Controller replacement

radvi

1 mW
Hello

I have an city ebike, with Bafang rear hub motor (36V/250W), Silver fish battery (36V/21 Ah).

I am forced to replace my controller unit, due to a minor failure (front light stopped working).

The current controller unit has this specification:

Rated voltage: 36V
Maximum current: 17A
Rated current: 8A
Low voltage protection: 31.5V
Throttle adjustment voltage: 1.2v-4.4v
(Ex-factory date: 05/2017)

Unfortunately, this controller is not available anymore.

The question is: may this (current) unit be replaced with the following one:

Rated voltage: 36V
Maximum current: 12A
Rated current: 6A
Low voltage protection: 29V
Throttle adjustment voltage: 1.2v-4.4v
(Ex-factory date: 08/2017)

I was wondering if the new unit will work fine on my bike, will not affect the motor/battery?

Thanks in advance for any help related to my problem.

2 pieces here. The first is the controller capacity. You don't ever want to push that to it's upper limits. Far better to buy one big enough so it's not necessary to work it to more than 75% of listed max capacity.

Second piece is that light. Not all controllers have that separate light circuit, but of those that do, nearly all are very sensitive to any overload - like someone installing a more powerful headlight without considering the increased amperage required to run it.

If it were my bike, rather than replacing the controller for the inop light circuit, I would look into running the light from a different circuit, or the battery itself.

Second piece is that light. Not all controllers have that separate light circuit, but of those that do, nearly all are very sensitive to any overload - like someone installing a more powerful headlight without considering the increased amperage required to run it.

The front light has been working perfectly fine for more than 2 years.
It is a motorcycle (LED) H4 bulb, voltage: AC/DC 8-85V (https://bit.ly/3A6nI3z).

If it were my bike, rather than replacing the controller for the inop light circuit, I would look into running the light from a different circuit, or the battery itself.

Running the light from a different circuit, I presume I loose the turn ON/OFF option from my handlebar buttons, don’t I?

radvi said:
Running the light from a different circuit, I presume I loose the turn ON/OFF option from my handlebar buttons, don’t I?
Not if you reroute the handlebar buttons headlight ON/OFF wiring to the new circuit. :wink:

Back