New Bike Charge Percent 56.3v is my "100%"

Dorosko

1 mW
I just bought a 52v Kepler bike. Overall the bike is very good especially given the price. I noticed that my battery would only go up to 56.3 volts but when you turn on the bike the display says 100%. I assume this is to extend the life of the battery and it's what I typically charge my batteries to. That said, if I'd like the option of occasionally charging over 85%. The charger puts out 58.8v. Do you guys think this is built into the charger or could something like this be built into the BMS? If it's built into the BMS, can I charge it through the power output xt60 connector rather than the charging port to charge higher than 85%?

That would calculate to 4.02v per cell which isn't right for even a conservative charge ( usually more like ~4.1v )

Have you put the pack on a charger for an extended period of time ( ~24 hrs ) so that the balancing can happen since you bought it?

Dorosko said:
If it's built into the BMS, can I charge it through the power output xt60 connector rather than the charging port to charge higher than 85%?
If the discharge port is not the same electrical connection as the charge port ("common port" BMS), then charging thru the discharge port means the BMS cannot stop the charger from charging regardless of potential error conditions, such as overcharging cells if they are unbalanced, or any overcurrent or overheating problems, etc.

So unless you know *for certain* that the BMS is a common port BMS, don't charge thru the discharge port, and don't discharge thru the charge port.

So are you sure it's a 14S li-ion chemistry battery (nominal 3.6-3.7Vpc) ?

Did the charger come with the battery?

If yes to both then you should get an accurate DMM and ammeter onto the battery posts and just keep going with the charger set to 58V for longevity,

58.8V is absolute max only go there after you have determined the pack is balanced - you need access to the per cell/group voltages

That's interesting. A friend of mine is looking for a good factory ebike. I've been looking at the options, and recommended a couple of them. He lives at the top of a big hill, and a pretty steep climb. 300 ft in just around 0.7 miles. Basically a 10% climb, made up of 8% to 15% parts. I told him to get a test ride on that bike, since I think it could probably make it up the hill if he pedals too.Kepler.jpg
That's of course if he saves enough battery to do it at the end of a ride.
I'm watching this thread, since I never heard the 56.3V issue mentioned. I'll tell my friend to ask the dealer about it, too.

I made a mistake with the voltage. It does go to 58.8. The display only shows percentage and it's wildly off. It'll show 100% when it's at 85. I appreciate being educated to not charge through the power out. I've got a parrallel splitter now to charge both batteries from the same source. I've also got it set up so I can use up to 3 chargers to charge at a reasonable rate, 7.5amps. I assume there's no issues charging two batteries from the same source. If you want a fast bike with a big battery at reasonable price, the kepler is by far the best option. I can cruise at 38 and over 30, I didn't want to push it, with a passenger on the rear rack.

Back