2 Motor controllers - 1 hub. Possible?

Graham123

1 mW
Hey folks, strange technical question: Is it possible to use 2 motor controllers for one ebike hub motor? Not at the same time. See, the only controllers available for my motor come in 2 flavors - peddle assist only and throttle only. How annoying... Can I just get both, wire the 3 phase wires etc. to both controllers, and just turn one on at a time? Or will the current from one controller damage the other?

Graham123 said:
See, the only controllers available for my motor come in 2 flavors - peddle assist only and throttle only.

You are mistaken. Get a controller in the correct power range that has the features you want. You may need to reconcile the motor plugs with the controller plugs, but it will work.

I did go to ask Why?!?!
Reading further down your post I realized why but surely you can get a controller that covers both contingencies in one....
Not that one comes to mind at the moment...
Good luck with it and happy trails ☺

Graham123 said:
Hey folks, strange technical question: Is it possible to use 2 motor controllers for one ebike hub motor? Not at the same time. See, the only controllers available for my motor come in 2 flavors - peddle assist only and throttle only. How annoying... Can I just get both, wire the 3 phase wires etc. to both controllers, and just turn one on at a time? Or will the current from one controller damage the other?

Look at the VESC 100/250 or 75/300 they have a throttle input and PAS setting so both can be used on 1 controller and i rate the Vesc's amazing fro personal use.

Back