Please help with Throttle (key and voltage display) wiring

BudgetBiker

10 µW
Hi,
ive tried to figure this out on my own but want to double check with someone who knows what they're doing before I attempt this.

Ive included pics of the new throttle wiring and the old throttle connection to the controller.

I have an unknown 48v 1000w controller currently connected to a twist throttle which also has a power switch and 3 LED battery meter.

I want to swap the throttle for a new one which has a 3 digit Volt meter and Key power switch.
The new throttle is 5 wires total but my old one connects using 7 wires to the controller.

I know the 3 throttle wires are the red/green/black.

From the controller:
YELLOW and BROWN are for power switch
GREEN and GREY are for 3 LED battery meter

On the new throttle wiring:
YELLOW is supposed to go to battery positive +48V for the 3 Digit display
BLUE is supposed to go to 'power switch/ignition ON' wire

Questions;
1. Does the yellow wire have to go directly to battery +48v or can it go to green or grey (currently connected to 3 LED meter)?
If so, green or grey?

2. Can the blue wire be connected to yellow or brown? Which one? Or is the 'power/ignition ON' wire somewhere else? ​​​​​​
I have got a multimeter but don't know how I would use it to figure this out. I have checked continuity across blue and yellow on the new throttle... There is no continuity until the key is switched on, then there is continuity.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.Polish_20210719_171345733.jpg_20210719_164717_resize_70.jpg

The first thing I would do is measure between the brown wire and ground, and the yellow wire and ground, for the controller connector. One is likely to be battery level voltage. If so, the other wire is will connect to the new throttle's blue wire. Do the same check with the green and grey wires from the controller. The yellow wire from the new throttle should connect to battery level voltage, which you can either get from either of the connectors that you just tested.

The new throttle gets its ground for the meter from the black throttle wire, so you need to make sure your new throttle's black wire matches up with the black wire on the controller's throttle connector. Looks like, based on the pic, that the order of the red and green wire on the throttle may need swap places, but since it also looks like you need to change connectors, just make sure the wiring order is correct (red to red, black to black, signal to signal i.e green).

This is assuming that your new throttle is something like this one; couldn't tell since you only provided the pics of the connectors.
s-l300.jpg

Thanks very much for the reply.

Yes the new throttle is very similar to that one you posted. Pic included.

Thanks for the guidance. I'll try what you suggested asap but I'm clueless on electrics and am learning as I go. What you said all makes sense except for the most basic part.
When testing between yellow/brown to ground and grey/green to ground.... Is ground the black wire (throttle red/green/black) going to controller? Sorry for asking the most basic of questions but I want to clarify before I go poking around as I really don't want to fry the controller.

Also, I did notice I have to change connector and wire order for the 3 red/green/black throttle wires but thanks for reminding me.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it. :bigthumb:

$_12.jpeg

Ok it all makes sense now, thanks to your advice E-HP :thumb:

I tested yellow and brown (controller) to ground. Yellow gives battery level voltage.

I tested green and grey (controller) to ground and got zero on either.
I reconnected the old power switch to yellow/brown and switched it on... Then I got battery level voltage from the green wire.

So I should connect the blue (new throttle) to the brown (controller yellow and brown) for the key to work.

I can connect the yellow (new throttle) to yellow (controller) but the voltage display will be on constantly.
If I connect yellow (new throttle) to green (controller green/grey) the voltage display will only light up when the key is switched on.
Is that right?

Thanks again for your help, it's all starting to make sense now.

Ok I don't understand it as well as I thought I did :cry: but I'm getting close, can you tell me where I've gone wrong?

I connected the 3 throttle wires (red green and black) properly.

I connected blue from throttle to brown on controller.
I connected yellow from throttle to green on controller.

With this setup, the key did nothing. Voltage display and throttle do not work with key switched on or off.

I then disconnected the blue (throttle) from the brown (controller) and put a jumper across the yellow and brown (controller) wires.

With this setup the key will switch the voltage display on and off and the throttle works BUT the throttle still works with the key switched off.

Any ideas where I've gone wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated.

BudgetBiker said:

I tested yellow and brown (controller) to ground. Yellow gives battery level voltage.

I reconnected the old power switch to yellow/brown and switched it on... Then I got battery level voltage from the green wire.

So I should connect the blue (new throttle) to the brown (controller yellow and brown) for the key to work.

I can connect the yellow (new throttle) to yellow (controller) but the voltage display will be on constantly.
If I connect yellow (new throttle) to green (controller green/grey) the voltage display will only light up when the key is switched on.
Is that right?

If the controller yellow had battery voltage, then yellow needs to connect to yellow of the new throttle. Then the key should turn on the voltmeter, and provide battery voltage through the blue wire from the new throttle to the controller brown wire, to turn on the controller.

E-HP said:
BudgetBiker said:

Is that right?

If the controller yellow had battery voltage, then yellow needs to connect to yellow of the new throttle. Then the key should turn on the voltmeter, and provide battery voltage through the blue wire from the new throttle to the controller brown wire, to turn on the controller.

Excellent :thumb: thanks very much. I'll give that a go tomorrow and report back.
Thanks for all your help, much appreciated :bigthumb:

E-HP said:
BudgetBiker said:

Is that right?

That worked perfectly :thumb: Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated.

Back