BBS02 controller differences

Motozoic

1 µW
I have 2 road bike commuters I've setup with Bafang BBS02 motors (see my sig). One of my controllers fried due to excessive load and I've recently replaced it with a new unit I procured from Luna Cycle. The date code on the new controller was definitely newer, I believe the 2021 timeframe. Installation was simple and I got the bike back into service. The controller drives the motor very differently than the original one, mostly in positive ways, but I'd like to understand what the differences are.

I bought an interface cable from Luna Cycle and it doesn't work on either motor assembly - I've not figured out what's wrong with it yet, but I did get as far as removing the heat shrink from the CCA and was going to probe it. The new controller applies power gradually and somehow manages to be significantly more efficient than the old one. My commute to work was cut down by at least 6-7 minutes and the battery never dropped below 60-70% capacity, whereas the old controller would just about deplete the battery in one run. Not only that, but I was able to ride at 30 mph which is a solid 5 mph faster than the old controller.

Just trying to understand the differences.

Did you ever establish what the difference was? I would expect the configuration to be different but it they were reset to the same it would be very interesting to understand what is going on....

If you read aroudn the forum's various BBS02 / etc threads, you'll find a number of firmware versions and differences between them, and some hardware changes as well, among the various versions of the controllers.

Bafang (and pretty much any other manufacturer) doesn't tell it's end users or it's dealers or sellers / etc about any of the changes, so when they order spare parts to fix something from Bafang they may get parts that are completely incompatible parts, despite being made for the "same" system, so when going to repair it they may not fit or they may not operate in the necessary way, etc.

The way the throttle vs PAS operates is one of the bigger threads about such differences.

Not all of the below are relevant, but you can skim to see which are.
BBS02 titled:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=*bbs02*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

BBS* titled (includes HD, 01, etc)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=*bbs*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Back