How much current can I put through this:

image.jpgI want to put this on my bike. One set of holes for charging and other for a loop key to turn it on and off.

It seems the safest charge port for my bike except for not being waterproof, but could make a cap or maybe a thin layer of silicone on both sides. The challenge being using the other of the 2 outlets for a loop key and doing 140 amps isn’t good for the thin wires but what of just the contacts? It perfectly fits this metal box that perfectly fit the other parts.
http://47.252.1.206/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/11A-66.pdf

could toast while riding. What else could I do while riding?

.. what would happen w 72v shorting through this in the rain? w lifepo4? ion?

20A max ( 16A in practical every day use) ( and its build for AC, ... DC very well may arc and pitt the contacts... ) .

Use a better item. Those are not made for any significant current.

Why u say 20a? That’s like 25% more than the breaker would allow but I see no info. The contacts very likely aren’t ideal or even copper but maybe the outlet could be beefed up with copper contacts and more pressure and a copper plug could be made and it would be good. The plug contact surface area seems bigger than an xt90 at least so theoretically it could be better. Maybe if had a high amp power supply could see the heat produced and extrapolate

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Why u say 20a?

Because 20a is the typical max those outlets are made for here in the USA. Run at 80% load, that is 16A. Yes, the breaker is the "final say" in how much current can pass, but is not the rating of the NEMA outlet. Breaker might be 15A and it might be 14g wire... or its 12g and a 20A breaker based on design code... but usually the outlet is a higher spec than the breaker ( for code reasons).

It certainly should have some writing on it that tells you max amperage. Its either 15A or 20a.

I'll be honest I can't see a single decent advantage to using this and about a dozen disadvantages, some of which are extremely dangerous (like the obvious one of somebody plugging something into it). Let's face it outlets are a terrible design that we're stuck with, why would you want to use one when there are dozens of far superior connectors whose designs are less than 100 years old.

scianiac said:
Let's face it outlets are a terrible design that we're stuck with, why would you want to use one when there are dozens of far superior connectors whose designs are less than 100 years old.

I argue that a design that's been basically unchanged for a century of common use is excellent... for doing the one thing it was designed to do. But this isn't that one thing, and it's a bad idea.

I think it's a good benchmark of performance to aspire to-- everybody everywhere uses it and it works perfectly 99.999% of the time? It would be nice if we had something like that.

Glad ur being honest but I don’t think there’s a danger of anything being plugged in and as I say u could ride while toasting with a toaster plugged in the charge port or I think could plug the toaster in the loopkey socket and think that would work as well but be problematic. Plugging in other appliances maybe would blow them up and not good for the battery but it’s a danger that can be avoided.
The danger seems lack of water-proofing but then again any common plug has the contacts even closer

The contact area is large in comparison to plugs commonly used. The materials and pressure likely would need to be bolstered but I think has potential.

Maybe I was being dramatic by saying terrible but it's far from what it would be if it were designed now. Like the fact that 99% of them are installed upside down because it looks like a face that way. This is bad because it means that a falling object can knock the plug out and live contacts can be exposed and directly shorted that way (the correct way up you it would just hit the ground pin). Just the fact that live contacts can be exposed at all is a poor design.

Back to the question at hand, now you're talking about modifying it to make it work when there are other options that work just fine? It's not only not waterproof but it's really not designed to be. Like I could throw some silicone grease around an XT60 and have a pretty good chance of keeping it waterproof but the inside of a nema outlet just has tons of places for water to sneak in and collect. You also have the danger of now your charger has two plugs on it, one of which connects directly to the DC bus.

scianiac said:
....the fact that 99% of them are installed upside down because it looks like a ...

The National Electrical Code (NEC) doesn't require a certain direction. The NEC allows outlets to be installed with the ground plug hole facing up, down or sideways.

However yes I do agree with you on the resto of those certain points. Not made for DC transmission. There is alot better out there. Smaller. Better quality. More current capability.

I use a XT 90-s for my charger input. You can get these panel mount too, i think. My charge leads are served by 8awg and I can charge at the full 1C capability of my pack, 25A. I have this line fused too, aside from the main battery fuses.

25(A) x (72v) is a healthy 1800w charge rate. I do not see myself needing more. As is, the XT90s is overkill, but is small, and attenuates a spark on the charger leads.

scianiac said:
Like the fact that 99% of them are installed upside down because it looks like a face that way. This is bad because it means that a falling object can knock the plug out and live contacts can be exposed and directly shorted that way (the correct way up you it would just hit the ground pin). Just the fact that live contacts can be exposed at all is a poor design.

I've heard this argument before, but I've had a long weird life around uncountable numbers of such outlets and I've never witnessed the problem first-hand, or even heard of it happening to anybody accidentally. (I have seen video of people doing it intentionally.) I certainly wouldn't want to have to deal with big chunky British style plugs just to get a benefit that doesn't apply to anybody.

Chalo said:
I certainly wouldn't want to have to deal with big chunky British style plugs just to get a benefit that doesn't apply to anybody.
Those are that big so that they can accommodate fuses in the plugs. I do not particular like 'em either.

how much surface are and what pressure to make what conductance? Dogdipstick..when I say ur name I feel like I’m cursing. I think u have a high current supply maybe u could do it? Compare xt90 to outlet. Can enter a modified socket third contender.

Back