Mock mid-drive Bafang to check if fits frame?

Shohreh

1 mW
Hello,

I know someone who'd like to get this entry-level front loader (without the front drive), but needs a mid-drive because she lives in a hilly place.

Unsurprisingly, Google returned no hits of that bike retrofited with a Bafang motor.

I was wondering if Bafang sold "mock motors" (for lack of a better expression) just to check if the case fits a particular bike.

Thank you.

19CF0E7A-A3F8-41E5-AB06-2D354F5C0D47.png

Shohreh said:
Hello,

I know someone who'd like to get this entry-level front loader (without the front drive), but needs a mid-drive because she lives in a hilly place.

Unsurprisingly, Google returned no hits of that bike retrofited with a Bafang motor.

I was wondering if Bafang sold "mock motors" (for lack of a better expression) just to check if the case fits a particular bike.

Thank you.

is your pic of the same bike model? if so, is that an igh rear?

Same brand, but the actual bike could be different — I might buy it second hand. It has a Nexus 7 IGH.

Is there no other way than using Bafang's measures and hope it fits?

Bafang.BBS01.cotes.png

Thanks very much. I'll have to use the BBS01 so as to remain within the 250W limit set in Europe.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=80319&p=1202079&hilit=bafang+mid+drive+installation#p1202079

Shohreh said:
Hello,

Thank you.

Well it is NOT a mock motor but you can print out the PDF version at 1:1 scale.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=117026&p=1725210&hilit=Bafang+drawing#p1725210
In theory one could extrude portions of the 2D drawing to make a 3D model that could then be printed on a 3D printer. Would take a bit of time to get it right though.

I did a precise 2D drawing of my frame (twice ... first time was not precise enough) and then overlaid the BBS02 block.

ebuilder said:
Without a 3D model to create a 'section of the model'...don't have to recreate the entire BBS02 spindle sleeve and gear reduction drive casing....I believe a 2D drawing will have limited application other than using a scale right off the flush edge of the BB shell to where the gear casing intrudes.
The simplified 3D version has limited use in identifying optimum BB spacing for the BBSHD. That is really not much of an issue for the BBS01/02 as they only fit standard 68 to 73 mm width bottom brackets.

To identify possible fitment problems (inference) with unusual frame designs, a much more complete model is needed. The 2D version served my needs (also the first step in creating an accurate 3D model) but only because I had the ability to also produce an fairly accurate drawing of the frame as well. One can see the potential inference in the drawing below and just barely see the small notch I made in one side of the frame in the picture.
Potential Problem.png
To create a full 3D model of the BBS02 would require some excess time and resources I do not currently have available. No matter how many measurements I make, I find that I always need to go back to the original hardware for more when building a model. Thus I would also need to come up with another BBS02 motor (lest I have to pull the one off this build :? ). I might do that next year if the spirit moves me.

ebuilder said:
LewTwo you wrote:
3D model isn't as not much of an issue for the BBS01/02 as they only fit standard 68 to 73 mm width bottom brackets
You misquoted me. I said that the BB width was not much of an issue.

If it fits the BB it will be very low slung.

ebuilder said:
tomjasz said:
How do you know? Have you built with the OP's frame? Is so, do you have a picture of the BB interface?

You just have to look at the frame to see it, since it's so obvious, so certainly with your experience you can see it too.

ebuilder said:
E-HP said:
ebuilder said:
tomjasz said:
How do you know? Have you built with the OP's frame? Is so, do you have a picture of the BB interface?

You just have to look at the frame to see it, since it's so obvious, so certainly with your experience you can see it too.
Show me. Let's see why the motor has to hang low.

the bike has no downtube, it's horizontal.

ebuilder said:
Please show me. Sounds like you know the bike. How about a picture of the BB?
Are you saying this bike is a 'no build' with the BBSHD? What is the ground clearance with the motor hanging straight down?

There's a picture up above, but sorry, I can't help you see it.

ebuilder said:
Well if you can't produce the picture of the BB interface with the BBSHD let me dispel the disinformation you are spewing in this thread.
Here is a picture of a cargo bike with no downtube where the BBSHD is 'high':
bbshd 1.jpg

And here is a picture of a 29er with BBSHD hanging low:
bbshd 2.jpg

What's the problem again?

