Hall effect sensor parts, SS41 equivalent

10 kW
Thought this could be important to some.

After much searching I did find some cross referencing site that indeed suggests the UGL3132UA is a functional equivalent of the SS41.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/allegromicrosystems/3132.pdf

UGL3132UA
FEATURES
Extremely Sensitive
Flat Response to 23 kHz
Low-Noise Output
4.5 V to 6 V Operation
Magnetically Optimized Package

ELECTRICAL CHARACTERISTICS at TA = +25°C, VCC = 5 V
Limits
Characteristic Symbol Test Conditions Min. Typ. Max. Units
Operating Voltage VCC 4.5 — 6.0 V
Supply Current ICC — 9.0 13 mA
Quiescent Output Voltage VOUT B = 0 G 2.25 2.50 2.75 V
Sensitivity ΔVOUT B = 0 G to ±900 G 0.75 1.30 1.75 mV/G
Bandwidth (-3 dB) BW — 23 — kHz
Broadband Output Noise Vout BW = 10 Hz to 10 kHz — 90 — μV
Output Resistance ROUT — 50 220 Ω\

All output-voltage measurements are made with a voltmeter having an input impedance of at least 10 kΩ.
Magnetic flux density is measured at most sensitive area of device located 0.016" (0.41 mm) below the branded face of the ‘U’
package; 0.020" (0.51 mm) below the branded face of the ‘UA’ package; and 0.030" (0.76 mm) below the branded face of the ‘LT’
package.

http://www.bbautomacao.com/pdfs/Hall-Cross-Reference.pdf

Seems a few of us here in Oz are keen to find a replacement for this SS41 part that can be bought at retail stores. Even though Jaycar had none in stock come Monday I will have 12 of them.

If anyone can come up with any data that suggests more or otherwise please discuss.

the Allegro A3132/A3133 have been discontinued.

the biggest limitation to these was that they were only good to 6V supply. many controllers supply 12V to the halls especially the older analog variety.

the modern equivalent would be the Allegro A1202/A1203 family. they can work with up to a 24V supply. as a bonus they are also reverse voltage protected.

i have one motor - a Crystalyte 409/4011 where i used the A1202 as a replacement. the pinout is identical to the SS40/SS41. that motor works fine. but just because it works in one motor does not guarantee that it will work in all motors.

rick

why not just order the honeywell part? i bot 12 SS41 from mouser for $10. maybe ben moore still has a few of the 6 left i sent him and you can buy some from him there in au.

dnmun said:
why not just order the honeywell part? i bot 12 SS41 from mouser for $10. maybe ben moore still has a few of the 6 left i sent him and you can buy some from him there in au.

cause he is in Australia and would like to find something that may be available locally. for some reason the SS40/SS41 are tough to find there.

rick

Yes the allegro seem to be in supply here even though they maybe not manufactured anymore.

My controller is lucky to output 4.8v anyway so I guess its going to be fine.

Just hope the controller is still working the sensor reciever. Should I observe anything that would indicate the controller is blowing this part. Id hate to fix the sensors only to have the controller blow them out again.

if the supply voltage is under 6V the only other things that could affect them are heat and too large a drain on the output.

hall switches are generally open collector outputs and can usually handle 20 or 30mA. inside the controller there is a resistor that is used to control this current. but i can't think f any easy way to measure this.

i guess the only way to find out is to try them.

rick

Hmm, I ended up ordering ss41s from overseas. When I checked Jaycar they only had Hall sensors rather than switches:-

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZD1902&keywords=hall&form=KEYWORD

They are same form factor/package but obviously vey different electrically. Do Jaycar have Hall switches now too ?

never mind how expensive it is. it s also a long obsolete part. they must have bought a truck load of them somewhere and have been trying for years to flog them. no wonder at those prices.

rick

I installed these suckers and I don’t think they are going to work. I’m sure I can make them work with some gates or something.

I think they don’t switch low enough.

I cant ascertain whether my controller worx until I get this hall thing under control.

Who is mouser BTW and does he export to Australia, how long will this take and how much for 12 hall effects. I dont have a credit card. So I guess that leaves me up the creek. How about the expensive money order route. It seems like what ever way I look at its gonna be a real bint. Why cant aussies stock the SS41. I honestly feel like a round peg squished in a square hole. :roll:

Looking at an SN54S11 tripple positive and logic gate. Any suggestions?

mouser is mouser.com in dallas. i had bot 12 SS41 from them, used 5, shared out 7. ben moore in sidney got 6. that's why i recommended you contact him to see if he had any left.

you are talking about the hall sensors in the motor, right?

you can watch them switch with a voltmeter on the 5 pin socket coming out of the controller, while turning the wheel slightly with the controller turned on. it will toggle on and off, and always have either 2 on and one off or two off and one on.

on means the voltage is up above 4.4 or so and off is 0 V. the red wire in the plug is 5V or 4.7V or so, and the black wire is the ground.

don't follow anything about the triple output hall sensors.

I got these UGL3132UA sensors working however its not so on off. The go off at about .9v and are slightly variable to 3.7v which isnt going to be to healthy.

I thought of using them to turn on triggers to give them a fast switch knee to the logic.

Ahh, Ill do some phoning about and see what I can find.

Back to the drawing board.

Yes the hall sensors in the motor.

What I mean is that the job i did worked and I tested it with a multimeter only so far.

The part ive bought is wrong though and it probably wont with my contollers logic but should work with some engineering.

Design a shmitt trigger or get one in an IC that can take at least 20ma and be triggerd to switch off at around 1.5v

or lower. Im lost really.

As a first I will look at getting one of those anz debit cards and try mouser as advised. Ive nevr needed a debit card till now.

