Phaserunner L10 PAS wires + bbshd. 12v to 5v pad?

Hey folks, the phaserunner is back but only the L10. I had been planning on buying a frankenrunner Mt for sometime and figured out how to wire it all up but when I went to buy it I found out it's been discontinued in place of the phaserunner L10, they won't have the Mt version till end of summer and I don't want to waste a spring and summer waiting for it.

My question is how would I go about wiring a phaserunner L10 to a bbshd with the hall sensors connected.

I think I need an L1019 25cm extension, but I'm not certain which of the 7 signal wires connect to the bbshd and in which order. I have an old hall plug from a broken bbshd controller to use to wire up to the phaserunner L10's signal wires.

If anyone can advise me with this topic, I would be grateful for the help.

Thank you.

I guess I'm just dumb for asking such an easy question. The answer is probably staring me right in my face and I'm too dumb to realize it. I thought what better place to ask for advice about a phaserunner than endless sphere. They've had great topic conversations in the past that have really helped the ebike technical diy community.

My apologies to those who I've offended with my substandard quality of question. I imagine I'll figure it out, I just wanted to feel a bit more confident before I spend $550 on a product that I'm not totally certain how to wire up. Grin tech has some great instructional videos but non of which are an L10 to bbshd mid-drive. I don't think I've seen anyone online install the L10 version with a mid-drive. But how hard could it be? Maybe I only waste $60 or $80 on buying the wrong parts, right? Not ideal, but what're you gonna do 🤷‍♀️

I don't have a link to them, but there are threads on using a PR for the BBSHD. If they have the names of which signals go where to/from PR and BBSHD, or the information you already have gives you these, you can match those names to the same ones on the L10 connector (which I'd expect (but havent' checked) would be available from Grin either regarding the L10 connector(s) in general, or be in the manual for the L10 version), so you can then use the extension cable method as proposed.

It's not as simple and straightforward as an exact wiring diagram, but should still be doable as long as the L10 connector signal names vs pins are available.

amberwolf said:
I don't have a link to them, but there are threads on using a PR for the BBSHD. If they have the names of which signals go where to/from PR and BBSHD, or the information you already have gives you these, you can match those names to the same ones on the L10 connector (which I'd expect (but havent' checked) would be available from Grin either regarding the L10 connector(s) in general, or be in the manual for the L10 version), so you can then use the extension cable method as proposed.

It's not as simple and straightforward as an exact wiring diagram, but should still be doable as long as the L10 connector signal names vs pins are available.

Amberwolf are you the only person on this platform? You seem to be the only person to respond to my posts. Either way, I appreciate your responses.

I was able to find a thread on here that was very helpful in showing how to wire the hall sensors and pas sensor wires.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91775&hilit=Phaserunner+hall+connections&start=100

Definitely makes me feel far more comfortable with the installation process. The only thing I have concern about is the pas voltage. I read in a thread that the previous PR versions required a step down voltage board from 10v to 5v for pas, though that was from CA to motor where as the PR v6 pas is controller to motor. Instinctually I would think being from controller to motor pas wiring wouldn't need a step down voltage pad/board but there's no way for me to be certain.

I downloaded the Phaserunner v6 manual and the v6 still requires pas to be wired up to the cycle analyst. I'm assuming (you know what happens when you assume) the PR v6 still requires a 12v to 5v pad/stepdown to be wired between pas and cycle analyst.

SplatMatic69er said:
I downloaded the Phaserunner v6 manual and the v6 still requires pas to be wired up to the cycle analyst. I'm assuming (you know what happens when you assume) the PR v6 still requires a 12v to 5v pad/stepdown to be wired between pas and cycle analyst.

If you get the PAS sensor from Grin, they already accept either the 10V standard for the CA, or accept a 5V-12V range. It was easier to get the PAS unit from Grin than to deal with the step down. Sadly, now that I'm switching to a torque sensing PAS, I'll need to deal with the step down unit anyway.

SplatMatic69er said:
Amberwolf are you the only person on this platform? You seem to be the only person to respond to my posts. Either way, I appreciate your responses.

Lots of people, but I'm one of the few (possibly the only one) that is on here most nights as I doze/wake (many sleep problems) and also checks the unanswered posts and new members
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=&sk=c&sd=d#memberlist
for stuff nobody has started helping with yet; if I can at least point a direction, I'll reply. :)

The only thing I have concern about is the pas voltage. I read in a thread that the previous PR versions required a step down voltage board from 10v to 5v for pas, though that was from CA to motor where as the PR v6 pas is controller to motor. Instinctually I would think being from controller to motor pas wiring wouldn't need a step down voltage pad/board but there's no way for me to be certain.

AFAIK the PR only has a throttle input, so the CA still has to translate all other inputs into that kind of signal for you.

I don't know what voltages the PR requires or supplies, but it's probably only 5v.

The CA can supply 10V for PAS, as long as your battery voltage is low enough--see the CA documentation for the specifics on that. The higher the battery voltage, the lower the current the CA can supply on 10V, and at some point it's too much and the main regulator FET in the CA will fail.

