CA+PhaseRunner AND Separate Throttle for Regen

So, what I do know:

• If you use the Phaserunner directly, you can pull apart the 3pin jst throttle wire, expose the blue wire and have two separate throttles for acceleration and one for proportional regen.
  • If you have a Cycle Analyst, you can trigger progressive regen by setting things up in the PhaseRunner to recognize 0.8->0.0 as min->max regn and then use the CA to send that value while the ebrake is engaged, modulating it through the regular throttle.

What all my searching is failing to dig up is how you can use a separate throttle (lever, cable-operated-throttle, whatever-hall/pod sensor you've got) along with the CA for dedicated proportional regen. Is it just as simple as pulling the +5/GND/Blue wire out of the PR throttle bundle and leaving the PR's direct throttle alone?

Set my regen years ago for my trike, tweaked it, have not had to adjust it. Does not look like much has changed.
See you have been reading the manuals. Make sure the version is correct. Have not compared the different versions myself.
I'm referring to the CA3.1 and the PhaseRunner V2.

Breaking out he blue wire on the PhaseRunner for a second throttle input and sending 0.8v signal would engage min regen. The signal would be brought down to 0.0v for maximum engagement. Would assume that any voltage higher would be ignored, have not tested this and would try to keep the signal between 1.2v and 0.8v or off. This does not implement a motor cut off. It would go from throttle or idle to regen.

Have not looked for anything that would do this as a cable pull. The other devices are throttles that would just use the main throttle to achieve this.

by chuyskywalker » Sep 20 2021 1:36am

So, what I do know:
If you use the Phaserunner directly, you can pull apart the 3pin jst throttle wire, expose the blue wire and have two separate throttles for acceleration and one for proportional regen.
If you have a Cycle Analyst, you can trigger progressive regen by setting things up in the PhaseRunner to recognize 0.8->0.0 as min->max regn and then use the CA to send that value while the ebrake is engaged, modulating it through the regular throttle.
What all my searching is failing to dig up is how you can use a separate throttle (lever, cable-operated-throttle, whatever-hall/pod sensor you've got) along with the CA for dedicated proportional regen. Is it just as simple as pulling the +5/GND/Blue wire out of the PR throttle bundle and leaving the PR's direct throttle alone?

ZeroEm said:
Breaking out he blue wire on the PhaseRunner for a second throttle input and sending 0.8v signal would engage min regen. The signal would be brought down to 0.0v for maximum engagement. Would assume that any voltage higher would be ignored, have not tested this and would try to keep the signal between 1.2v and 0.8v or off.

I'll have to try that when the bits and pieces arrive -- it looks like if you have the blue wire separated out, there's actually support in the PR for detecting that as a second full range throttle that can use 1-4v (hall 5v) as min->max regen range. I'll probably go that route and see how it pans out.

(For extra info, I'm working on a trike and I plan to have the left brake lever activate just regen on the rear wheel, while the right brake lever will go to a hydraulic splitter for both front tires and also activate a motor cutoff.)

My setup is on a Trike. My shifters are on the top. Put a dual pull on the left for both front disc. The right side have my throttle below my palm, with a button for my thumb for the motor cut off and light regen.

Like to keep my four fingers around the steerer. For more regen I just move my hand down a little and push the throttle for more. You know how your fingers get tired on long rides pushing the throttle. I use my wrist now to push for throttle and for regen. This is more relaxed if you need to hold the throttle for longer periods.

Don't use my disc brakes much and mostly use PAS.

by chuyskywalker » Sep 20 2021 10:58pm

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Sep 20 2021 11:21am
Breaking out he blue wire on the PhaseRunner for a second throttle input and sending 0.8v signal would engage min regen. The signal would be brought down to 0.0v for maximum engagement. Would assume that any voltage higher would be ignored, have not tested this and would try to keep the signal between 1.2v and 0.8v or off.
I'll have to try that when the bits and pieces arrive -- it looks like if you have the blue wire separated out, there's actually support in the PR for detecting that as a second full range throttle that can use 1-4v (hall 5v) as min->max regen range. I'll probably go that route and see how it pans out.

(For extra info, I'm working on a trike and I plan to have the left brake lever activate just regen on the rear wheel, while the right brake lever will go to a hydraulic splitter for both front tires and also activate a motor cutoff.)

Back