Thanx.

there may be other sources, i just could not believe that they wanted $5.50 each for those obsolete allegro parts. you can get those on ebay too, usually 5 for $6 as i recall. i think the ebay specials are 1321s

but first you need to think through your design it sounds like, shipping from dallas is expensive too especially for a few hall sensors. i taped the 6 i sent ben moore onto a piece of thick paper and mailed it to him. 98 cents postage airmail to australia. that is cheaper than the gas if i had to drive over to norvac in beaverton to buy some.

so to optimize, you could figure out what you needed for parts, then rather than pay custom's fees and in the case of guys in europe, the VAT, you could put your thumb out (like a hitchhiker) on the items wanted pages asking if someone would buy the hall sensors for you when they order something from mouser then just mail them to you after you paypal them the cash.

we should have shared parts/junkyard squawk box platform to share parts like the hall sensors and other common stuff. shoulda done that for the ever newer 24S BMS. but then some people would end up with piles of parts they could not move.

Mouser is just another electronics distributor. unlike Jaycar and RS(whom we call Radio Shack) who distribute through retail stores - mouser, digikey, future, newark, active components etc. are comercial distributors who sell from warehouses to folks like Jaycar. using the incredibly complex proceedure of typing "mouser australia" into the google search i got the following link.

http://au.mouser.com/contact-australia/

and using the part search box on that page i got the following:

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Honeywell/SS41/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtdU8v/CHkq39AvnkiVL6ci

they have 940 of them in stock for the price of $1.40AUD each.

so the supply problem does not really exist in austalia. it is more a knowledge thing.

i also did a yellow pages search for Australia under the classification "Electronic Parts--W'salers & Mfrs" and found most of the big distributors have representation there with the exception of digikey. you could also check for Farnell/Newark and Active Components to look for someone who may be closer to you.

rick

i think digikey wanted about $4 each for the hall sensors anyway. they carry the allegro, not honeywell as i recall.

great find rick, you guys down under should keep that link.

dnmun said:
i think digikey wanted about $4 each for the hall sensors anyway. they carry the allegro, not honeywell as i recall.

great find rick, you guys down under should keep that link.
rkosiorek said:
Mouser is just another electronics distributor. unlike Jaycar and RS(whom we call Radio Shack) who distribute through retail stores - mouser, digikey, future, newark, active components etc. are comercial distributors who sell from warehouses to folks like Jaycar. using the incredibly complex proceedure of typing "mouser australia" into the google search i got the following link.

http://au.mouser.com/contact-australia/

and using the part search box on that page i got the following:

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Honeywell/SS41/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtdU8v/CHkq39AvnkiVL6ci

they have 940 of them in stock for the price of $1.40AUD each.

so the supply problem does not really exist in austalia. it is more a knowledge thing.

i also did a yellow pages search for Australia under the classification "Electronic Parts--W'salers & Mfrs" and found most of the big distributors have representation there with the exception of digikey. you could also check for Farnell/Newark and Active Components to look for someone who may be closer to you.

rick

LOL my au search term ss41 hall sensor returned jack. At first I thought mouser was an ES member, head spins, then I thought mouser was a US CA store only only added to my original ignorance. My learning has been limited to the gear I could get and the price at which I pay for it.

This will be much easier than I thought it would be.

Thanks heaps.

other than the occasinal "AAA" battery for my walkman who in their right mind would buy anything else from shops like Jaycar or RS? everything is so overpriced. as well as being antiquated old stock.

rick

Well I appled form my ANZ debit card and have to wait 5-7 days. I started my mouse account and cant wait to start purchasing. Then I'm guessing another 3 days to get the parts and a day to repair. Refurbish the phase wires clean up some stuff. Dum dee dum.

I'll guess I'll use the parts I bought to teach ny children how to build a magnetic sensor alarm system.

If Jaycar had my parts Id be riding now. I rebatteried the dirt Ebike BMX and its in good working order so I'm not stuck relying on taxis to buy freaking milk.

Yeah Jaycar they are expensive compared to mouser but they are cheaper than the other retail outlets. My Jaycarstore folks are pretty good to me as I dont usually find many I see eye to eye.

Arrrhhhg.

The delivery charge is $39 via fedex from mouse AU.

Anyone in OZ want to buy some ss41 hall sensors?

I'll say buy 24 and sell them at delivery cost. This will make them expensive and delivery day will be set back some.

I can sell them at $1.80 a part if I get at least 60 ordered parts. No promises yet but we can arrange something. Free delivery if I send 200 bucks.

You might be able to get them with cheaper shipping if you buy equivelents directly off Allegro Micro's page.
or talk them into sampling equivilent units to you for free?

i sent him a pm asking him if he wanted me to buy some from mouser and mail him, anybody else need SS41s? the allegro hall sensors are sold on ebay too, usually 5 for $6 as i recall. they may be chinese knockoffs too.

dnmun said:
i sent him a pm asking him if he wanted me to buy some from mouser and mail him, anybody else need SS41s? the allegro hall sensors are sold on ebay too, usually 5 for $6 as i recall. they may be chinese knockoffs too.

Ok end of the weekend I replied to dnmuns PM and enqiured about getting 12 sent.. Anyone else wants in, get onboard. How long does it take to send stuff by post from where he's from?

i ordered some from mouser, they should arrive thursday or friday, and i will mail them to you that day. should take a week to reach you, so count on wednesday or thursday the week after, about the 11th. if everybody in australia who wants some of these SS41 contacts you then you can mail it to them local mail, saves a lot on costs to use an envelope rather than a box through fedex. especially from dallas to au.

everybody down under should contact me or 317537 by next thursday. how much should i charge? $1 each? shipping included. 12 for $10?

Back