Replace 350w motor with 500w motor?

oldcushman

1 µW
I would like to replace my defective 350w motor with a bafang 500w hub motor. Do I have to replace the controller as well? I would like to get addition power for hills. I do not need more speed. The bike has a 48v battery that is 13+ aH. I have a E-Joe Gadis bike from 2016.

It depends on if you want the full 500w from the new motor or if you are ok with the power the 350w motor had. The motor will only have as much power as the controller provides for it so if you want more power that's where you start. The new motor might have different connections than the old one so you might need to pull out the soldering iron but other than that it will work fine with it.

oldcushman said:
I would like to replace my defective 350w motor with a bafang 500w hub motor. Do I have to replace the controller as well?

What is your goal? Meaning, what do you want the system to do for you?

If you're simply replacing a broken motor, and it's a standard hubmotor, with the same plug as the new one, it's likely you can just swap out the motor and be ready to roll.

If it's not the same plug you may have some rewiring to do, but it would still probably work fine.

If your goal is to upgrade the system at the same time, you'd need to state what specifcally you need the system to do for you, under what specific conditions, for us to help you pick out new parts that would do that. :)

Back