need help driving a hybrid starter generator (hyundai hsg ipm)

elphhh

1 µW
been lurking for years, and every time i have a question it's already been answered on here. it's a nice place.

but now i need help. been building different variations of low powered scooters and bikes out of cheap controllers and basically scrapyard finds and mobility scooters for awhile. im a welder and fabricator and the shop i work out of has a cnc plasmacutter i program, and also currently having an amada 2kw laser recommissioned in the shop this week, so that's exciting.. but i've always worked on a shoe string budget on my projects, and i plan to continue, but i finally want to go bigger.

was able to pull the HSG, inverter, and lipo battery pack out of a kia optima before it hit the crusher. for $100 for all of it. besides the locals here, mostly kiwifiat and amberwolf (i believe) i can't find much information on how i can get this thing powered up without spending $1k+ for a controller.

im going tomorrow to pull the inverter out of a gen 2 prius, and also if i can, i'll grab the ac compressor out of the prius aswell. i havent found much info on getting those cool ac compressors used in an ebike/scooter project, but if anyone has resources for that they can point me to, thanks.

so i guess what im looking for is to ask if anyone has a lebowski brainboard they'd be able to sell me so i can try and hijack an inverter ? or i'm looking at the open inverters aswell, but the lebowski just seems more my style. or if anyone else has any other ideas or resources to point me towards.

figure 120v 150amp's would be fine for the HSG right ? i obviously have nothing set in stone, and always learning, so advice and resources are welcome. and trying to get away cheap, but i'm also very much open to work trades and would gladly make you anything custom out of metal for parts i'm going to need.

elphhh said:
was able to pull the HSG, inverter, and lipo battery pack out of a kia optima before it hit the crusher. for $100 for all of it. besides the locals here, mostly kiwifiat and amberwolf (i believe) i can't find much information on how i can get this thing powered up without spending $1k+ for a controller.
Sounds like you've already seen my Honda IMA / Lebowski hybrid controller thread; what I have there is pretty much everything I know about that end of things.

Kiwifiat, if he's still making htem, is probably your best source for the brainboard.

im going tomorrow to pull the inverter out of a gen 2 prius, and also if i can, i'll grab the ac compressor out of the prius aswell. i havent found much info on getting those cool ac compressors used in an ebike/scooter project, but if anyone has resources for that they can point me to, thanks.
What were you thinking of using the compressor for? Just the motor out of it, to drive the scooter?

Is the motor a standard 3-phase PM BLDC, or something else? And what position sensor / encoder does it use, if any? (need to know all that to figure out a control method).

What power level are you trying to get?

figure 120v 150amp's would be fine for the HSG right ? i obviously have nothing set in stone, and always learning, so advice and resources are welcome. and trying to get away cheap, but i'm also very much open to work trades and would gladly make you anything custom out of metal for parts i'm going to need.

I don't know if the Kia HSG is the same type, but there is at least one thread around here for using a (buick?) assist; pretty sure it was made to work before the thread ended. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=85514
also
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=110673&p=1651834&hilit=buick#p1651834 which points to
https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25888#p25888

BTW, it sounds like you have interesting projects; if you have time to write them up and take pics, it would probably help others doing similar things if you were to post them up. ;)

oh wow i didn't see this before looking up prius ac compressor motors..
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=95100

4kw ipm, and he built his own housing for it. it sounds like the lebowski inverter hijack would be best for that aswell.

just neat stuff. 2 of those would be a fun project. ipm's from my understanding are great for automotive stuff because there is no chance of magnets flying off failure, which is even better for bikes/motorcycles/scooters..

my current project is a fatcat style dirtbike, just like a regular dirtbike but with giant tires.. they are p much just unruly dangerous beasts, which sounds fun, and i've got a 60v vevor geared motor that needs a home. so it's just me hacking up a pitbike and building wide triple trees and a new stainless swingarm, i'm having fun but it's been slow going so far because of life.

i will get pictures and start a build thread for it soon while im here.

Back