Recommendation? - replacement controller for Estate folding bike with throttle

okz00k

10 mW
I invested in an Estate foldable bike from Aldi. The folding frame suits me and the small 36v 7.5Ah battery is OK for the short trips, however, the controller sucks.

It has a single (high) PAS setting making it difficult to control at low speed. The slightest pedal movement gives it full power. The bike has a twist throttle, but it is intended only for "walk assist". Max speed of 6 kph. The controller has a grey wire link which when open disables the 25 kph limiter, but I cannot find anything which will delimit the throttle. So, I think it needs the controller replaced.

I would prefer a controller which allows full throttle operation and three stage PAS. But for simplicity throttle control only is also acceptable.

Looking forward to you recommendations.

What's your budget?

You'll likely need a display with buttons to control the assist level, and a controller that implements pedal assist better, so you may end up spending around $100 for the upgrade on something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Controller-Waterproof-Electric-Bicycles%EF%BC%8824V/dp/B0B7KFQ48S/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2VY3BFZ6GND0O&keywords=24v+kt+15a+controller&qid=1662734698&sprefix=24vkt+15a+controller%2Caps%2C250&sr=8-1

This combo doesn't come with the pedal assist sensor, so you'd be reusing the one on the bike, otherwise you'd need to get on separately.

You could also look into the KT series of controllers using the open-source firmware (vs factory firmware) developed here on ES (there are a few threads about it, and a github page, etc). It might even support true cadence-control-PAS, like the Cycle Analyst, where the speed of pedalling actually controls the "throttle" amount; I can't remember if it does or not.

The OEM KT controllers with factory software don't, but the hardware can do it, so if the OSFW does, you'd have actual control of the system via pedals if you wanted it; this is how I ride my SB Cruiser trike, using the CycleAnalyst v3 to read the PAS sensor for a controller that doesn't directly support that.

So another option is a "dumb" controller with no display or options, that just operates via throttle. Then use the CAv3 to read the throttle/PAS / etc and send a throttle signal to the controller to operate it the way you want it to. It's more expensive to do this, but is generally more tunable than most controllers would be.

I bought a similar folding bike recently, the Huffy Oslo for under $400 shipped on ebay. It also had a single speed PAS, which was well behaved but limiting. The lack of a throttle was even more limiting. While the controller had an unused connector that could accept the throttle, I upgraded it to a KT controller,

You can't go wrong with the amazon link that E-HP provided. It's a KT controller, which has the best pedal assist feel in my opinion. The five PAS levels have predetermined current levels, so you get a certain amount of watts per level. If you ride right at the top of the watts, it feels like a bike. It does not measure pedal speed. With 15A, that's about 500W on 36V. The display will fit well on a folder, and let you fold it.

The price of $86 shipped is acceptable too. About the same as if I bought from aliexpress. Your existing throttle and PAS sensor should work.

I have taken delivery of this unit: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000009937495.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.51751802ULIZ4r
Function looks OK. I will need to make up cable adapters for:
- Hall effect connector on controller has female 6pin dual in-line Molex type connector while motor cable has micro 5pin in-line.
- Throttle cable has female 3pin while controller also has female connector
- PAS cable has male 3pin while controller also has male 3pin.
I still want to be able to revert the bike to its original controller so, now off to search for the connectors to make up my adapters.
original_9053d982-ff12-4f81-9b2e-1ac7c7d43e87_IMG20221123152139_BURST000_COVER.jpg

To program the controller I am also looking for the motor parameters. Motor has the following stamp: EW07R36V250W 20"2205 3569. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
IMG20221123143840~2.jpg

The KT displays are generally pretty forgiving on running a motor with almost settings for P1, which isthe magnet x gear pruduct, but they run best when the right setting is used. So you can get it spinning and then tune it.

One way to get the P1 is to power up the controller and put a diode on one of the hall sensor outputs so it flashes. You can also us a meter, but it kind of sucks. Then rotate the wheel one revolution backwards and count the flashes. That's P1.

Motor cable only has 5 wires. Then it has no speed sensor. You'll have to buy one if you have a geared motor and want the speedometer to show pseed when coasting. This also allows the odometer to register correctly.

On a geared motor, KT controllers calculate the speed using the motor position sensors when it is spinning. Then when the motor stops \while coasting, the KT shifts to using a speed sensor. You set P2 to the number of pulses per revolution, which is one for an external sensor and most motors. Some bafang notors use six for the internal sensor.

Instead of searching for adapters, you can get a kit and replace the connections of your devices to match the controller connectors. It’s more clean and reversible. A kit like this https://a.co/d/irrwegM would work. This is especially handy if your controller is inside the frame. The adapters will take up room real fast.

LewTwo said:
The Estate Folding E-bike
https://www.estatebikes.com/product-page/folding-e-bike

Ew.

Maybe remove the saddle and install a better bike under it?

Chalo said:
LewTwo said:
The Estate Folding E-bike
https://www.estatebikes.com/product-page/folding-e-bike

Ew.

Maybe remove the saddle and install a better bike under it?
That actually does look like a fairly good spring equipped saddle.

Back