Bafang Canbus G060 wattage

I have what I believe is a Bafang G060 hub motor because that is what the dealer told me (it has a serial number but no Bafang logo). It is advertised as a 750W motor.
They told me I can limit the motor to be rated at 500W continuous by changing the top speed setting to 32Km/hr.
I don't understand how this could be done because wattage isn't an easy measurement and a rated motor is a rated motor. I believe one would have to physically alter a motor to change its rating.

Seeing as I am questioning the dealer it is not like I can go to them to verify things.
Is what they are telling me likely true or not?
Is there a way for me to look up the serial number with Bafang to determine what the motor is?

ty!

The wattage rating of the motor is not relevant, unless you have a legal requirement to use a motor that is rated at a specific watt number (which is silly, because that rating has nothing to do with real power usage).
https://ebikes.ca/learn/power-ratings.html

The watts used by the motor will change based on the actual load on the motor. So the harder you use it the more power it uses; meaning the faster you go, or the harder you acclerate, or the steeper the slope you climb, or the higher wind speed you ride against.

THe watts available for the motor to use depend on the controller's current limit, and the voltage of the system, and the battery's ability to supply the power.

The speed limit of the controller does not change the watts available to the motor, it only changes the top speed it will provide assist at. Riding at a lower speed uses less power, assuming the same conditions (wind, slope, etc), but it doesn't change the actual power limit.

If you want to reduce the watts used by the motor, you'd have to change the current limit in the controller, and if that isn't possible you'd have to change the controller itself (and it's display) to one with a lower current limit, or that is adjustable to the degree necessary.

Regarding measurement, watts is very easy to measure using any cheap wattmeter; it simply measures the battery voltage and the battery current and multiplies them, continuously, and displays this on the screen. I use the Cycle Analyst for this
https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/cycle-analysts.html
because it also does other things I need, but there are other much cheaper options that only do measurement and display. Some random examples on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ebike+watt+meter&crid=22A0YJJCKJE06&sprefix=ebike+watt+meter%2Caps%2C133&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

If you require a display of actual motor watts used (which will be less than battery watts because the system is not 100% efficient), you'd need a more advanced controller that measures phase current and voltage and has the ability to calculate watts from it and send this information to a display. (I'm not sure which presently-available controllers do this).

endlessWork said:
I have what I believe is a Bafang G060 hub motor because that is what the dealer told me (it has a serial number but no Bafang logo). It is advertised as a 750W motor.
They told me I can limit the motor to be rated at 500W continuous by changing the top speed setting to 32Km/hr.
I don't understand how this could be done because wattage isn't an easy measurement and a rated motor is a rated motor. I believe one would have to physically alter a motor to change its rating.

Seeing as I am questioning the dealer it is not like I can go to them to verify things.
Is what they are telling me likely true or not?
Is there a way for me to look up the serial number with Bafang to determine what the motor is?

ty!

amberwolf said:
The wattage rating of the motor is not relevant, unless you have a legal requirement to use a motor that is rated at a specific watt number (which is silly, because that rating has nothing to do with real power usage).
https://ebikes.ca/learn/power-ratings.html
Europe, Britain, North America. They all have legal requirements for max wattage.
peak watts,
nominal watts,
Continuous watts,
just plain watts.

Local law is rated continuous watts not exceeding X. The G060 is rated for 750 watts; I mean 750 Watts and 80Nm on the spec sheet. What type of watts, I don't know. Maybe cow watts.
Continuous watts in 100F temps is different than continuous watts at 32F (I don't know by how much).
I don't think the power supply is considered part of the motor by law; Bafang sells a motor that inlcudes a hub and everything inside of it.
I figure if I put something to slow heat loss to the environment I lower continuous wattage and make it an unrated motor. The law says I am not allowed to modify it to have more wattage but not so it has less. So let me make it less.

It would be so much easier to have an acceleration + speed limit.

