I consider tb excessive noise.

I just registered for that forum so I can ask PushKar to put me on his notification list for the hoped-for September release.

And I just might buy an Ultra right now based on the other contributur's claim that an alternative lubricant reduced his Ultra's noise to more like a BBS02's.

You really can't believe everything you read. "And I just might buy an Ultra right now based on the other contributur's claim that an alternative lubricant reduced his Ultra's noise to more like a BBS02's."

When it comes to something like that, I would stay with the recommended products until you see "chain & bar lube" trending with comments regarding wear and longevity, as well as noise reduction - unless you're up for some experimenting as well?

In other words, maybe hold off until you hear about guys putting a couple thousand miles on that treatment, without trouble and no need for frequent re-lube.

When I first got my Ultra, it was very noisy and needed some break-in. It got a little better but was still louder than I liked so I loaded gears up with Mobile 28 and now is very quiet.

Even despite the cadence-only action, the HD is so incredibly quiet I cannot honestly say the Ultra is an improvement on it. I like Biktrix bikes, but pair an Ultra with fat knobbys and you have one noisy-ass bike.

Back