If your PAS only needs 5v, then you can rewire the PAS connector to use 5v instead of 10v (easiest done inside the CA). Or you can rewire the PAS connector to use the 5v from the PR if the PAS current requirement exceeds what the CA can output, or you can use a separate battery-voltage-to-5v DC-DC, but it's unlikely to need that much current.

Lots of people, but I'm one of the few (possibly the only one) that is on here most nights as I doze/wake (many sleep problems) and also checks the unanswered posts and new members
for stuff nobody has started helping with yet; if I can at least point a direction, I'll reply. :)

AFAIK the PR only has a throttle input, so the CA still has to translate all other inputs into that kind of signal for you.

I don't know what voltages the PR requires or supplies, but it's probably only 5v.

The CA can supply 10V for PAS, as long as your battery voltage is low enough--see the CA documentation for the specifics on that. The higher the battery voltage, the lower the current the CA can supply on 10V, and at some point it's too much and the main regulator FET in the CA will fail.

If your PAS only needs 5v, then you can rewire the PAS connector to use 5v instead of 10v (easiest done inside the CA). Or you can rewire the PAS connector to use the 5v from the PR if the PAS current requirement exceeds what the CA can output, or you can use a separate battery-voltage-to-5v DC-DC, but it's unlikely to need that much current.
So I ended up finding the answer after digging 'endlessly' deeper into this platform. I can't quite remember what thread it was but it did say a step down is required for bafang mid-drive's. I emailed grin to confirm that I'll have to use a 12v to 5v pad and they confirmed it. When placing my order with them I picked up one of those tiny pads they supply, very convenient!

As I'm typing this, I am working on wiring up the PR. I'm very excited and I'm sure to have more hurdles along the way. Btw thank you amberwolf for replying to my post!

If you get the PAS sensor from Grin, they already accept either the 10V standard for the CA, or accept a 5V-12V range. It was easier to get the PAS unit from Grin than to deal with the step down. Sadly, now that I'm switching to a torque sensing PAS, I'll need to deal with the step down unit anyway.
There was no red wire in the pas wire coming from CA pas cable, closest was yellow and I read a thread that said orange was the voltage so I wired yellow from CA to 12v end of pad. Perhaps because I soldered the leads to the bottom of the pad it isn't working

Attachments

• 20230218_181251.jpg
    20230218_181251.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Interesting, I might try the 5v from PR. Not sure why pas isn't getting detected

What supply voltage does the PAS sensor require?

Has it ever been connected to anything before this, and worked as expected?

Has it ever been connected to a voltage *other than* the voltage it requires? (a higher voltage could damage it, depending on it's design, and then it wouldn't work on anything).

How many wires does the PAS sensor have in total? Three, four, or more? What are each of the wires for (voltage supply, type of output, ground, etc) according to the system the PAS sensor came from / with, if this info is available (such as perhaps in some of the BBSxx controller-replacement threads)?

Some PAS sensors designed to work with a specific controller could require a pullup resistor (to the supply voltage) on their output, and have no signal output at all without this (they expect this to be built into the controller, so don't have one on the sensor like a standalone sensor would).

What supply voltage does the PAS sensor require?

Has it ever been connected to anything before this, and worked as expected?

Has it ever been connected to a voltage *other than* the voltage it requires? (a higher voltage could damage it, depending on it's design, and then it wouldn't work on anything).

How many wires does the PAS sensor have in total? Three, four, or more? What are each of the wires for (voltage supply, type of output, ground, etc) according to the system the PAS sensor came from / with, if this info is available (such as perhaps in some of the BBSxx controller-replacement threads)?

Some PAS sensors designed to work with a specific controller could require a pullup resistor (to the supply voltage) on their output, and have no signal output at all without this (they expect this to be built into the controller, so don't have one on the sensor like a standalone sensor would).
I figured it out! Turns out you need to turn pas on in the cycle analyst setup program. Nowhere have I read from anyone that you must turn it on. I figured a step like that would be listed in a thread somewhere, but it's not!

For the record; bafang mid-drive's require 5v. Cycle analyst provides 10v from it's pas plug. So I took 5v from the cycle analyst aux plug and wired it to the pas sensor.

Bafang bbs pas sensor is 4 wires. It had been connected to original controller and worked well and that's how I know it was operational.

I can't believe this step has been omitted from the whole internet and the forums within it. Maybe the step was just soo obvious that no one felt the need to include it in any of the threads.

Nowhere have I read from anyone that you must turn it on. I figured a step like that would be listed in a thread somewhere, but it's not!

I can't believe this step has been omitted from the whole internet and the forums within it. Maybe the step was just soo obvious that no one felt the need to include it in any of the threads.
Might be because the CA manual pretty much goes through the PAS setup step by step. The unofficial ES user guide does as well, but in much more detail. You can do a lot of fine tuning with the settings as well.

Last edited:
Might be because the CA manual pretty much goes through the PAS setup step by step. The unofficial ES user guide does as well, but in much more detail. You can do a lot of fine tuning with the settings as well.
Probably. Can you share the link to the thread? Might save someone some trouble if they come across this thread.

Probably. Can you share the link to the thread? Might save someone some trouble if they come across this thread.

Back