Rear Freehub, Direction to remove

LewTwo

1 MW
OK ... so I have ordered a 6 inch long 12mm hex key with a 1/2 square drive.
(My Husky brand Allen Wrench set only went up to 10mm).
I do not want to make it any tighter than it already is.

Stupid question:
Which direction to rotate the wrench to loosen it?

For inquiring minds: Why do you want to remove it ?[/i]
Well I have already gone to the trouble of removing the skewered 10mm axle, bearings and nuts because I want to replace it with a solid, nutted axle (assuming I can find the right pieces-parts .... Chinese vendors are damned short on dimensions of their products). That only leaves the Freehub installed in the wheel and I have no previous experience with them. I figure this is a good time to pull it out and have a look-see. That way I will know what I am dealing with should I have a problem with it in the future.

For a Shimano hub the tread is clockwise.
Clamp the wrench in a vise, place the wheel on the wrench, turn the wheel to loosen.

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-axles.html

PaPaSteve said:
For a Shimano hub the tread is clockwise.
Clamp the wrench in a vise, place the wheel on the wrench, turn the wheel to loosen.

https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-axles.html
LOL .... you assume that I have a bench on which to mount a vice. My present accommodations do not allow for such luxuries.

Funny thing is the hex key will only go in from the non-drive side. I tried turning it both directions. Tried an 18 inch ratchet. Banged on a 12 crescent wrench with a 3 pound pump hammer. It just ignored me. Decided to leave well-enough alone for the time being.

I have a couple of other small tasks that are best left to someone with the proper tools. Perhaps I will challenge the LBS to remove it.

LewTwo said:
Well I have already gone to the trouble of removing the skewered 10mm axle, bearings and nuts because I want to replace it with a solid, nutted axle

Why? There's no improvement to be had that way.

Back