Modifying Yiyun YK-43 for more amperage? :D HELP PLEASE! (:

oscaryu1

1 mW
Ohai guys, new member here, I'm only 15, so please be patient with me :D

I'm trying to mod up this 60V Yiyun controller for more amperage - it can power a 24V 900W motor at 48V perfectly, however, it now has to power THREE 36V motors rated at 750W apiece :shock: :oops:

SANY0118-1.jpg

Now, I haven't much previous electronic experience. At ALL. I've been told to handle the amount of current needed from them three motors, I should be looking into either a larger "output" FET or stacking them to increase the amount of current flow... or something around those lines :p

So down to business, it seems that I have a relatively basic controller (it does look a bit messy on the back though), any tips on modifying it for maximum punch?

I'm fairly confident with a soldering iron, so no problem there... could someone kindly explain how to locate the output FET's or overall upgrades I can do to it? :) I'll be running ~54-60V on SLA's btw.

Random pics:

SANY0122-1.jpg

SANY0126-1.jpg

SANY0123-1.jpg

SANY0125-1.jpg

SANY0124-1.jpg

Thanks again guys! :)

Can't help you with the mods unfortunately, it's far from my area of expertise...i don't think i actually have an area i am expert at come to think of it hahaa...anwayz, being 15 years old i am guessing fiances aren't overflowing? If you could afford ~150 bucks though you could pick up a nice 72v 200amp capable Kelly controller that will outperform the cheapo job you have now no matter what mods you make to it.

Best of luck anywayz, i'm sure someone will come along to help you with the mods :)

KiM

EDIT: p.s welcome to the forum :)

Three controllers running off of one small set of batteries due to frame limitations just wouldn't be practical, nor would it be very cost efficient.

I know for a fact people with 48V models of this (called the YK-42) have modified these for 2000-3000W motors and ran over 130V+ on them (Although they said something about arcing on the tracing... or something like that :)

Again, cost is a factor but not a very big one - I can almost find things cheap, and my budget is pretty big (but I refuse to buy a prefabricated controller, what's the learning experience and fun in that?!).

I also plan on doing a very basic regenerative braking setup using the power from the motor itself to turn on a solenoid and then pass the power through a diode back to the batteries... activated through a brake lever which coincidentally has a switch integrated in it for certain scooters to prevent the throttle and brake being depressed simultaneously.

What batteries do you have?

Three controllers would be perfect! Space wise it's not so bad with small brushed controllers, and its very cost efficient and just all around practical. You say you want to run these guys at 750 watts each at 48 volts. That adds up to 18ish amps, and should be doable at $60 for a three pack of controllers.. I'm guessing what you really want is closer to double those amps though.. Probably not a good idea unless you have some great batteries. BTW if you really want to run them at 750 watts in, I've run $18 CT-611B9's on 48v no probs and they peak right at a buck an amp.

I guess a diy single box works too, just seems like the harder way to go.

I thought that controller had some balls to it. I remember in my brushed days that controller was able to put out 80-100A easy. Thats why they have the copper bus bars on the bottom.

Edit...
Just as I thought that controller has major balls to it. I looked back to my old thread here. I had the same controller. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4025&hilit=60v+build+icecube57%5C&start=45#p68629 I remember running a brushed BD36 on this controller at 60v. That controller can put out every bit of 90+A @ 5000w. I did a stall test with that controller and it peaked at 109A and 5800w at 60v. The controller has no true current limiting circuitry. So it will pull and put out whatever the hell the motor wants. It should have 100v NEC fets. They were really made for "real" scooters. It will destroy those motor that you are trying to run. I had alot of problems with brush arching and melting brush holders

As I read more it peaks very very high but it settles down to 50-60A with the motor I had.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4025&hilit=60v+build+icecube57%5C&start=45#p68629

How are you going to run the chain? I've wondered what the best way to run the chain is on a triple motor setup.. Post info if you mod that controller, I am interested in seeing!

Really? I have a 900W motor (Currie Technology), 900W at 24V and I was running it at 48V!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txyDd3VvI9M

The scooter is dead now, the handlebars cracked twice (welded it back), went through one set of 7/8aH batteries like nothing (upgraded to 10aH), three or so throttles, and numerous other fixes.

Did I also mention I trundled in about a foot of water at one point? :D

Motor is still well alive, doesn't feel like it has lost any power, and I've never had it apart. Running double the voltage, and going offroading and all... (could climb hills from a dead stop a dirt bike couldn't. Electric torque <3)

I've run small 24v brushed motors on 48v (and more) and never had one blow either.. All at relatively low amps, that may be why. Below is what I was thinking for the chain run to get decent contact.

Attachments

• triplemotors.jpg
    triplemotors.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,827
Back