IGH hub for kid-hauling edgerunner with Grin All-Axel front drive.

finn1911

1 mW
I am switching my bike to an All Axel motor from Grin. The bike is equipped right now with a rear motor, but i want to try front drive and see how i like it. An expensive change, but I figure maybe I'll sell the old gmac. I like the gmac, but I hate how loud it is (wizzzz wizzzing along everywhere i go).

ANYWAY, that's the back story. I'm wondering now, if i go back to a traditional drive train, maybe I'll move to some kind of IGH rather than a derailleur based system. Any recommendations on something that would work for me? If it matters, right now I have a 50T single chainring in the front right now. I always have trouble knowing what type of gearing to use so any help on that front would help. I tend to sit in a fairly high gear in the back just to get a feeling of resistance most of the lower gears feel like i'm in a spin class or something, so i guess i prefer a higher-geared bike?

Shimano Alfine 8 if you have disc brakes, Nexus 8 if you don't. Sturmey Archer RX series hubs are also dandy, but the good ones (3 and 5 speed) don't have the gear range of Shimano 8. Enviolo and Rohloff and Kindernay are all fine, but expensive and quirky. These latter ones are best reserved for mid drive applications, because they can take boss level torque.

I have a juiced ODK v3 cargo bike, 20 inch wheels with kiddy seat on the back. It’s a 500W bafang front hub (running at 52v 1000W), and a SRAM i3 on the back. I find only having 3 gears is ok; 1st is very low unless you’re not using the motor at all, 2 is good to start off on the flat or going up a hill; and 3 is useful for adding to the top speed and gliding along (approx 40kph)

With the motor you don’t need a huge spread of gears I find. Key thing for me is having the top gear about right so you can pedal along. Love having the IGH, clean and tidy and maintenance free for the most part

Okay cool. Thanks for the replies. I'll start looking into probably the Alfine 8. I am curious about the Enviolo Automatiq as well, it seems to have some neat e-shift options but I'm going to guess it's expensive.

Back