Bafang 250, 350, 500 hub motors

Freddy1

1 mW
When I look at the Bafang website, the G060 250,350, and 500W hub rear fat bike motors all share the same technical data sheet. Same dimensions, same torque, same weight. Only the 750 version is different, being heavier and a little more rated torque.

So my question is what IS the difference between the 250, 350, and 500W versions (if any)?

Thanks,

Spec sheets aren't always complete, and I don't know if theirs is or not.

So I don't know what the specific differences are between their models....but one of the biggest differences between *actually* higher wattage motors and lower ones is that they can dissipate more waste heat, or generate less of it for the same phase currents.

Sometimes the ratings are "real" in that the motors are tested to survive that much power..but whether the ratings provided are for peak power usage or continuous, and under what conditions, is almost never stated (and because some sellers lie, it's hard to trust even the ratings that do have sufficient qualifying information).

Some manufacturers sell differently *labelled* versions of the same motor for different markets because of legal restrictions that require a *motor* to be rated a specific wattage or less (because lawmakers don't understand how systems work, and so the laws don't accurately specify the parts of the system that limit power output).

This page:
https://ebikes.ca/learn/power-ratings.html
has a bit to say about "motor wattage ratings" that may be useful.

What is even more useful is the http://ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html since you can pick a modelled motor from the simulator and see what it will actually produce under various conditions. (some of them are also thermally modelled and will give overheat conditions)

EDIT:
There may not be much useful info, but there are various posts about different versions of the G060, so in case they might be helpful, they're in this list
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=G060&ch=-1
(I recommend ignoring the posts by EndlessWork)

Freddy1 said:
When I look at the Bafang website, the G060 250,350, and 500W hub rear fat bike motors all share the same technical data sheet. Same dimensions, same torque, same weight. Only the 750 version is different, being heavier and a little more rated torque.

So my question is what IS the difference between the 250, 350, and 500W versions (if any)?

Thanks,

Fact. They(250-500) are all the same. There are multiple winding(turn count) versions of those motors. Last number on the model label Marks the turn count version (6 to 10 at least).
Rated torque means rated so actual figure depends on actual phase current input.

TuomasK said:
Fact. They(250-500) are all the same. There are multiple winding(turn count) versions of those motors. Last number on the model label Marks the turn count version (6 to 10 at least).
Rated torque means rated so actual figure depends on actual phase current input.

Thanks for the reply. Just a little confused (nothing unusual about that). Are you saying the 250-500 are absolutely identical and it its just marketing spin, or the number of winding is different between the various size motors?

Freddy1 said:
TuomasK said:

Thanks for the reply. Just a little confused (nothing unusual about that). Are you saying the 250-500 are absolutely identical and it its just marketing spin, or the number of winding is different between the various size motors?

Not sure the reasoning behind but they are exactly the same. Not 100% sure if you can get every "wattage version" in all turn count versions, but that is not cause for different ratings.

My theory is that they are the same motor, and the three ratings line up with the three input voltage in the specs. Playing around with the Grin simulator, using those voltages (48V, 43V, 36V), and using the slider so the motor power is 250W, 350W and 500W, it seems like the meltdown times are the same.

E-HP said:
My theory is that they are the same motor, and the three ratings line up with the three input voltage in the specs. Playing around with the Grin simulator, using those voltages (48V, 43V, 36V), and using the slider so the motor power is 250W, 350W and 500W, it seems like the meltdown times are the same.

If indeed the 250W, 350W, and 500W motors are really all the same (they all have the same torque spec e.g. 80Nm, and weigh exactly the same) and it is just marketing spin, that's straight out fraudulent misleading conduct on the part of Bafang. Just allow retailers to charge people more thinking they are getting something extra when all they may be getting is a different sticker on the box.

Back