Cross-Canada by Ebike

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Presses

Post by justin_le » Sep 28 2008 1:18pm

Lessss wrote: Of course despite being bombarded with emails to cover the story I have as of yet to see a single tv news broadcast on this trip. just goes to show the only thing that makes it on the air is something that fits the agenda that news station cares to push.
Don't fret about it Lessss, that may more my doing than lack of interest by broadcasters. I never said that I was doing this trip to get in the media or as some kind of publicity stunt to bring ebikes into the news, and so I've turned down many offers by Journalists to cover the story along the way.

Ebikes are mostly an underground movement here. That's the most awesome thing about what's going on, and it's the story that I really want to expose and tell with this trip. There is a change being driven at a very grassroots level, without any involvement of traditional big companies, marketing campaigns, government initiatives etc. Sooner or later ebikes are going to reach the mainstream in a big way. It's inevitable. When that happens, I want people to be aware of the roots of this movement, so they can see some of the faces that were building and riding electric bicycles 10, 20, 30 years before ebikes hit the selves of retail stores all across the Country.

So this story about me crossing Canada for the first time ever in a plug-in electric vehicle, it's not really something that is meant to be told now. All of you reading this surely appreciate the significance, but for most people I think the significance will only be apparent 1 or 2 decades from now. At least that's what I hope.

Justin
Previously competed in the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver learning to be a dad with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with GMAC 10T rear hub motor, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah EM3EV pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

MitchJi   1 GW

1 GW

Re: Presses

Post by MitchJi » Sep 28 2008 5:24pm

justin_le wrote:Ebikes are mostly an underground movement here. That's the most awesome thing about what's going on, and it's the story that I really want to expose and tell with this trip. There is a change being driven at a very grassroots level, without any involvement of traditional big companies, marketing campaigns, government initiatives etc. Sooner or later ebikes are going to reach the mainstream in a big way. It's inevitable. When that happens, I want people to be aware of the roots of this movement, so they can see some of the faces that were building and riding electric bicycles 10, 20, 30 years before ebikes hit the selves of retail stores all across the Country.

So this story about me crossing Canada for the first time ever in a plug-in electric vehicle, it's not really something that is meant to be told now. All of you reading this surely appreciate the significance, but for most people I think the significance will only be apparent 1 or 2 decades from now. At least that's what I hope.

Justin
Hi Justin,

I hope it won't be "10, 20, 30 years before ebikes hit the selves of retail stores all across the Country"

And I hope it won't be decades before the significance is appreciated by most people.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Best Wishes,

Mitch

kbdog   1 µW

1 µW

Post by kbdog » Sep 28 2008 8:40pm

justin_le wrote: When that happens, I want people to be aware of the roots of this movement, so they can see some of the faces that were building and riding electric bicycles 10, 20, 30 years before ebikes hit the selves of retail stores all across the Country.
Let's also hope that some of our faces will still be around in 10, 20 or 30 years!
Well done Justin; you must be pleased with the outcome of your trip and the remarkable people you have met along the way. I look forward to more of your 'people profiles' once you get back after a well-earned rest.
On the Humber Trail.

fechter   100 GW

100 GW

Post by fechter » Sep 28 2008 9:19pm

justin_le wrote:
Ebikes are mostly an underground movement here. That's the most awesome thing about what's going on, and it's the story that I really want to expose and tell with this trip. There is a change being driven at a very grassroots level, without any involvement of traditional big companies, marketing campaigns, government initiatives etc. Sooner or later ebikes are going to reach the mainstream in a big way. It's inevitable. When that happens, I want people to be aware of the roots of this movement, so they can see some of the faces that were building and riding electric bicycles 10, 20, 30 years before ebikes hit the selves of retail stores all across the Country.
Power to the people :D

And even more power to those that know how to solder :twisted:

Who would have thought that you would run into a hurricane on a trip across Canada. A moose I would expect, but not a hurricane. Keep dry, I see it's moving quickly.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Perfesser   100 µW

100 µW

Re: Cross-Canada by Ebike

Post by Perfesser » Sep 29 2008 1:48am

Go Justin, Go.
Less than 100k to go... Whoo Hoo!
I'm so proud of you. Every time I scoot past your shop on my trike (that you helped electrify), I get a chill. Well, the fact that it is almost October helps that chill happen, but still... it's a thrill.
I should tell you that my son Conrad (you might remember meeting him at supper, he is the taller one) bought himself a bike. He has used it for the last month, and it has become his main transportation. It is worth mentioning, as just a year or so ago, he said that "bikes are for losers". But, I think that meeting you has helped change that.
Remember, it won't take decades for you to make your mark on the people in Canada. You've already made it, in many ways.
Get on that train back home as soon as you can. You've got an invitation to turkey dinner at my place for thanksgiving !
God speed you.
-Karl
Modified KMX chassis, 7 speed, oversized chain ring, 48V 8AH Ni-Cad pack, 404 Crystalyte motor on a 20" wheel, Cycle-Analyst.
65 Kph is rather thrilling when your buttocks are 3 inches off the ground.