Ya I can see where those look a lot like the cargo bike in the first post, especially if I close my eyes.

ebuilder said:
Here, this will help with your lack of imagination.
A scaled mock up of the BBSHD under the frame rail of the bike in question.
There are countless BBSHD builds like this in the wild:
PS. I do like your comedy tho. Good for a laugh.

BBSHD3.jpg

I guess it depends on what you consider low slung, but this the lowest possible position it could have on a frame, straight below the bottom bracket, hanging down like a cow's udders. I consider that low slung. But you can call it whatever you want to call it.
fetch

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/ebike-building-directions/38886-bullitt-cargo-bike-custom-rohloff-gates-bbshd

ebuilder said:
tomjasz said:
Please explain why it would matter. I have built BBSHD bikes where the motor is pointing almost straight down.
Mtb's have higher BB's than street bikes as a rule. Unless doing extensive off road riding, the motor protruding down isn't a bad thing because there is ample clearance. If fact, there is an upside to having the motor more straight down is it lowers the CG of the bike for better handling.
7 years of BBSxx series, installation, sales and support, add good eyesight.

ebuilder said:
tomjasz said:
ebuilder said:
tomjasz said:
Please explain why it would matter. I have built BBSHD bikes where the motor is pointing almost straight down.
Mtb's have higher BB's than street bikes as a rule. Unless doing extensive off road riding, the motor protruding down isn't a bad thing because there is ample clearance. If fact, there is an upside to having the motor more straight down is it lowers the CG of the bike for better handling.
7 years of BBSxx series, installation, sales and support, add good eyesight.
Point is your comment is irrelevant. Straight down is fine. Thanks for sharing...lol.
No, it's not a comment, it's a fact, and a consideration. Only the OP can determine relevance. I have a steep sloping driveway that levels out abruptly at the sidewalk. My wife's car, with a lot more clearance that that low slung BBSHD, always scrapes the heat shield making that transition. With the long wheelbase of that cargo bike, it would very likely do the same unless making that transition at an angle. So in my situation, it would be something worth considering.
4" is the maximum speed bump height nationally, so for regular street riding, likely not an issue, but in any case a consideration, relative to certain situations that the OP may encounter.

I hope you can move on. The OP asked if it would fit. You couldn’t sort the fit with available data. Your shortage of experience brought some misinformation regarding the viability of a BBS02B. Experience suggested it would be a low mount. At no point have I indicated that it would be an issue. Simple fact presented as a consideration. But you decided to dramatize a simple fact.

To quote you, “ A suggestion is, lower your rhetoric, we are all enthusiasts here.
Or put more bluntly, grow up.”

Unsubscribed.

Dang it I checked don’t follow.

You’re needy. It’s been said in a number of ways, I did not say it would be and issue. It COULD be. So I made a clear and simple statement. Your exaggerated numbers don’t impress. They’re really quite grade school. I’ve had at least a dozen inquiries regarding the possibility of repairs on busted up BBSxx series motor shells. Grow up. You’re looking silly making much adieu about nothing. But I’ve seen this so many times before. Internet warriors needing to be stroked and rewarded for their limited experience and willing to argue points that, well, are pointless.

PLONK

ebuilder said:
There are countless BBSHD bikes built with motors hanging straight down. Sounds like it is your problem with your driveway and nobody else that own bikes with motors hanging straight down, including me. Mine isn't hanging straight down but close and it is only 'speculated' this build would hang down. A guess and nothing more.

Perhaps, but seems like you're being presumptuous by thinking that the OP has no possibility of encountering the same situation, and since it's the OP's thread, not yours, it's a consideration.

Here's how the situation would present itself on my driveway, which is steep, but not as steep as others in my neighborhood. My wife's car has more clearance than any bike chainring, yet because of the wheelbase, scrapes each time. My truck has more than a foot clearance, but sine it's' wheelbase is even longer, it comes close. I regular bike would have no issue, due to the short wheelbase. The OP's bike has a bottom bracket more forward that this example, so already slamming into the concrete.
Clearance.jpg
So, most people on my block would have the issue, and a bunch around my neighborhood would too, because I don't live where you live, and don't need the world to center around me either. That middle ground comment tells it all.

Back