Connect to ASI controller

lineslim

1 mW
Hi,

I am trying to connect to the ASI controller (picture below, marked 10-000666, 1839-45132 on a sticker). I downloaded the BACdoor PC software from a post in this forum and connected the USB cable coming out of the controller, to the PC. No luck. Battery was attached to controller and turned on via the control panel on the bike, red diod on controller light up).

Is this USB cable actually not for communication, but for supplying 5V to the controller?
Do I need the USB TTL converter mentioned in other posts even if I have got and USB cable on the controller?
What I would like to do is to remove the annoying 25km/h speed limiter.
Grateful for your advice on how to do this?
gi8vsgn2pzx758sj9rzmxs5

What system is the controller from?

If it's from an OEM (prebuilt) bike maker, it might be factory-locked so that it will not respond to anything other than factory-specific software. It might even be write-protected, so that it cannot be further modified at all (but it seems unlikely that they would've done this and still leave a USB connector on it).

I tried to find more info about the system via the controller numbers, but the only hit I got searching on the marked numbers is this page
https://www.navitasvs.com/wiring-diagrams
for this club car wiring diagram
https://www.navitasvs.com/_files/ugd/e11542_bd59264563d048da832c3af641423a45.pdf
but the controller they show doesn't look anything like the one in your image (and I'm pretty sure the ASI couldn't run a club car even if it could run a brushed motor).

It is for a 36V bike, about 3 years old called "E comfort", from the Swedish low-cost chain Biltema, so it may well be some OEM special controller. There is also another smaller sticker on the controller that says 10-000666 and S1839-34495.
The front wheel motor is marked SOF1812FD0345 but I had no luck googling it.
One observation is that when I connected the controllers USB to the PC before installing BACdoor, I got a windows message that the USB device connected is not recognized. After installing BACdoor, I do not get that message anymore, but there seems to be no reaction at all either from windows or BACdoor when connecting the USB. Am I doing something wrong when connecting the controller? I looked in the device manager but found no malfunctioning device.

Biltema bikes have been posted about here before, but I don't recall if any used ASI controllers (or if anyone was trying to program them). I haven't gone thru any of the links, but:
THreads mentioning Biltema
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Biltema&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Posts with the word
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Biltema&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=-1&t=0&submit=Search

I couldn't find anythign on any of those numbers, except the stuff I linked before.

Depending on your windows version, it may simply hide any device it had a problem trying to load a driver for or connect to, and not even show it in device manager. Iv'e had this happen with windows versions and several USB devices over the years, from XP to 10, and audio interfaces to serial-usb converters to data storage devices.

When it does, sometimes installing the software for the device installs the driver correctly and fixes the issue, but sometimes plugging the device in before installing the software/drivers means the device will *never* work on that system without first hacking out the incorrectly-detected entries in windows (usually in the registry). :( That can really suck to figure out, as there is rarely anyone that's posted a solution to it online that I can find (just that they had the same problem, and sometimes had to revert windows to a previous restore point, or even wipe/reinstall it, to fix the issue, which is too drastic a solution for me to use).

It's also possible that the USB device in the controller isn't somethign windows installs drivers for. It might be something that windows "ignores" and is communicated with at a lower level by the software for it, which is a "nonstandard" way of doing things some companies use when they don't want anyone else to hack or access their devices, and only allow their proprietary software to talk to it.

Thanks,
It seems no one, at least in this forum, has accessed this particular controller via USB.
Hacking the registry/reinstalling seems too much trouble, I guess I just have to wait untill someone posts a solution.
My older 24V Biltema bike had a much simpler chinese controller that was very easy to mod by a solution posted online, without even connecting to a computer. Not so easy with this modern Canadian one apparently :-(

Back