If you're set on obeying the specific word of the legal limits, and your locality uses the controller's output as the rating (rather than the simple labelling of the motor), you'll need to have a controller that has a current limit that, at the battery voltage you are using, does not let the system exceed the wattage limit you wish to obey.

If that is 500w, then you divide that wattage by the maximum full charge battery voltage to get the maximum amps the controller can be allowed to output. Then find a controller that either is already limited to that, or is adjustable down to that limit. If your locality does not allow adjustable limits, and you wish to obey that rule, then you will need to get one that is not adjustable and already has the correct current limit.

If your locality uses the labelling of the motor as the rating, you'd need to purchase a motor that is specifically labelled and rated for or below the limit you wish to obey.

Note that the motor itself does not limit power at all, regardless of what it is rated for, which is why a legal limit based on a motor rating is silly. You can label a motor with any number you want, but it does not affect how much power that motor uses or produces in a given scenario--the controller does all of the limiting of power to the motor.

If your locality doesn't state what part of the system the rating is actually limiting, such as saying "the bike cannot exceed 750watts" then to legally obey it you would need to consult legal counsel to find previous case law that gives a legal interpretation of this limit that you can apply to your system in a practical way.

Most systems simply limit the current at the specific voltage they run at so that the effective system maximum power usage cannot exceed the power limit created by this. Most controllers have a momentary peak allowable that is much much higher than their limit, before the limit kicks in, but once it does, it wont' exceed that limit again until the load drops so that power usage reduces below it, and then spikes again from a high load.

If you slow motor heat loss to the environment, the motor will likely overheat and be damaged fairly quickly, if you are using it anywhere near it's ratings. *Increasing* heat loss to the environment is what is typically done, so that excess heat does not build up and damage parts inside. Motors do not use less power just because they are hotter. (the wiring does increase in resistance so current flow does decrease, but this is not significant and simply causes more waste heat buildup inside the system by reducing it's efficiency, and if you block the heat from escaping it just increases the likelihood of system damage).

If you slow controller heat loss then the FETs and capacitors will overheat. Capacitors then degrade until they no longer perform their function, and voltage spikes then cause the FETs to fail. The FETs, even without capacitor damage, will overheat and fail, once the heat reaches sufficient levels, or they degrade over time from the excessive heat.

If you slow battery heat loss to the environment, and it builds up enough, it can cause a battery fire. If you are in a very cold environment, then it's often beneficial to slow the heat loss from the cells, but otherwise it is detrimental to the lifespan of the cells, and can damage them in ways that can make them a fire hazard.

If you want an acceleration and speed limit, you can do that with some controllers, and for those that can't you can use systems like the Cycle Analyst v3 from http://ebikes.ca to do whatever kind of limiting you wish. Acceleration would be limited by ramping of throttle output, and/or limiting current or power, or using the feedback loops (P/I) to change how the whole system ramps up when demand is placed.

endlessWork said:
Europe, Britain, North America. They all have legal requirements for max wattage.
peak watts,
nominal watts,
Continuous watts,
just plain watts.

Local law is rated continuous watts not exceeding X. The G060 is rated for 750 watts; I mean 750 Watts and 80Nm on the spec sheet. What type of watts, I don't know. Maybe cow watts.
Continuous watts in 100F temps is different than continuous watts at 32F (I don't know by how much).
I don't think the power supply is considered part of the motor by law; Bafang sells a motor that inlcudes a hub and everything inside of it.
I figure if I put something to slow heat loss to the environment I lower continuous wattage and make it an unrated motor. The law says I am not allowed to modify it to have more wattage but not so it has less. So let me make it less.

It would be so much easier to have an acceleration + speed limit.

I really don't understand your answer because it is all over the place with all sorts of different scenarios...lots of information (some of it bad) but a lack of knowledge, especially of the law.
BTW I am not wrapping a motor in a blanket.
Sorry.

endlessWork said:
I really don't understand your answer because it is all over the place with all sorts of different scenarios...lots of information (some of it bad) but a lack of knowledge, especially of the law.
The law is different in different places. The only one that matters is the one where you actually are. I don't need to know (or care) what that is, only you do, if you're wanting to obey it. If you don't already know what it is, you'll need to consult your locality's legal resources to find out. (I already know what the law is where I am, and obey that.)

