phaserunner have no voltage on hallsensor

zablock

10 µW
hi folks,

after connecting the phaserunner for the first time i started autotune and the motor started to shake violently, the phase wires got hot and error message occured that there is a problem with the hall sensor. i thought the motor is scrap and tryed another but with the same result. so i measuered the hall sensor and found out there is 0 voltage comming from the phaserunner to the hall sensor. took a 5V line from another controller and used it as input signal instead the not working one from phaserunner and autotune succeeded and i drove my scooter without problems in this configuration for a while. but now i wanted to use it for another project and asking myself if there is maybe a solution for this problem. i guess the dc-dc converter in the phaserunner is dead but i wonder why the throttle is working without issues. the 5v should come from the same converter.
because the controller is in resin i dont thinks there is much hope but as we say in german: asking is for free ..so here i am ;)

SInce the throttle 5v is working fine, why not just run a wire from that to the halls for power? ;)

I'd use a diode in series with it (arrow or line on the diode pointing towards the halls in the motor) so that if you ever damage the motor wires, a short from a phase wire to that 5v line it won't destroy everything connected to the 5v line.

It won't be the 5v source in the PR that's bad, just a connection issue (or the internal diode if it uses one like most controllers do).

If your PR uses JST connectors, it's possible there is just a bad crimp on the JST pin for the 5v on the hall connector. Do you measure 5v on the actual wire from the PR, just not at the connector pin?

If it uses the Higo/Julet waterproof connectors, its' ahrder to test or fix this, but it too could have a fault in the contact-to-wire connection.

If there's no voltage in the wire itself, it could be a fault in the solder connection inside the PR potting on the PR PCB.

But you can also contact Grin Tech at http://ebikes.ca and see about getting the PR repaired by them.

amberwolf said:
SInce the throttle 5v is working fine, why not just run a wire from that to the halls for power? ;)

thank you for answer.
cos i use the PR outside i removed all connecors and extended the wires soldering it. then i use the original dashboard for lights controll and speed so i need to split the hall signal for speed monitor so there are 2 controller connected to the hall sensor and i can choose one for the 5v input and dont need to have a wire between the two cables on the PR. but of course the idea to use the input from the throttle is the best way for one controller solution. ty for the hint with the protecion diode.

as mentioned i have all connectors removed and can measure directly on the wires. thats why im sure this issue is in the controller. dont wanna blame it cos im pretty sure i caused this issue with a wrong connection or something else cos smoked too much ...always the same ;) this controller is a dream and i can recommend it to everyone. will contact grintech and see what they say. thanks for help.

E-HP said:
Riding is up to you, but I'd suggest not working on your ebike or charging your batteries while impaired. :shock:

you are so right. i will never forget soldering the xt60 connector to my 16s7p (21700) battery where i forgott to isolate the ground which was already soldered before connecting the positive wire to the xt60 and shorted the 2 pins with the iron. will never forget this event. same from me: dont smoke weed and solder!

Back