Controllers for the cyclone mid drive?

SwampDonkey

100 W
I once tried to run a BBSHD on a cyclone controller. It would only spin the wrong direction. Was that the controller or the BBSHD that was "going the wrong way"?
Id love to try something like this on my cyclone. Will it work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115170410261

That controller

Sure, any brushless controller will work. But if you wire it up wrong like you did the Cyclone controller, you won't get the results you want.

Also, you will roast your BBSHD if you feed it that much juice.

There is a hall and phase wire combination that will make any brushless motor run forwards and backwards. You need to mix and match the wire combinations to figure out which combination works in the forward direction. The annoying part is that there are some combinations that will seem like they are working but will draw way too much current and damage your motor. I would suggest you monitor the current draw and look for the combo that yields the lowest current draw in the direction you want.

I have always heard that once you find the proper combo for one direction then you only need to swap any two halls and any 2 phases to reverse the direction. In my experience THIS IS NEVER THE CASE. I don't really understand it.

There are lots of threads around here with flow charts and strategies for searching for the right combination. I usually make a chart and systematically try every combo.

Be very careful increasing the current past the manufacturer recommended amount without a temp sensor in your motor. Its super easy to kill them. Cheap speed based ebike controllers ramp the current up super fast.

Chalo said:
Sure, any brushless controller will work. But if you wire it up wrong like you did the Cyclone controller, you won't get the results you want.

Also, you will roast your BBSHD if you feed it that much juice.

It wasnt wired up wrong. I tried every possible permutation and combination. It would ONLY spin backwards. This was the 72V 40A "tiny" controller from Luna. I bought 2 and both behaved the same way.

DanGT86 said:
There is a hall and phase wire combination that will make any brushless motor run forwards and backwards. You need to mix and match the wire combinations to figure out which combination works in the forward direction. The annoying part is that there are some combinations that will seem like they are working but will draw way too much current and damage your motor. I would suggest you monitor the current draw and look for the combo that yields the lowest current draw in the direction you want.

I have always heard that once you find the proper combo for one direction then you only need to swap any two halls and any 2 phases to reverse the direction. In my experience THIS IS NEVER THE CASE. I don't really understand it.

There are lots of threads around here with flow charts and strategies for searching for the right combination. I usually make a chart and systematically try every combo.

Be very careful increasing the current past the manufacturer recommended amount without a temp sensor in your motor. Its super easy to kill them. Cheap speed based ebike controllers ramp the current up super fast.

Yeah I saw the flow charts and did just that. I think I have a thread about it on here. Id love to see someone try it out. Would have been awesome to run the BBSHD at 72V with the cyclone "tiny" controller. I think I still have it laying around actually.

SwampDonkey said:
It wasnt wired up wrong. I tried every possible permutation and combination. It would ONLY spin backwards. This was the 72V 40A "tiny" controller from Luna. I bought 2 and both behaved the same way.
No such thing. Any DD motor that can spin one direction can spin the other.

SwampDonkey said:
Chalo said:

It wasnt wired up wrong. I tried every possible permutation and combination. It would ONLY spin backwards.

You missed something somewhere. If you can get it to run backwards, switch two phase wires and then shuffle the Halls until it runs forwards. There is a permutation that works.

Back