Breaking my esc.

If I potted an esc in a pretty hard resin and threw it at concrete until it broke what circuitry bit would be the one most likely to have broken?

Did you cover all the components on the pcb board with resin?
I'd say the ICU chip is the most fragile and is the first to fail, major vibrations.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
If I potted an esc in a pretty hard resin and threw it at concrete until it broke what circuitry bit would be the one most likely to have broken?

I’m saying everything would be rock solid in a block so the breaking that would occur would have to be inside the bit. I imagine a resistor or inductor would survive a huge shock but maybe the design of something else like a capacitor wouldn’t?

E-HP said:
Might be a question to post in "the biker bar/general discussion" subforum. :thumb:

I appreciate ur feedback but think it’s appropriate being technical. Or maybe we can argue about that for fun. My ego is not effected either way unless you tell me trump won.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
I appreciate ur feedback but think it’s appropriate being technical. Or maybe we can argue about that for fun. My ego is not effected either way unless you tell me trump won.

Well you did say ESC, and practically all EVs on this site have one or more of those, so the more general forum (non-EV specific) seems like a good choice. EV General might also capture a broader audience.

Tesla had done a million different crash tests on their cars, so maybe there's some data already. The EV car guys might know about that stuff. A crash might be close to throwing against the wall.

Its a bit different as the EV metal and surroundings act like a cushion lessening the shock of impact and its not like throwing a potted/epoxied resined pcb board against a wall. But the EV is going much faster so it could be equivalent in some regard as one can only throw so hard and my bet is Hummina Shadeeba doesnt have the greatest of baseball arms. And after a crash, manufacturers dont want automotive parts to survive, means more money for the auto co and parts co. What do they call it, Engineered failure.

E-HP said:
Tesla had done a million different crash tests on their cars, so maybe there's some data already. The EV car guys might know about that stuff. A crash might be close to throwing against the wall.

markz said:
Its a bit different as the EV metal and surroundings act like a cushion lessening the shock of impact and its not like throwing a potted/epoxied resined pcb board against a wall. But the EV is going much faster so it could be equivalent in some regard as one can only throw so hard and my bet is Hummina Shadeeba doesnt have the greatest of baseball arms. And after a crash, manufacturers dont want automotive parts to survive, means more money for the auto co and parts co. What do they call it, Engineered failure.

I agree. I think, though, if there was data and certain failure points identified during a lesser impact, then those would be the weakest components, and wouldn't survive the wall test.

Take this in a good way, but we all share a little bit of geekiness when we get interested in any of this EV stuff, which is why these types of discussions happen; and if the data is out there somewhere, then chances are someone on this site knows about it. The non-EV world is missing out.

Yes but sometimes companies dont want information out there, was it you in the other thread that wanted info on the EV battery fires saying the same line, yeah it would be good to have info, the more info the better.

Whats the ancient proverb? Knowledge is power

E-HP said:
I agree. I think, though, if there was data and certain failure points identified during a lesser impact, then those would be the weakest components, and wouldn't survive the wall test.

Take this in a good way, but we all share a little bit of geekiness when we get interested in any of this EV stuff, which is why these types of discussions happen; and if the data is out there somewhere, then chances are someone on this site knows about it. The non-EV world is missing out.

markz said:
Whats the ancient proverb? Knowledge is power

And absolute power....

On the controller, if the assumption is that the potting isn't compromised during impact, then my money is on the electrolytic capacitors, since they are basically a can, with a bunch of thin foil, paper, and some chemicals, that could move around, regardless of the potting.

Back