My replies contain information to cover the various things you have asked or implied the need to know. If you don't need that information, then you can certainly ignore it.

If you have specific, precise questions, you can get specific, precise answers. Otherwise much more general answers must be provided, covering a lot more scenarios. Or else no answers at all, but only more questions to get more precise information from you to narrow down the results.

If you don't like the answers you get, you'll have to do your own reading and research; I've been here doing it and helping people that want it for over a decade; I have some idea what I'm talking about, though I certainly don't know everything. ;) Up to you if you choose to accept it or not. I'm not going to do your research for you, however--I will provide any answers I already have, but it's up to you to do the work.

You yourself said:
I figure if I put something to slow heat loss to the environment
And that means trapping the heat inside whatever it is you're slowing the heat loss from (which is, in fact, equivalent to wrapping it in a blanket). The consequences of that are what i stated above. If you don't believe me, try it out.

If you did not mean that, then you need to reword your statement to say what exactly it is you did mean, or else no one will understand you. Be as precise as possible, and people will more precisely understand you.

I don't doube you have some experience but OMG. Just stop, please. I was born on a day, not yesterday.

I don't know if it is possible to limit the power to 500W, I think it might be a gutless wonder because even a 500W motor will peak at a higher wattage.

I don't know if this motor is rated to be peak 750W but from what I read it is probably nominal or continuous 750W. Bafang doesn't specify and I saw a youtube video where the guy was saying they were the same coil winds on on his Bafangs of different marketed wattage.

If someone else has some valid input that would be great.
Yes, I don't mind adding a bit of insulation, motor cases already provide some insulation enough that some people drill out their cases to increase the continuous wattage (I have read this happens in Europe) so they can have a greater wattage output. I don't know how much would be safe and effective though. This thing isn't going over 32Km/hr and I don't live on a mountain.

I would rather not have to advertise to swap it out with someone or sell it. I don't even know if that is possible without a lot of work because of the Canbus and 52V battery. One nice thing about this bike is that there a case in the frame for a mid-mount.

Bafang G060 series (250-750w) are rated nominal for both 36&48v. These motors come with multiple KV versions (turn count). Bafang uses multistrand winding so similar looking or thickness wires does not mean same KV same copper etc.
As said motor is passive componet with zero watts in it. Power is restricted through controller settings depending on system. Some systems cannlimit wattage accurately some limits max amps. Many ebikes have their controllers/displays locked to some extent and then you not have access to these settings.

endlessWork said:
Sorry.
Veru silly biting the hand that feeds you.

State exactly where you plan to use your bike, when laws are so stupidly written then you must try to figure out how (whether) they are enforced.

Very often they just go by the visible label, in some cases no DIYing is allowed etc.

TuomasK said:
Bafang G060 series (250-750w) are rated nominal for both 36&48v. These motors come with multiple KV versions (turn count). Bafang uses multistrand winding so similar looking or thickness wires does not mean same KV same copper etc.
As said motor is passive componet with zero watts in it. Power is restricted through controller settings depending on system. Some systems cannlimit wattage accurately some limits max amps. Many ebikes have their controllers/displays locked to some extent and then you not have access to these settings.

Thanks. Is it likely there is a chip in the hub (for me that would mean "motor") that Bafang can program so the motor identifies as a 500w hub?

there are 2 different spec sheets and models for g060 motors. The parameters look identical except for the weight so I am assuming that is due to the KV being greater.
Both have the same torque rating, KV/Winding is not mentioned.

The only identifying mark appearing on it is some serial number which seems to be a Chinese state coding secret, yes, I really want to to know how to figure that one out. I am assuming it is 750watt but maybe the person that sold it to me was wrong on that.

https://bafang-e.com/en/oem-area/components/component/motor/rm-g060250350500dc/
https://bafang-e.com/en/oem-area/components/component/motor/rm-g060750dc/

john61ct said:
endlessWork said:
Sorry.

State exactly where you plan to use your bike, when laws are so stupidly written then you must try to figure out how (whether) they are enforced.

Very often they just go by the visible label, in some cases no DIYing is allowed etc.
I know when people are trying to talk over my head and I am a bit sensitive to this type of internet behavior, when people try to do it to me at work its like "get me away from this guy, nothing will get done here", call me cranky.
The DIY thing is new to me.
PEI and I am the guy with bad luck so yes it will be enforced if something happens; god help me if someone gets hurt and sues.

endlessWork said:
TuomasK said:
Thanks. Are all those controller parts outside of the hub?
I get the windings part but would Bafang do that or just make the same motor and throw some chip in there to limit it or maybe they do Q&A and rate them differently?

I ask this because there are 2 different spec sheets for g060 motors. The parameters look identical to me with 1 exception one says for 27.5 wheels the other 700cc AND dimension "c" looks like a typo. Both have the same torque rating.

https://bafang-e.com/en/oem-area/components/component/motor/rm-g060250350500dc/
https://bafang-e.com/en/oem-area/components/component/motor/rm-g060750dc/

john61ct said:
endlessWork said:
Sorry.

I know when people are trying to talk over my head and I am a bit sensitive to this type of internet behavior, when people try to do it to me at work its like "get me away from this guy, nothing will get done here", call me cranky.
PEI and I am the guy with bad luck so yes it will be enforced if something happens; god help me if someone gets hurt and sues.

All controller parts inside controller only. Motor xontains no limiting chips or circuits. Motors in same series (G060) differ in winding (KV) and have different rpm/volt and torque charasteristics. Spec sheet is one "general" document and does not accurately describe every version. Sometimes high KV (rpm/volt) motors are marketed for 20" wheels and low KV for 26" or 700c wheel. Torque rating itself is revealing term...its rating. Torque is result of applying certain current(phase current) to the motor that has Nm/A torque parameter. More phase current results more torque.

endlessWork said:

If you think people here are purposely talking over your head while trying to explain some e-bike power basics, you have a lot of reading to do.

This is about how much power the controller can handle without overheating. A properly sized controller will have some excess capacity available to avoid burn downs. That excess is called "overhead".

It's also about how much power you can feed a motor without burning it down. Motor capacity in watts, is a completely theoretical value (often optimistic, often under rated) given to a motor while pulling a constant load without overheating. These ratings may be ultra conservative to keep them legal, and they may be wildly optimistic for marketing purposes.

I would suggest you listen to some of the more experienced riders and builders, because NOBODY is looking at/caring about the rating of the bike you buy/build/ride. The equipment to actually test the ratings of the motor powering your bike is extremely rare, and law enforcement and insurance companies are not very likely to push the issue - you're innocent until proven guilty, right? It's on THEM to prove your motor is illegal when it comes right down to it. That's going to be nearly impossible on anything but a bike that's been purchased over the counter with "advertised" ratings......

If you're paranoid about this point, BUY a bike with ratings that allow you to sleep well at night.

Yes, I am breaking a few eggs for a solution here. Happens.

AHicks said:
If you think people here are purposely talking over your head while trying to explain some e-bike power basics, you have a lot of reading to do.
Maybe they were having a bad day being a tech myself with a ton of experience with varying people. I know what I read in those 2 responses. Thank you.

AHicks said:
This is about how much power the controller can handle without overheating. A properly sized controller will have some excess capacity available to avoid burn downs. That excess is called "overhead".
It is not about that.

AHicks said:
It's also about how much power you can feed a motor without burning it down. Motor capacity in watts, is a completely theoretical value (often optimistic, often under rated) given to a motor while pulling a constant load without overheating. These ratings may be ultra conservative to keep them legal, and they may be wildly optimistic for marketing purposes.
Yes. It almost all about this! :bigthumb:

AHicks said:
I would suggest you listen to some of the more experienced riders and builders, because NOBODY is looking at/caring about the rating of the bike you buy/build/ride.
TuomasK was very spot on with his response.
Amberwolf may have simply had a really bad day but they were talking cr*p. Telling me my motor will fail if I in anyway inhibit heat loss. Going on some tangent about me looking to prevent heat loss from the controller. On in vague terms about legal items he does not know about.

AHicks said:
The equipment to actually test the ratings of the motor powering your bike is extremely rare,
Amberwolf said the equipment was easy and a volt meter, I didn't buy that.
Is the equipment a dynamometer?
Like this guy built?: https://youtu.be/1Pd0lUKWe7o
Like these highschool kids did for a project for a PIC32?: https://circuitcellar.com/research-design-hub/projects/build-a-motor-dynamometer/
Or this one I can buy off the shelf (OK for smaller R/C cars): https://www.minipro.com/products/electric-motor-dyno
A cop shop somewhere is more likely to purchase something like this though: https://www.magtrol.com/product/wb-23-and-wb-27-high-speed-eddy-current-dynamometers/

A few phone calls and a favor and this thing can be sent anywhere for testing.

AHicks said:
and law enforcement and insurance companies are not very likely to push the issue - you're innocent until proven guilty, right? It's on THEM to prove your motor is illegal when it comes right down to it. That's going to be nearly impossible on anything but a bike that's been purchased over the counter with "advertised" ratings......
They have a serial number, experience and only a handful of manufacturers to chose from.

Good luck on that view of the legal system, you missed the reasonable doubt part. Trust me I have been through the legal system for 4 years now; innocent as hell but they just kept pushing along. I don't need that. At the very least they can say "I think that is a large motor" and it would cost thousands just to get it back and massive amount of stress.

I am fairly experienced on this stuff BUT I am not experienced on ebikes I can also appreciate that my question is oddball, please trust me I am not trying to trip people up.

So I ask questions like
"how can I identify my motor by the serial number?"
and
"does bafang put an programmable ID chip into any part of the motor they sell?" because if so I will have that ID changed and voila!!! :bigthumb:

"They have a serial number, experience and only a handful of manufacturers to chose from."

If you are talking bike serial number, at best they can only figure out how it was originally built. Most any production bikes can be modified/changed without a lot of difficulty. How about an analog bike that's been converted to an e-bike with a 1600 watt mid drive? What good would that serial number be?

If you are talking motor serial number, there are countless Bafang hub drive knock offs for instance, with serial numbers that won't have a lot of meaning to enforcement officials. You MIGHT be able to decipher a Bafang serial number if you screwed around long enough. Trouble with that is they sell 750 watt "kits" where the internals of a 500 watt motor are removed and 750 watt internals are installed, leaving the 500 watt serial in place. Pretty sure an up to date enforcement official is going to struggle with that scenario.

I'm not going to go into this any further. You sound like you are smart enough where eventually you'll figure all this out on your own. I'll just close by saying this is WAY WAY more about how you are riding than what you are riding. If you're behaving like a jack ass, you deserve whatever happens to you. If you are riding in a conservative, courteous manner, you'll never have an issue.....

On the serial number thing. It is for the motor and I have not a clue how to start on that. I have read some others having issues on this and the mysteries were not solved.
It would not surprise me if I did indeed have a 500W motor marketed as 750W; on the plus side it would end all this stuff.
Contacting Bafang isn't working out, I don't feel comfortable yet taking up the time of a different dealer for a problem with a part that didn't come from them.

" If you are riding in a conservative, courteous manner, you'll never have an issue....." That simply minimizes attention and works until it doesn't.

endlessWork said:
On the serial number thing. It is for the motor and I have not a clue how to start on that. I have read some others having issues on this and the mysteries were not solved.
It would not surprise me if I did indeed have a 500W motor marketed as 750W; on the plus side it would end all this stuff.
Contacting Bafang isn't working out, I don't feel comfortable yet taking up the time of a different dealer for a problem with a part that didn't come from them.

