"Self-Learning" wire- please teach me

ddk

100 kW
Please
...did the search thing.
and was underwhelmed

http://ebike-bmsbattery.com/ details their 'micro' controllers having a "self-learning" wire.
What, exactly, does this "self-learning wire" do and how does one do it too it?

thanks

the idea is:
if you dont know how the hall and phase wires match up with the motor you use the self learn to make it simpler to find correct combination,
you connect self learn wire ( assume you know from diagram how to do that) then turn on power ( battery), at this stage you have the halls and phase wires connected together ( whichever way you like), give a little bit of throttle, if it runs smooth from stopped you've got correct combo, if it doesn't run smooth,
you change two of the phase wires, try a little throttle again, you should get correct combination by just swapping the phase wires till it runs correctly in correct direction ( no need to change the hall wires hence it reduces the possible number of combinations), once you have it running smooth from any stop position, you disconnect the self learn wire, and then turn off controller. It will remember the setting each time you turn on controller, no need to use self learn any more.
So instead of having 36 possible combinations to choose from you only have a few combinations to choose from by changing phase wire combinations.

Thanks!
I was hoping for something a it more complicated than that

oh well

I prefer sensorless operation anyway :D

On the self-learn controllers I have . You plug color to color and then tuoch the two wires togeather till it finds the correct combination. NO switching of Phase wires at all. I don't rember changing ant Hall wires either. SELF-Taught means it does it for you.

Dan

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

LOL I M COMFUZED AGAIN

thats good news controllers have developed more than the self learn ones I have had, it might be almost 2 years since I've used them

DAND214 said:
On the self-learn controllers I have . You plug color to color and then tuoch the two wires togeather till it finds the correct combination. NO switching of Phase wires at all. I don't rember changing ant Hall wires either. SELF-Taught means it does it for you.

Dan

Thanks for the information

it's what I assumed but I HATES to assume anything

I wonder when the China suppliers will start providing translated specs/information on their offered products
(in a 'better' world)

This is something I was struggling with this weekend. I bought one of those shady e-bike controllers on ebay and wired it up. It runs... kinda... throttle response is almost like an on off switch. Start up is a really strong kick. It's advertised as sensorless but has hall sensor wiring, so I tried it both with sensorless and sensored. Both are equally rough. I'm thinking (and hoping) that the really horrible throttle response means some part of the controller software setup is not right. It definitely runs, but it's really punchy and has no low speed throttle response.

So it also has a "self-learning" jumper wire. I tried connecting it and then powering the system up. It acts strangely and I don't know what to make of it. The motor will run at a medium speed in one direction. If I give the throttle a twist, it will then stop and then run in the opposite direction. It will continue to run until I twist the throttle, whereupon it will stop and reverse again. Sometimes it goes really fast, sometimes it goes slowly, and sometimes it rattles and chugs (probably something out of phase). Is this some kind of menu system? After messing with this, my motor is now running backwards. So I obviously have changed something. Any idea what's going on with this?

Yeah..i really cannot understand on how the function of self-learning wire actually work. I just purchased controller from alibaba website. The idea is to swap my 48v 500w old controller with the new 60v 2000w controller. Until the new controller arrived yesterday, i really cannot differentiate the wires given as the number/function/colors are totally different than my previous controller.

Its quite simple. Connect any fat phase wire to any other. Often with self learn the wires will all be the same color anyway. Same with the halls wires, with one exception. On the 5 halls wires, red to red, and black to black. the other three can connect to any color. If you have colors, just match em all up.

Contact the vendor, or look at the page you bought from, to get info on which wire on the controller does what.

Connect the self learn wire, with the wheel off the ground, and it should start to spin forward. ( with the controller on, connected to battery) When it does, test with the throttle. If it runs no stutter, you are done, now disconnect the self learn jumper wire.

whoa, old thread comes alive (like frampton) ... ( a very old reference from a very old person)

Things change, as they're wont to do and I've yet to procure an unmarked-for-wiring controller for quite a few years now.
So I've yet to not "get it right" (on wiring a motor to controller) the first time and I've yet to use that self-learn mode thingy.

lot a 'yets' there.

ddk said:
whoa, old thread comes alive (like frampton) ... ( a very old reference from a very old person)

"Do you ... you - feel like I do?"

At the time that was pure magic.

Now back to your regularly scheduled ebike thread.

Not to hijack the thread, but Frampton was "always polite and washed"..... :lol:
View attachment 1

Anyway, if jumping the self learning wire doesn't help there is always this......
determining wiring diagram.JPG

:D

Hi Forum,

I have updated my Controller and I am not getting my Motor running in sensorless learn mode.

https://youtu.be/1zOt-g9nqhQ

I see on my power supply that the current limiter kick in shortly.

can that be reason why self learning not works.

I am speechless.

With my old controller it ran great.

https://youtu.be/3ZuCV07gB_s

Greetings Bob

0025cea2816473d6cc168a624cf64cc3.jpg

Gesendet von meinem CPH1911 mit Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuiNmyTZmXQ

this video explains perfectly how the self learning fucntion should be applied. its quite simple (just make sure your wheel is off the ground)

note: this should be done on any ebike if the function is present.

not doing it is like running your petrol car with bad ignition timing, youll get less power, economy and your engine will be all shakey and unbalanced.

monette999 said:
Hi Forum,

I have updated my Controller and I am not getting my Motor running in sensorless learn mode.

https://youtu.be/1zOt-g9nqhQ

I see on my power supply that the current limiter kick in shortly.

can that be reason why self learning not works.

I am speechless.

With my old controller it ran great.

https://youtu.be/3ZuCV07gB_s

Greetings Bob

0025cea2816473d6cc168a624cf64cc3.jpg

Gesendet von meinem CPH1911 mit Tapatalk

Phase wires on an alternator? Show us the wiring.

:D :bolt:

The wiring and the rest of the build as well. My interest is piqued here Bob. :thumb:

Proper steps:
With vehicle off the ground,
Connect all wires by color.
Connect self learning wires
Turn controller on
Should spin on its own.
If direction is correct, disconnect self learning wires. If direction is wrong, twist throttle little and release. It should reverse direction on its own. Now it should be spinning correct direction on its own. Disconnect self learning wires.
Now test with throttle. It should spin smoothly in your correct direction. Turn off controller.
Turn on and final test with throttle.
That's what worked with my generic ebay Chinese controller

the idea is:
if you dont know how the hall and phase wires match up with the motor you use the self learn to make it simpler to find correct combination,
you connect self learn wire ( assume you know from diagram how to do that) then turn on power ( battery), at this stage you have the halls and phase wires connected together ( whichever way you like), give a little bit of throttle, if it runs smooth from stopped you've got correct combo, if it doesn't run smooth,
you change two of the phase wires, try a little throttle again, you should get correct combination by just swapping the phase wires till it runs correctly in correct direction ( no need to change the hall wires hence it reduces the possible number of combinations), once you have it running smooth from any stop position, you disconnect the self learn wire, and then turn off controller. It will remember the setting each time you turn on controller, no need to use self learn any more.
So instead of having 36 possible combinations to choose from you only have a few combinations to choose from by changing phase wire combinations.
hope you don't mind me jumping in here I have the learning wires but no throttle I use only PAS on my bike, so when I plug the learning wires in my wheel does not spin but the motor makes a noise, when I unplug it and plug in again my rear wheel spins .am i doing something wrong or are my phase wires wrong any help please oh I also get error 7 display s830.

Back