Bafang M620 - Voltage, CANBUS and Display.

bonbond

1 mW
Hi all!

I’m about to pull the trigger on a Bafang M620 build and wanted to check some of my assumptions with you guys:

I’m ordering a 48v motor, I’ve read here that this is the best option as I could run that with a 52v battery if I wanted. That’s a better idea than ordering a 52v motor and running that with a 48v battery, correct?

The motor I’ve sourced uses the CANBUS protocols. I’ve read some long threads here, but I’m not clear on how much I’m locked out in comparison to my BBSHD on UART. Do I need to specify stuff like wheel diameter with the supplier, or can I make those edits through the display?

The display that comes with the kit I’m planning to order is huge (a C18). I have a 500C on my BBSHD build, which I love. Can anybody point me to a list of CANBUS displays that would work with the M620, or recommend something hat is small and discreet?

Thanks in advance! 😊

Running a 48v motor on 52v is going to be about inaccurate display issues when it comes to voltage/state of charge. What kind of issues is going to depend on the display.

Note that UART and CANbus displays are NOT interchangeable.

Pretty sure the DPC18 display will let you change wheel size and top speed (28mph max). Anything else you want to change isn't going to happen. Not yet anyway. Some pretty bright minds are working to change that. When and if not certain.

UART based BBSxx series motors are totally adjustable.

Thanks

My question on voltage was more because I don't want a 52v motor nannying performance if its reading from a 48v battery, but conversely don't want to brick the motor by giving it too many volts.

I've read here that a 48v M620 can easily handle voltage from a 52v battery, but a 52v M620 is going to start nannying with the voltage range delivered from a 48v battery. Anybody disagree?

I understand the UART and CANBUS displays aren't interchangeable, I just don't like the display I'm getting with this kit is and am interested in something as discreet as the 500C I have on my BBSHD.

On my current setup (500C display/BBSHD/52v), I can specify whether I'm running a 52v or 48v battery, so I get a sensible readout. Does anybody know if this is possible with a CAMBUS M620 and/or which displays offer this functionality?

I've messed around with the settings a lot on my BBSHD, but don't know anything about CAMBUS and am a little worried that I can't even adjust the basics (wheel diameter, top speed etc).

In summary:
  • Is running a 52v battery on a 48v M620 viable (or sensible)?
  • Can anybody recommend a CAMBUS display with a small form factor that offers the functionality to swap between battery voltages?
  • Just looking for confirmation that I'll be able to specify the basics on a CAMBUS system really - like wheel diameter.

Just looking for confirmation that I'll be able to specify the basics on a CAMBUS system really - like wheel diameter.

I don't think you'll get that confirmation. I'm seeing a lot of variability in what people can or cannot change on the new CAN bus firmware. I can change it on my bike, but have seen a lot of reports that folks cannot.

I really would like the DP-231 or DP-181 display for small size, but also can't confirm whether those can change battery voltages. They're also seemingly hard to source.

The question of swapping voltages is an interesting one, but one I don't have a good answer for. My electronics and programming experience say that there isn't a good reason for it to be a thing (no separate 52v display models, voltage is likely being transmitted as a CAN bus frame and not necessarily being directly measured by the display), but people do unreasonable things in system design all the time.

Back