" If you are riding in a conservative, courteous manner, you'll never have an issue....." That simply minimizes attention and works until it doesn't.

What ebike brand? Open it up and mystery will be solved.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220705-203846.jpg
    Screenshot_20220705-203846.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 882
thanks I see that Fun8. Will wait for other stuff to peel away then I suppose it may be the only way.

I have heard that in Europe, the cops have a portable dynamometer, and will pull suspicious ebikes over and test them on the spot. I looked for some examples of that, but didn't find any, which may be just a reflection of my search competency.

To be sure you are on the right side of the law, maybe that is what you need to do. Set up your bike with motor and controller and give it a real world test.

The PEI regulations look pretty similar to the Alberta regs, pedal assist, max speed of 32 kph, 500 watts . I haven't heard of anybody being stopped for being on an illegal bike, at least not yet. You can certainly buy an off the shelf bike that exceeds all those limits.

Maybe the safest thing to do is get a factory ebike that meets the Euro regulations of 250 watts, that gives you a margin to stay legal.

I also note that PEI will give you $500 to buy an ebike.

https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/service/e-bike-incentive

biphaeboh said:
I have heard that in Europe, the cops have a portable dynamometer, and will pull suspicious ebikes over and test them on the spot. I looked for some examples of that, but didn't find any, which may be just a reflection of my search competency.

To be sure you are on the right side of the law, maybe that is what you need to do. Set up your bike with motor and controller and give it a real world test.

The PEI regulations look pretty similar to the Alberta regs, pedal assist, max speed of 32 kph, 500 watts . I haven't heard of anybody being stopped for being on an illegal bike, at least not yet. You can certainly buy an off the shelf bike that exceeds all those limits.

Maybe the safest thing to do is get a factory ebike that meets the Euro regulations of 250 watts, that gives you a margin to stay legal.

Haven't heard dyno testing maybe because 250w bikes are not 250w. They do (rarely though) speed monitoring.

I have 2 ebikes. One is RadRover pre 2019 EU L1e-A (insurance needed) version 750w Max. Other is so called 250w pedelec class (no insurance needed) Haibike 2022 Xduro Nduro 8.0.
In STOCK configuration these bikes have following max power.
- 750w RadRover ~780w peak, ~400w continous.
- 250w Haibike ~990w peak, ~550w continous.

TuomasK said:
biphaeboh said:

Haven't heard dyno testing maybe because 250w bikes are not 250w. They do (rarely though) speed monitoring.

I have 2 ebikes. One is RadRover pre 2019 EU L1e-A (insurance needed) version 750w Max. Other is so called 250w pedelec class (no insurance needed) Haibike 2022 Xduro Nduro 8.0.

That 250W limit means a lot.

biphaeboh said:
TuomasK said:
biphaeboh said:

That 250W limit means a lot.

Means alot but means not much 😄

endlessWork said:
Sorry.

Run your “750w” motor from a 36V controller with a 10A limit. What’s the maximum power the motor can output?

Run your “750w” motor from a 48V controller with a 30A limit. What’s the maximum power the motor can output?

The number written on a motor means nothing, the controller provides the power limiting.

I believe in some EU states, their tactic is simply making DIY illegal, then banning sales from lying vendors.

Bosch & co get a big advantage, regular consumers get raped at the register, and the hobby is forced underground

john61ct said:
I believe in some EU states, their tactic is simply making DIY illegal, then banning sales from lying vendors.

Bosch & co get a big advantage, regular consumers get raped at the register, and the hobby is forced underground

According to this article it is basically illegal to build your own ebike anywhere in the EU. You could build a bike but you would have to prove that all parts and the finished product meet EU standards. You would have to pay to get it tested. Nobody is going to do that.

Back