What to pair a 3000w motor with? Assistance selecting.

Loginphp

10 mW
I am thinking of a new build that can only take 12-14 inch wheels. I don't have much tech knowledge on ebikes YET so I am afraid of choosing the wrong parts and having something malfunction.

https://www.qsmotor.com/product/12inch-3000w-hub-motor/

My question is if anyone can link me to a controller and battery that would push a 12 or 14 inch 3000w rear hub motor to it's comfortable limits. I want to eliminate as many bottlenecks as possible for such small tires.

Batter: 60v? 72v?
Controller: 42amps?

There are plenty of 3000w motors that small but I have no idea what controller or battery can push that kind of peak power.

markz said:
Depends on how fast you want to go, besides that you push more watts on those motors easy.
For me the speed would be depending on pushing the motor to it's maximum potential, so whatever speed that might be.

I was thinking a 72v batter with a 60amp controller, however I don't know anything about specific details that I might need to be aware of when choosing a controller or battery. Will ANY 72v battery work? Any 60amp controller? Do you have any links to provide to even better components for a 3000w motor?

Continue studying. While you're studying, maybe build some stuff that doesn't get juiced to its/your maximum potential. That's the best way to figure things out.

Chalo said:
Continue studying. While you're studying, maybe build some stuff that doesn't get juiced to its/your maximum potential. That's the best way to figure things out.
This is not very helpful lol I am just looking for direct answers to my direct questions so I can make a purchase. That's it. Problem is I have to make a purchase by next week lol so im trying to cut straight to any links for purchase. I'm good with understanding all the wiring and how to build it. I just need practical assistance on choosing right components. Hopefully there may be someone here that has an idea. I just simply need links from someone that knows more about the parts themselves to push the motor to it's maximum. Thank you!

You didn't even say what motor you were working with, or anything about it other than "3000W". That's evidence to me that you need to learn more before you try to burn your stuff up.

Chalo said:
You didn't even say what motor you were working with, or anything about it other than "3000W". That's evidence to me that you need to learn more before you try to burn your stuff up.

I guess I'm generalizing too much. I am thinking any kind of 3000w motor but you're right I wasn't specific my apologies.

I haven't fully decided yet but I'm thinking something like this.

Chalo said:
Loginphp said:

The specs are vague, but extrapolating from max voltage, the larger of the recommended tire sizes, and max speed, it looks like roughly 15 rpm/volt. They spec 6kW max, which is in the neighborhood of 60A at 96V nominal.

My calculations say you can get almost, not quite, 50 mph on a flat road with 5kW to the wheel (which would be close to the maximum you could get from 6kW electrical). I think 50 mph is a speed you can aspire to reach if you use 96V x 60A. Not whenever you want, but when conditions are favorable.

I think if you use 52V x 60A, you'll reach a moped-legal 30mph consistently, with brisk acceleration off the line. And when you encounter poor surfaces on your donut tires, you won't be seriously injured.

I really appreciate you very much! Very helpful. I never considered top speed so that would be really nice. I was just considering overall power utilizing 3000w.

Loginphp said:
Chalo said:
Loginphp said:

The specs are vague, but extrapolating from max voltage, the larger of the recommended tire sizes, and max speed, it looks like roughly 15 rpm/volt. They spec 6kW max, which is in the neighborhood of 60A at 96V nominal.

My calculations say you can get almost, not quite, 50 mph on a flat road with 5kW to the wheel (which would be close to the maximum you could get from 6kW electrical). I think 50 mph is a speed you can aspire to reach if you use 96V x 60A. Not whenever you want, but when conditions are favorable.

I think if you use 52V x 60A, you'll reach a moped-legal 30mph consistently, with brisk acceleration off the line. And when you encounter poor surfaces on your donut tires, you won't be seriously injured.

I really appreciate you very much! Very helpful. I never considered top speed so that would be really nice. I was just considering overall power utilizing 3000w.

I deleted that post because I made a math error-- used tire height plus wheel diameter as tire diameter, instead of 2x tire height plus wheel diameter. That means all the RPMs would translate to higher speeds (unloaded at least) in the real world. In turn that means 48V would be the closest relevant match for 30 real world mph.

Higher top speed would still be power limited, rather than wheel size limited, so 50 mph at 96V 60A would still be close to maximum.

You need to figure out what motor kv rpm per volt you want

You might as well buy the controller from the same place
https://www.qsmotor.com/controller/

And figure out the battery voltage, amp and ah then figure out the wheel size you want for the terrain you will be riding.

Loginphp said:
Chalo said:
This is not very helpful lol I am just looking for direct answers to my direct questions so I can make a purchase. That's it. Problem is I have to make a purchase by next week lol so im trying to cut straight to any links for purchase. I'm good with understanding all the wiring and how to build it. I just need practical assistance on choosing right components. Hopefully there may be someone here that has an idea. I just simply need links from someone that knows more about the parts themselves to push the motor to it's maximum. Thank you!
That's probably the most helpful piece of advice you could get in answer to your question. I'm guessing a generic 3kw hub? Check the builds using them, that's suitable for light motorcycles and can draw a lot of power meaning everything gets both too heavy and too fast for regular bicycle parts. A generic 1000w hub would be a good figure, get familiar without breaking the bank before jumping in the deep end.

Back