biohazardman   100 kW

100 kW

Post by biohazardman » Sep 29 2008 2:31am

Glad to see you are almost there been reading about your trip and looking at all the land and pictures available on Google earth to see what you have been riding through. Some beautiful country to see for sure. As for the bike mine has fared no better with broken spokes and two burnt controllers in 1200 miles. So room for improvement for sure possibly you know of someone that can figure things out. ;^) Be safe in the last little bit and enjoy the moment as moments are all we have.
Last edited by biohazardman on Sep 29 2008 12:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build it like your life depends on it. Cuz it does.
Golden Motor Schwinn first build http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=279.0
Giant BMC build http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... &start=390
Short ride vids http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 60#p321703

silicium   10 W

10 W

Post by silicium » Sep 29 2008 3:35am

Bravo Justin !
Si près de ton but, je te remercie d'avoir partager ton voyage avec nous !
J'écris en français depuis la France 8)
Si un jour tu te décide à venir nous voir, j'ai un grand jardin :) Et dans le sud de la France il fait toujours beau :mrgreen:

Justin Bravo!
So close to your goal, I thank you for sharing your trip with us!
I write in French from France
If one day you decide to visit us, I have a large garden :) And in the south of France it is always nice :mrgreen:
RH205, A123 4P12S with BMS http://vae-tech.forumactif.org/t8-un-bms-home-made (in french)

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Re: Homerun Stretch

Post by justin_le » Sep 29 2008 10:13am

justin_le wrote:
philf wrote: Tropical storm Kyle has grown into a hurricane over the Atlantic Ocean, forecasters said Saturday evening.
With winds of up to 120 km/h, the hurricane could make landfall anywhere between Nova Scotia and Maine, according to the U.S. National Hurricane Center.
Wohoo, I'm not sure if it was Kyle or not but what a wild time riding into Nova Scotia last night. Winds were just howling!
OK, Nevermind, what I went through then was just some powerful east coast winds. It was midway between Truro and Halifax yesterday evening that I ran into Kyle. Holy Toledo what an experience that was. If anyone's ever bicycled through the remnants of a hurricane, well you'll know what I'm talking about. Wind gusts so powerful they'll either stop your progress in it's tracks or propel you into regen territory, and rain so heavy and driven that it hurts. The cars were all rolling along the highway super slow with emergency lights blinking and windshield wipers on crack trying to keep a clear view out the glass, and I was just holding tight on the handlebars not to get blown over. I'm sure everyone was thinking that I have to be a little out of my mind to be biking through this!

Anyways, it was an exciting note to end the journey on, and knowing that this was the last leg I didn't care so much about how the ebike would fare. The rains and bumps (when I swerved on and off the shoulder) first took out my 10 watt HID light, and then the BMS on the LiFePO4 battery pack. But the homemade LED lights, the motor controller, the homebuilt LiPoly battery packs, the CycleAnalyst, they all kept on trucking right to the end like good little troopers.

I don't think the trip is totally over until I take a plunge in the Atlantic ocean, but for today I'm leaving the bike parked in a garage and will explore the city on my two feet for a change.

Thanks again to all the many people who've contributed to this thread or who have been quietly following the progress. It's made the whole adventure feel that much more complete knowing that a whole community has been behind it. I still have many more posts to make over the next couple days and will compile and upload the final trip statistics later this evening.

Cheers from Halifax, -Justin
Previously competed in the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver learning to be a dad with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with GMAC 10T rear hub motor, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah EM3EV pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

Ypedal   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Ypedal » Sep 29 2008 10:17am

I'm glad to hear you made it.. I was worried last night when i ventured out to bring the garbage to the curb thinking Holey cRap i hope he's indoors right now.. woooweeee.. :shock:

edit : The 7 $ rain coat work ok ? :lol:
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com

retread   10 mW

10 mW

Post by retread » Sep 29 2008 11:07am

Congrats Justin!

It seems like just yesterday that we were standing in your back yard contemplating the weather - would it rain on the way to Hope or not?? Well, I guess that question now seems somewhat trivial after all you've been through.

Glad you made it intact and with a wild ending! Winds howling, parts failing, and you - just hanging on for dear life. Have you ever considered a career as a mailman? I know I'd always get my mail if you were in the loop!

I imagine that the trip back will have a surreal feeling to it; at rail-speed it may seem fast, but I'm sure you'll have some great contemplation time!

Who knows, sometime in the future when all the technology required for this kind of journey has been around for a bit, people will go on voyages attempting to follow in your exact footsteps (ahh, bike-tracks). Maybe the biggest bike in the world will still be standing...

Good work showing us all what a man of action can accomplish!! Now time to start planning the next big voyage. hehehe :)
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein

paultrafalgar   10 kW

10 kW

Post by paultrafalgar » Sep 29 2008 11:09am

You are the MAN, