Rear hub making weird noise

Hi. I am almost done making my first stealth bomber but I ran into a little issue. Just to let you all know I have never road this ebike yet. But the problem is that there is a strange rubbing noise that wasn't there before and it just started. I was testing the throttle on my ebike and then I noticed that the wheel came to a sudden stop and the single speed freewheel was coming loose and made the wheel stop. So I retitened it and now it's making this noise. Here is a link to the video. https://youtu.be/Y667FTNYYz8

I also tested it while it wasn't connected to the
controller or battery and it still made the noise

I hope someone knows what it is thanks.

Edit: took the freewheel off and the noise is still there must be coming from the inside, any ideas?

UniversalModder said:
Hi. I am almost done making my first stealth bomber but I ran into a little issue. Just to let you all know I have never road this ebike yet. But the problem is that there is a strange rubbing noise that wasn't there before and it just started. I was testing the throttle on my ebike and then I noticed that the wheel came to a sudden stop and the single speed freewheel was coming loose and made the wheel stop. So I retitened it and now it's making this noise. Here is a link to the video. https://youtu.be/Y667FTNYYz8

it looks like the freewheel is rubbing on the dropout which is why it's loosening too. you need a washer/spacer.

E-HP said:
UniversalModder said:

it looks like the freewheel is rubbing on the dropout which is why it's loosening too. you need a washer/spacer.

I took a look and it doesn't look like it rubbing on the dropout to me. Someone online told me it could possible be the bearing since it stopped so quick, but I'm not sure yet since I haven't opened it

E-HP said:
UniversalModder said:

I took the freewheel off and the noise is still there must be coming from the inside, any ideas?

UniversalModder said:
I took the freewheel off and the noise is still there must be coming from the inside, any ideas?

Loose magnet in the rotor? Some other foreign object in there?

If the axle bearings are shot and let the axle move relative to the hub shell, the stator and rotor could be making contact. If you can rock the rim side to side when the axle nuts are tight, this is a clue.

Open up your motor! And post photos, please.

Chalo said:

I was thinking about that, but the bike has never run, so it didn't get dislodged by heat, so it would be like that from the factory.

Chalo said:
UniversalModder said:

If the axle bearings are shot and let the axle move relative to the hub shell, the stator and rotor could be making contact. If you can rock the rim side to side when the axle nuts are tight, this is a clue.

will do I'm going to be opening it tomorrow. The motor spins smooth and has no rocking or anything loose feeling to it, it just started making that light rubbing noise after the wheel locked up.

E-HP said:
Chalo said:

I was thinking about that, but the bike has never run, so it didn't get dislodged by heat, so it would be like that from the factory.

Yeah the motor has never been used yet, I have just been settings things up in the controller settings and the bike has been on a stand the whole time for testing purposes.

UniversalModder said:
E-HP said:
Chalo said:

Yeah the motor has never been used yet, I have just been settings things up in the controller settings and the bike has been on a stand the whole time for testing purposes.

Doesn't mean it's not a magnet or something else bouncing around in there, but less likely than if you had run the motor hard. I have no idea what kind of quality control they have making those things, or if they test run the motors before sending them out the door.

E-HP said:
UniversalModder said:
E-HP said:
Chalo said:

Doesn't mean it's not a magnet or something else bouncing around in there, but less likely than if you had run the motor hard. I have no idea what kind of quality control they have making those things, or if they test run the motors before sending them out the door.

Yeah I'm starting to think its a magnet slightly rubbing against the casing. I know right, I really hope they are testing these things before they box them up.

Chalo said:
UniversalModder said:

Here are the photos of it being apart nothing looks like it was rubbing to me. Is it normal for the magnets to be touching on one side and not the other?

Attachments

• 20220930_225729.jpg
    20220930_225729.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 351
  • 20220930_225842.jpg
    20220930_225842.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 350
  • 20220930_225837.jpg
    20220930_225837.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 350
E-HP said:
UniversalModder said:

I posted some photos if you wanna see what you think of it

UniversalModder said:
Is it normal for the magnets to be touching on one side and not the other?

That would be a bad thing when the motor is assembled. When it's open, you might just be seeing the rotor tilting because it's unsupported on one end.

If magnets are rubbing, you probably won't be able to tell without lifting out the stator. But that's when the magnets get a chance to bite your hands. So be careful.

UniversalModder said:

I would pop the stator out just to get a full picture of what's going on. You may be able to tell right away if it's rubbing against the magnets, but any rub marks, etc. Plus you can see what's going on the other side in case something else is loose and flopping around. Be careful.

Chalo said:
UniversalModder said:
Is it normal for the magnets to be touching on one side and not the other?

That would be a bad thing when the motor is assembled. When it's open, you might just be seeing the rotor tilting because it's unsupported on one end.

If magnets are rubbing, you probably won't be able to tell without lifting out the stator. But that's when the magnets get a chance to bite your hands. So be careful.

Thanks for that info. I actually was just looking at the bearing once again and I'm starting to think its the bearing. When I held the side case with the bearing in it and spun it on my finger I can feel something hitting over and over, it's also not spinning smooth either. I ordered a new one and its gonna be here tomorrow, ill be giving a update on if it makes a difference.

E-HP said:
UniversalModder said:

I would pop the stator out just to get a full picture of what's going on. You may be able to tell right away if it's rubbing against the magnets, but any rub marks, etc. Plus you can see what's going on the other side in case something else is loose and flopping around. Be careful.
I actually was just looking at the bearing once again and I'm starting to think its the bearing. When I held the side case with the bearing in it and spun it on my finger I can feel something hitting over and over, it's also not spinning smooth either. I ordered a new one and its gonna be here tomorrow, ill be giving a update on if it makes a difference. If that doesn't help I guess I'm gonna have to pop out the stator.

Back