Anyone read Chinese? help with ebay 40A controller wiring

Hi, I am looking to find if this controller has a "soft start" wire before I buy it. The ebay listings have no diagram that I can find.

Many controllers come with a terrible slow soft start "feature" enabled- I want the ability to turn it off to give full power instantly!

Also if anyone has used one of these a review would be great!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 208
electric_nz,

If you take a better picture (not tilted), Google Translate may be able to help. Cut and Paste the image of the text into the GT website.
Still, if you can imagine translating "Briggs & Stratton" into a foreign language, you may find that the results are not being very helpful.
There are several "flavors" of Chinese writings, depending on the region of China. Good luck.

something something model 6 aluminium super speed sine wave controller, only for use on mopeds.

The pinout is unreadable without a better photo

Nothing about soft start.

Please see the below photo. I guess that is the translation you want. But I do not know if it means enable soft start or disable soft start.
Actually, your ebay seller should help you on that.
es.jpg

Thank you for that.

Unfortunately the eBay sellers do not appear to be able to source them from their wholesalers - supply chain issues? I have had 2 refunds now.

Buyer beware to anyone else looking at these!!

electric_nz said:
Thank you for that.

Unfortunately the eBay sellers do not appear to be able to source them from their wholesalers - supply chain issues? I have had 2 refunds now.

Buyer beware to anyone else looking at these!!
If you need the translations for the other chinese words, please advise and I will try my best to help.
Also, when you have done that successfully, please advise how you do the connection so as to cancel the soft start. I may need to do that in my future ebike.

Hi, that looks just like the controller I just ordered on Aliexpress, with a detailed english description: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001022735304.html

I'm building an outdoor robot with 2 "electric wheelbarrow" geared hub motors (48V/500W) and the controller I've been using so far for experimenting has proven too weak. So I hope this controller, which looks to me pretty well built by the photos, will do a better job. I want to control it via ESP32 so I hope I can get it to respond well to PWM.

Just in case anyone can point me to a decent controller (ideally with PWM input and no "intelligence" like ramping etc.) for 48-60V @ 40A constant current, ideally with 3.3v PWM input, be it DIY or off the shelf, I'd be thankful.

EDIT: I just compared more closely, and the one on Alibaba seems to have a different wiring, sorry for the possible false alarm. The case and plugs looks the same to me though.

arnolde said:
I want to control it via ESP32 so I hope I can get it to respond well to PWM.
You may want to use a small hardware lowpass filter (like a simple RC filter) to smooth the PWM (throttle?) into a steady voltage, and ensure it stays within the voltage limit both low and high of the controller's throttle input at all times the controller is powered, on, and enabled. Othewise the controller may detect a throttle fault and shutdown until power-cycled, or actually try to respond to the switching voltage with rough pulses of motor power, if the frequency and duty cycle happen to coincide with the controller's sampling of the input (if the controller doesn't itself have a low-pass filter on there, which it might, in software or hardware).

Does the ESP32 version you're using have an actual analog out, vs just PWMing a digital I/O pin? If so, you could use that instead, and directly control throttle voltage.

Regarding getting a different controller, one or more of the many VESC variations available probably accepts PWM input (since they are also often used for RC-controlled stuff).

Back