Ebike Build Question about Battery size

JackLeach

1 µW
I have a 46v 1000W front wheel hub motor. I need to travel 2 miles at most, less than that 90% of time, so I really don't need a large, expensive battery. Does anyone know what the cheapest battery I can get away with for the commute? I could not figure out how the calculations work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JackLeach said:
I have a 46v 1000W front wheel hub motor. I need to travel 2 miles at most, less than that 90% of time, so I really don't need a large, expensive battery. Does anyone know what the cheapest battery I can get away with for the commute? I could not figure out how the calculations work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are you charging once a day/twice a day?
Desired speed and terrain?
Pedaling?

JackLeach said:

ebikes.ca trip simulator
is designed to answer questions like this. Enter details of your trip (especially elevation), motor type and system weight, and you can figure out exactly how much energy will be required.

For a 2 mile commute, range won't be a problem. The issues will be:
- a battery large enough to handle 1000 watts.
- charging, or keeping the battery at less than 100% charge for extended periods.

Smaller packs will wear out sooner delivering higher current, and can heat up. (Heat is bad.)

Consider a lower power motor kit. You will be able to use a smaller battery, saving weight and $$$.

Lots to consider. :)
Colin

You need a battery that can handle 1000w, or 1000/48=20.8 amps.
I saw a 6ah pack made with 15Amp rated cells (14s2p), so in theory should be good for 30 amp max. Understand that some sellers can overstated cell ratings.

Is this your first ebike experience?
Are you 100% sure you wont ride your bike further because it'd be such a waste of money to buy a small battery pack and once you ride 2 miles you'll want to ride longer.

48V 6Ah with VTC6 3Ah 30A in a 13S2P config using a 30A controller on a 60A battery pack.
You wouldnt want to go 13S1P because that would stress the battery much more. Going 13S2P you stress the battery pack much less. And your depth of discharge is much less.
48V x 6Ah = 288Wh
You'll probably use 20wh/m, so 40wh used on your 2 mile round trip on 288wh pack. You can do a few rides before the pack needs recharging.

My guess is you'll probably want to ride more often to different places for casual riding, or to get groceries or run to the corner store, thats when you'll need a 10Ah or 12Ah pack

EM3EV is 13S4P @ 13.5Ah 48V $450
https://em3ev.com/shop/em3ev-48v-13s4p-super-shark-ebike-battery/

JackLeach said:

Sixteen A123 LiFePO4 26650 cells in series (1P16S).
Min Volts: 40
Nominal Volts: 48
Full Charge: 56 Volts
Charge Voltage: 58 Volts
Nominal capacity: 2.5 Amp Hours
Max Continuous Draw: 50 AMPs
Weight: ~1200 grams
Max range 4-5 miles.

Back