Heinzmann disassembly

kbarrett

10 kW
I am in the middle of disassembling my newly bought hub, with the intention of replacing the wimpy stock power wires with something a bit bigger.

I have gotten stuck.

My progress to date:
DSCN0595.JPG
DSCN0596.JPG
DSCN0597.JPG
DSCN0598.JPG

I am at this point:
DSCN0599.JPG

I have removed the four screws, but it ain't budging. Getting it apart at this point isn't obvious to me. If someone has done this before, a clue would be useful.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3853&p=57704&hilit=heinzmann#p57704

there's some pic's of an openned Heinzmann if you look down a few post in the above thread.

just remove the 4 screws
then somehow clamp the lower part and screw on a metal bar or something to the top axle and pull hard.
or if you don't mind denting the aluminum, use a chisel to open a little of it and then stick in a screw driver to hold it.
keep doing that with more screw drivers until the whole top comes off.

the top & bottom neodymium's are holding that thing on really tight. Watch your fingers!!!

OK then, I am now fighting big assed magnets. Thanx for the clue.

OK ... got that apart:
DSCN0600.JPG

question: Is this gear supposed to be kinda loose? It turns with only a bit of resistance if the coils are prevented from rotating.
DSCN0601.JPG

And then we get to the end:
DSCN0602.JPG

Now I can replace those tiny power leads:

DSCN0603.JPG

Done. Time to re-assemble.

Helpful re-assembly tip ... remove the brush springs and retract the brushes before you attempt to put the bit with the magnets from hell back on the rotor.

It is designed so that you can put the springs back in after this assembly step for good reason.

Just sayin' ....

( and no, I didn't break off all of my brushes ... heh )

another trick for reassembling brushes-

find a plastic bottle cap that is slightly larger in diameter than the commutator. use the cap as a spacer to hold the brushes back and hold them in place. when you push the brush plate in place the end of the motor shaft and commutator will push the plastic cap out of the way and the brushes will snap back into place on the commutator.

rick

rkosiorek said:
another trick for reassembling brushes-

find a plastic bottle cap that is slightly larger in diameter than the commutator. use the cap as a spacer to hold the brushes back and hold them in place. when you push the brush plate in place the end of the motor shaft and commutator will push the plastic cap out of the way and the brushes will snap back into place on the commutator.

rick

Tried that notion ... no room to get the cap out after you get it started. The magnets mandate two positions ... not assembled and fully assembled. Take a good hard look at DSCN0600.jpg.

Keep your fingers out of the way if you want to keep them.

If you look at DSCN0599.jpg, you can see two fuzzy brass bits ... those are the backs of two of the brush holders. You can put the springs back in through there after reassembly of the magnet-brush + rotor.

Wow! That is one beautifully made motor! Where can one get one? I live in an old tech, brushed world!
David (other Doc)

Nice pix.

>>>"question: Is this gear supposed to be kinda loose? It turns with only a bit of resistance if the coils are prevented from rotating."<<<

Check for a roller-clutch... it may have one to avoid cogging whilst pedalling.

docnjoj said:
Wow! That is one beautifully made motor! Where can one get one? I live in an old tech, brushed world!
David (other Doc)

Deardancer3 has a second used Heinzmann he is selling.

PM him.

PM sent to Dick!
David

And finally ... reassembled.

Still waiting on spokes from Justin, a 20" Rhynolite rim from Harris, and more Andersons from PowerRide ( the guy must think I am in the business ... this is the third large order of powerpoles I've made from him ).

Some folks have rumored that theese motors were made in china, not Germany.

Did you see any thing to lead you to that conclusion; or not?

dick

Nothing written on the parts. They might have ordered individual castings from there, but the machining and assembly work was all first world, as far as I can tell.

This motor looked like it was carefully built, and way over-engineered.

deardancer3 said:
Some folks have rumored that theese motors were made in china, not Germany.
Did you see any thing to lead you to that conclusion; or not?

I have a Heinzmann also, even the charger says it's made in Germany with Seimans parts inside, i posted pictures once upon a time. The motor is all "first world machining" like said above.

TylerDurden said:
Nice pix.

>>>"question: Is this gear supposed to be kinda loose? It turns with only a bit of resistance if the coils are prevented from rotating."<<<

Check for a roller-clutch... it may have one to avoid cogging whilst pedalling.

The roller ramp clutch is mounted in the main hub gear.

Attachments

• heinzmann hub motor 003 (WinCE).jpg
    heinzmann hub motor 003 (WinCE).jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 4,422
Well ... I'll test it on my bike when I get the new dc controller. If it slips too much, I'll see if I can get parts from Heinzmann.

kbarrett said:
Well ... I'll test it on my bike when I get the new dc controller. If it slips too much, I'll see if I can get parts from Heinzmann.

:?: It shouldn't slip at all, mine never did, I didn't think they wore out?

If they have gears, they have to have some kind of clutch ... otherwise the motor will destroy itself if you hit the throttle while preventing the bike from moving.

Without it, the slack in the gears will get taken up, and then the leverage on the outside gear will start stripping off teeth.

The logical place to put a slip clutch is the first cog ... which is the one in question.

I don't think I have a problem here ... I was just over-analyzing stuff. It should be fine.

barrett,
the clutch you keep refering to is the ramp-up bearing in the hub. Just turn the large gear one direction and it moves freely, turn it the other direction, it grabs, perhaps the elusive slippage you seek is the motor itself has some give.

Gears don't rip teeth apart if no clutch is present, because milling machines and thousands of other industrial machines do not have clutches either. Or maybe i'm not understanding you correctly, i just don't want you to spend money on a perfectly good hub motor. Your going to love the torque of the Heizmann though.

Don't sweat it.

Yes, the outermost clutch is a freewheel, which allows me to pedal without having the motor powered.

What I noticed was that the small gear attached directly to the coil windings ( the very first gear in the gear train ) also had some play, and would turn with finger pressure..

I assume this is a safety feature, and not breakage.

Job done ... wheel laced to hub .... the spokes all ring like a bell when tapped.

DSCN0605.JPG

It's on the 'bent .... weighs half as much as the c'lyte.

I'll get the new controller on it and test tomorrow.

I drool with envy! Beautiful! Sorry, its the Art Deco in me coming out. Great design simply looks , well, great!
other Doc

Back