Can Bafang hub motors be modified?

bikebike

1 µW
I have a Bafang motor on one of my bikes and I'm looking at one of their hub motors for the other. Does anyone know if these can be modified in terms of speed assist, etc, like the mid drive Bafang motors can be? I can't find any info about this online.

I have a bfbpm 500w running really nice on a KT sensorless controller. 52V 1000W or so. Not much more top speed but plenty of get up and go. There are a few threads about changing firmware

The bafang hub motor is a pretty standard motor. A sensorless controller uses the phase wires only (the 3 big ones) so will generally drive it just fine. Some controllers require hall sensors to work properly.

For reference the one I used was the S09P-BL with Bluetooth from bmsbattery.com, they have lots of different models to choose from

bikebike said:
I have a Bafang motor on one of my bikes and I'm looking at one of their hub motors for the other. Does anyone know if these can be modified in terms of speed assist, etc, like the mid drive Bafang motors can be? I can't find any info about this online.

Neither motor can be modified to change performance, unless you're talking about rewinding the stator. The Bafang mid drive motors have the controller built in, so any modifications to assist and changing setting is in the controller, not motor. So, for your hub motor (assuming that's what you have), it's the controller that might be changed, if it's programmable or user adjustable settings. Yes, you can use any "random controller" designed for a brushless motor, sensored or unsensored, square wave or sine wave, as long as it supports the features you want.

Back