Does anyone have experience of controller tester units?

I have seen cheap Chinese hall effect controller testers on ebay.. selling at only £14.79(around U.S.$23.00)....wonder if anyone has experience of them?..They look like the could take the headache out of matching controllers to motors.controller tester unit.jpg

I consider them a mandatory tool for diagnosing problems, because they test motors, halls, throttles, and controllers. I bought 2 just in case one breaks. I'd never use one for figuring out a good phase/hall combo, because that's just too easy, though there's plenty of advise on the forum making it difficult.

Lyen here on the forum sells them, but not with the labels in english.

Hello,

users who tried this tester, does it really can help to find right combination of phases/hall sensors? I probably have some golden motor hub motor and bmsbattery controller. I need to be sure about connection, because I don't want to make trouble to my friend.

I have one of those, there are some way of finding out that but it seems kinda difficult :) can show the manual if you want

Best spent 20 bucks on e bike shit, EVER.

I still do not not have one of these possibly due to my own ignorance. Time for me to ask. What can they do that a few good DMM's can not?

they are quick and easy to use for those unfamiliar with using a DMM, i use a DMM all the time for battery testing and checking for broken wires etc but testing a motor phase and hall sensors, as simple as i'm sure it is to do.. i'm kinda clueless and unsure of what i'm doing, while this gizmo is nearly idiot proof !.. just my speed !

Hi,

Tester question for those with some experience...

Just hooked up my tester to a leafbike 40A controller (got the full conversion kit with the 1500 watt hub) and the led's do light in a rotary pattern but two at a time. The "manual" (piece of paper) says that's bad for the controller. Any thoughts or experience?

(I connected the controller Hall connector and phase wires to the tester, and the throttle to the controller - that's it.)

I plan to contribute to the forum once I get the motor to spin!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

MLC

As long as the two lights are in perfect sync with each other and form three distinct pairs as they rotate, then what you describe is perfectly normal.

A brief descriptive doc on using the tester can be found here.

Worth it to outfit the tester with connectors that match your build -- a good rainy Saturday project that will let you safely run the suite of tests in just a few minutes ('gator clips are an invitation for a short...).

Thanks DanielRLee and Tek! (Tek: Yes; I definitely plan to adapt the tester to my final config.)

I agree that this is a useful tool. Though simple, it can quickly direct the trouble shooter in the right direction.

I'll share what I observed while testing a Leafbike 1500W stock kit with this tester.
Note1: When the system is connected as delivered all colors match the wheel runs forward.
Note2: Tek's great document explains some of the following observations. What I'm sharing here is 'what' you can expect when you slap this tester on a LeafBike system, out of the box (not 'why').

- Motor Phase Test:
Connected tester to motor phase wires; matched the colors. Turn wheel and all lights blink. Disconnect blue wire and light labeled 'blue' stops blinking (and so on). Good. Blinking too fast to discern order/direction. Maybe because this motor has 23 poles?

(Suggestion: A "tester-less" phase tester: Spin wheel with phase wires open; no cogging. Short any phase to any phase and spin wheel slowly; heavy cogging. So, if you have heavy cogging with the phase wires open, you probably have a phase short. If you short any two phases and don't get heavy cogging, you probably have an open in one or both of those phases. Opens can be isolated by playing with combo's.)

- Motor Hall Sensors:
Hall connectors and colors match out of box. Tester issues a 120 degree pattern (see tester instructions), but it's reversed.

- Throttle Test - Note that this feature is called "Steer" on my tester. Works just as advertised on this throttle.

- Controller Phase Test:
Hall connectors and colors match out of box.
The tester's "5 Volt" LED blinks (as stated in the instructions). (Looked like a problem to me...)
LED's light in adjacent pairs during test. It's possible that one LED across from the lit pair lights dimly, also.
Instructions say if two phase test LED's light at the same time, the controller is bad. Not the case!
Sequence is counter-clock- wise.
After twisting throttle, the LED sequence starts and makes about 1 rotation and then stops by itself (logical; probably the controller giving up; just sayin).
Sequence rate is fixed (about 2 Hz) but as throttle is twisted more, LED' pairs get brighter.
Q: Could adjacent pairs mean 120 degrees and opposing pairs mean 60 degrees?

That's about it. Hope this helps other newbies (with the Leafbike system).

MLC

Back