Xtracycle 24D - RH212 Rear Motor - Torque Arm Help Request

finn1911

1 mW
Hi All,

I am in the process of moving my Nine Continent RH212 motor, which I got from Grin, over to a new-to-me xtracycle EdgeRunner 24D.

Grin is in the process of lacing the motor into a new rim for me, but last night after extricating the motor from the 26inch wheel it was in, i did some test-fitting and discovered that my current torque arm will not work easily on the edgerunner. Does anyone know of any torque arms that would work in this situation?

Here is the rear of the bike for context

PXL_20220119_044639556.jpg

The torque arm only fits over the axel in two ways, one of which is completely blocked by the frame and even then, the arm that would attach to the frame doesn't line up at all.

PXL_20220119_055516076.jpg

PXL_20220119_055538060.jpg

That is their TorqArm_V4. Perhaps TorqArm_V3 has a better angle for your frame? Or even TorqArm_V2 might line up its bolt hole with some real estate on the large flat dropout flange where you could drill a hole?

Looking at your last photo again, could you cut off the interfering end (where it is hitting the chainstay) of the part of the TA that slides on the axle so it can sit flat against the dropout? And slide the second part rearward (from where you have it in the photo), mark and drill a hole in the first part to bolt them together?

Might need a spacing washer between the TA and dropout to create space for the bolt? Parallax error in the photo makes it hard to tell.

Hey thanks for the reply. I will investigate your idea a bit further this evening and see if that's feasible. Seems like it's going to have to be some kind of DYI job since I can't find any off-the-shelf solutions. Sometimes I wish i had just gone with a front motor, even on the bike this came from there it seemed like I was stuck in integration hell for a while.

I've got some time to figure it out. Grin is currently about a two week wait for a wheel build, though I am lucky they are just a few blocks away from me.

finn1911 said:
Hey thanks for the reply. I will investigate your idea a bit further this evening and see if that's feasible. Seems like it's going to have to be some kind of DYI job since I can't find any off-the-shelf solutions. Sometimes I wish i had just gone with a front motor, even on the bike this came from there it seemed like I was stuck in integration hell for a while.

I've got some time to figure it out. Grin is currently about a two week wait for a wheel build, though I am lucky they are just a few blocks away from me.

V3 for the axle, and the V4 anchor piece that you have might line up, but hard to tell by the angle of your pics.

finn1911 said:
Grin is currently about a two week wait for a wheel build, though I am lucky they are just a few blocks away from me.
OK Lucky you! I would just take the bike over there and have them take a look at it, see what they have in the parts bins.

Back