Using 5-pin display with a 6-pin controller.

Adrian_

10 W
My controller died so I ordered a new one but I ran into an issue with the display connector. My old controller and display uses a 5-pin connector which I believe is the standard one as this is the only connector that I seen used with displays but the new controller uses a 6-pin connector.

I have 3 displays laying around, SW900, S866 and S861, all of them use a 5-pin connector. I'm wondering if I can still wire up the display with the 6 pin connector? I provided pictures of both connectors. Top one is my old 5-pin connector and the bottom one is the new 6-pin.
20220628_212319.jpg

20220628_212336.jpg

Adrian_ said:
My controller died so I ordered a new one but I ran into an issue with the display connector. My old controller and display uses a 5-pin connector which I believe is the standard one as this is the only connector that I seen used with displays but the new controller uses a 6-pin connector.

I have 3 displays laying around, SW900, S866 and S861, all of them use a 5-pin connector. I'm wondering if I can still wire up the display with the 6 pin connector? I provided pictures of both connectors. Top one is my old 5-pin connector and the bottom one is the new 6-pin.
20220628_212319.jpg

20220628_212336.jpg

Is the new controller a Bafang controller (labeled something like DC MOTO as I recall)? what is the model number?

You have an SW900, S866, and S861. DId one of these work with your old controller. Is the new controller the same brand as the old one? LCD displays only work with the same brand of controller that they came with.

I have an SW900 and it only works with my ebikeling controller. I also had an S866 that only worked with brainpower controllers. And I have KT LCD1. LCD3 and LCD4, which only work with KT controllers. All of these have the same connector, and I could plug in any arbitrary LCD and it would light up, but they can't communicate with a foreign controller.

E-HP said:
Adrian_ said:

20220628_212319.jpg

20220628_212336.jpg

Is the new controller a Bafang controller (labeled something like DC MOTO as I recall)? what is the model number?
It was advertised as 'Voilamart' controller but the label on the controller says "DC MOTO CONTROLLERBYLITHIUMBATTERY". So I'm not sure if it's just rebranded/wrong brand name or it's actually made by Bafang. It does not seem to have a model number, the label only says the "DC MOTO" line, manufacture date and specs about the controller (voltage, current, brake level ect).

docw009 said:
You have an SW900, S866, and S861. DId one of these work with your old controller. Is the new controller the same brand as the old one? LCD displays only work with the same brand of controller that they came with.

I have an SW900 and it only works with my ebikeling controller. I also had an S866 that only worked with brainpower controllers. And I have KT LCD1. LCD3 and LCD4, which only work with KT controllers. All of these have the same connector, and I could plug in any arbitrary LCD and it would light up, but they can't communicate with a foreign controller.

The old controller was unbranded and was using S861 with it, the new controller was advertised as "Voilamart" which is a brand that I used many controllers from on many bikes and I know they work with SW900's, Voailamart doesn't even have any other displays for sale on their website except SW900 so I'm pretty confident that SW900 should work with all of their controllers. I'm not sure if this controller just uses a different SW900 connectors as I know that there's multiple manufacturers of SW900 with different versions and they vary including the connector size and wiring or this controller is a OEM/ODM controller for a specific bike and uses a proprietary display.

Back