Mac Motor to Kelly Controller Temp Sensor

firemagnets

10 µW
Hi All,

Just realised that my temp sensor readout on the controller says 16 degrees C while using a 1000 ohm resistor the actual temperature is around 28C what is the actual resistance needed to get an accurate readout on this controller?
Im using a MAC 8t motor and y controller is the Kelly KLS4812S.

Silly question, but are you sure your MAC has a temp sensor? The white wire is generally for speed.

firemagnets said:
Hi All,

Just realised that my temp sensor readout on the controller says 16 degrees C while using a 1000 ohm resistor the actual temperature is around 28C what is the actual resistance needed to get an accurate readout on this controller?
Im using a MAC 8t motor and y controller is the Kelly KLS4812S.

Online specs show the MAC motors have a standard 10k NTC thermistor. (25C = 10k ohms)
Kelly sells a motor temp sensor on their website:
https://kellycontroller.com/shop/kty84-130/
-40C to +180C= 300 Ω to 2700 Ω.

Looking at the specs, the MAC sensor isn't compatible (but is compatible with a Cycle Analyst, for instance), so you'd need to swap it out. I did the opposite swap with my Leaf motor, since it came with one like Kelly sells.

Could I attach a circuit or resistor like before (on the controller side) to make the motor sensor compatible. I'd rather not butcher the motor internals to change out the Mac thermistor.

firemagnets said:
Could I attach a circuit or resistor like before (on the controller side) to make the motor sensor compatible. I'd rather not butcher the motor internals to change out the Mac thermistor.

I doubt it. The manual is pretty specific:

"KLS controller can support KTY84-150 and KTY84-130 thermistors."

It might be doable, the resistance value only has to match in the 100-120c range, everything else is irrelevant.
You'll have to do some research on the required values, good luck.

Back