Long Term testing of an ATS Speed Drive

MattyCiii

100 kW
OK,
There has been some talk lately about these drives. http://www.utahtrikes.com/ARTICLE-33.html. It looks like something I'd use, because though my new bike (http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37207) will be electric assist, I want to pedal most of the time.

Anyone have experience/advice? What about installation - I'm not going to send my frame to Utah for an install. Is it hard to install? The tool they use to bevel the bottom bracket looks like the same tool used for milling a head tube...

Dimitri (forum member Accountant) sells one with 1.6 ratio for a very good price, it is the one that they use on the Greyborg. Not the real Schlumpf, yet very good quality for a fraction of the price.

The tool chamfers the inside of the bb shell so that the serrated rings on the drive grip and do not spin. There are also different grip rings for different frame materials. There is a version that uses a torque arm so you don't need to get the chamfer done. Mavic made a system that uses the same type of tool but the Schlumpf tool is much easier to find. Depending on what area of the country you are in you may find one closer. I know of one in Austin, TX and Free Soil,Michigan for example. A facing tool is not going to do what you need.

That said they are great and I have used speed drives, high speed drives and mtn. drives on various bikes since 2000 and still have one of each today although only using the speed drive at the moment.

Thanks both of you.

If the price is right/Accountant can supply them, I'll get three drives, one for each of my two pedal-only bikes, and one for the e-bike. That would justify me buying the tool, as long as the tool is not super expensive. But I'm frequently in Boston and Providence RI, and occasionally in NYC - between these three cities I'd be surprised if I can't find some shop with the tool. That said, frankly I'd rather spend $100 on the tool than call 10 bike shops looking for someone who knows what one is.

I was curious about the other drive enough to do some google searching and came up with this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=fsa+metropolis&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2239708401181805040&sa=X&ei=0YRNT870G8XSmAXOgs3VDw&ved=0CEUQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

Looks like it uses a stop against the chainstay so no need for any tooling. Same ratio as a speed drive which I have on a bike that will pedal well up to about 25 mph with a 27/11 and 29" wheels, for any more than that I would use my high speed drive.

Also this one: http://www.recumbentjournal.com/news/industry/item/153-trident-trikes-reveals-trident-drive-other-developments.html

Which as several different ratio options but is more costly, yet not as much as one of Florians. However as I said I have been using Schlumpf's for 12 years now with no failures or issues as they are literally built like a swiss watch.

it does like like Schlumpf. I wonder how good it is comparing to Schlumpf.

Im using Schlumpf it is great but f****** expensive which is a pity!

MattyCiii said:
Anyone have experience/advice? What about installation - I'm not going to send my frame to Utah for an install. Is it hard to install? The tool they use to bevel the bottom bracket looks like the same tool used for milling a head tube...

I dont have this milling tool but i was thinking to use step drill bit instead.. Has anyone tried to use this alternative?

Ilia Brouk might be good to ask...

Drunkskunk said:
If only they made these for 100mm bottom bracket Snow bikes
Of what I know, only Schlumpf does. You can place special orders with them in Switzerland.

mabman said:
MadRhino said:
http://www.ats-speeddrive.com/tpl/all_sd_item.html

The one that Dimitri has is the ATS speed drive

I bet that doesn't make Florian real happy as it is a pretty blatant ripoff of his design.

It is a licensed design from Schlumpf. I have one and it has the patent and license information printed on it. I have heard that Schlumpf knows his product is too expensive and this is something he did to help that. It is not available in all the configurations of the original product, and it is not made exactly the same way. In fact that is one reason Schlumpf is so expensive, they make their own gears and other parts, so it is not a very cost effective manufacturing process.

wojtek said:
MattyCiii said:

I dont have this milling tool but i was thinking to use step drill bit instead.. Has anyone tried to use this alternative?

Ilia Brouk might be good to ask...

The problem is that the degree of the chamfer is specific to the ring on the drive and if you don't get that right it probably will cause more harm than good to both the frame and the drive itself. You aren't that far from Florian and I believe he will rent one out, but I could be wrong. He is a very nice and accommodating person.

Alan B said:
mabman said:
MadRhino said:
http://www.ats-speeddrive.com/tpl/all_sd_item.html

The one that Dimitri has is the ATS speed drive

I bet that doesn't make Florian real happy as it is a pretty blatant ripoff of his design.

It is a licensed design from Schlumpf. I have one and it has the patent and license information printed on it. I have heard that Schlumpf knows his product is too expensive and this is something he did to help that. It is not available in all the configurations of the original product, and it is not made exactly the same way. In fact that is one reason Schlumpf is so expensive, they make their own gears and other parts, so it is not a very cost effective manufacturing process.

Thanks for clearing that up as I hadn't heard about that before.

I was considering one of these on my new build so I was looking today and I see the price is around 600$ US. That's
pretty crazy for me.. 300 would be doable , but double that ouch. Thanks for the other links checking them out now.

Mine arrived from Accountant. Nice quality product by all appearances, and extremely well packaged for shipping.

The challenge now is finding a shop around here that can do the installation. I know I can probably have a machine shop chamfer the bottom bracket, but I'd rather an experienced bicycle mechanic do it with the right tools for the job.

Shipping & handling & export fees to USA was $120. I bought 3 drives, so if it's weight/size influenced, one might be less.

Before buying one, make a plan for installation. I'm tempted to just beast it with a Dremmel, but my calm voice talks me down with "Patience Grasshopper". I want the installation done right from day one, I'm willing to pay to get an experienced mechanic with the right tools.

Today I got the full list of dealers from http://www.haberstock-mobility.com/en/home.html, the present supplier of the drive. I'm lucky theres a dealer within 10 miles of home - but my call was met with "Wha?" from the person who took the call. "Why don't you e-mail us I'll ask the boss." Great, more waiting, and maybe the answer will be "sorry pal, we don't do that anymore."

Just look before you leap.

Once I get mine installed, I'll post some pix & write a review.

I emailed then and they got back to me and suprise they make one with 100mm bb now just waitin on a price, :lol: sweetness

Back