Canyon Stoic 4 Suitability

NivagSwerdna

10 µW
My existing commuter transport is a 1980s MTB Diamond Back Ascent Ex with a BBS02 motor and it has worked really well for a while but is slowly suffering from age and torque to its rather diminutive 125mm OLN rear hub. Currently I have a chunky 17.5Ah 48V battery which fits easily in the old geometry.

My commute is 17.5 miles and I find that my battery is typically about 50% when I arrive at work; I think I could probably just make the round trip (back the 17.5 miles) home on a full-charge but I have access to power at work so I top up. So on that basis I use 50% of 840Whr one-way so around 420Whr @ 48V.

I'm looking at some alternative bicycles and strongly considering two... I really like the Canyon Stoic 4 (top of my price range) as it has nice hubs but the geometry is such that fitting a battery (and we've established I need 420Whr) looks tricky, alternatively I could take a safer bet and go with a Trek Marlin 7 (or 8) which has slightly more accommodating geometry but 135mm rear hub.

Has anyone considered electrifying the Stoic 4? What battery option did you go for?

Thanks in advance
Nivag

NivagSwerdna said:
My existing commuter transport is a 1980s MTB Diamond Back Ascent Ex with a BBS02 motor and it has worked really well for a while but is slowly suffering from age and torque to its rather diminutive 125mm OLN rear hub. Currently I have a chunky 17.5Ah 48V battery which fits easily in the old geometry.

My commute is 17.5 miles and I find that my battery is typically about 50% when I arrive at work; I think I could probably just make the round trip (back the 17.5 miles) home on a full-charge but I have access to power at work so I top up. So on that basis I use 50% of 840Whr one-way so around 420Whr @ 48V.

I'm looking at some alternative bicycles and strongly considering two... I really like the Canyon Stoic 4 (top of my price range) as it has nice hubs but the geometry is such that fitting a battery (and we've established I need 420Whr) looks tricky, alternatively I could take a safer bet and go with a Trek Marlin 7 (or 8) which has slightly more accommodating geometry but 135mm rear hub.

Has anyone considered electrifying the Stoic 4? What battery option did you go for?

Thanks in advance
Nivag

Can you clarify whether this is a new build, or are you moving your current system into the new bike frame? If it's a swap, do you have dimensions or a pic of the battery you're trying to fit?

Effectively this is a new build. I might re-use components but I'm happy to start again.

My existing battery is a AliExpress standard Hailong 48V Samsung Monster but I don't need that amount of range really

Looking at the Aliexpress website suggests it is Dimension: 370 * 110 * 90mm but in reality it is slightly less tall at the nose.

My approx measures make mine 360x120x90 so it is somewhere around that. I attach a diagram that looks about right.

I'm open to alternative battery suggestions.

PS
Just read the label.... says avoid drenching in Rain... :shock:

Attachments

• 2023-01-28_12-31-02.png
    2023-01-28_12-31-02.png
    499.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 2023-01-28_12-44-02.png
    2023-01-28_12-44-02.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 95
NivagSwerdna said:
Just read the label.... says avoid drenching in Rain... :shock:
Yes, most batteries would not like that. Do you expect otherwise?

OTOH, I guess maybe you just thought it was a funny statement? And were commenting on that?

99t4 said:
OTOH, I guess maybe you just thought it was a funny statement? And were commenting on that?
THIS! I thought it was amusing given some of the weather I've been through towards the end of last year, I am UK based.

99t4 said:
I'm more interested in the physical dimensions of a Stoic 4 than weather proofing at this point.

NivagSwerdna said:
99t4 said:
THIS! I thought it was amusing given some of the weather I've been through towards the end of last year, I am UK based.

99t4 said:
I'm more interested in the physical dimensions of a Stoic 4 than weather proofing at this point.

Which size frame? Looking at the pics on their website, it looks like that battery should fit, no problem.

I'm after a Large frame size

I'm not so convinced... Looking at the picture on the website and trying to extrapolate from the wheel sizes I think the inside triangle is something like this...

2023-01-30_19-34-47.png

i.e. it is 552mm (these are guesstimates) along the inside where the bottle mounts are, 429mm along the top and 269mm on the vertical. Assuming the battery was 120mm tall (which I think it is) then it would have to be 102mm up the bottle mount side and end at least 220mm down the tube, that only leaves 230mm of battery run... and my battery is 360mm long... so it would not fit?

Quite often the manufacturer's images seem to be of smaller size frames. Check this photo from Bikeradar's review (which said they tested size large):

https://images.immediate.co.uk/production/volatile/sites/21/2021/02/Canyon-Stoic-hardtail-01-7652714.jpg

The water bottle looks like a 500-550ml size so it's probably 74mm in diameter and 175-185mm long.

Re-doing my calculations from that photo...

2023-01-30_20-09-43.png

That gives a run of 268mm at a height of 120mm.

I found the specs for my very large battery...

2023-01-30_19-53-01.png

Too big... but it is a monster and as stated above I don't need that capacity. Still... even if it were 110mm rather than the 120mm I measured... that only allows a run of 293mm at height 110mm... so still too small.

Looks like I need a smaller battery or a different bike.

https://bike-test.com/en/review/canyon-stoic-4-2022/
This page shows some dimensions and the seat and head tube angles.

EDIT: Using the dimensions from the website and scaling the photo so the dimensions all match, it looks like the medium is shy of being big enough. Depending on how the large frame is scaled up (the ends of the green line is where the seat tube and head tube end up on the large frame) the underside of the top tube may end up being something like the red line.
batt fit.jpg
Maybe you could hold off on getting another battery until you get the bike. If you are planning on another Bafang mid drive, then you may want to research the chainring/chain stay clearance before committing to either bike.

Ok looks like we are agreed that it won't fit.

The modern geometry of MTBs now is very different from my 1980s frame with a very small triangle.

The angle on the Stoic is pretty acute so probably worse than average which is a shame as I really like the look of this model.

I should probably go cheaper anyway... Maybe Giant or Trek.

Back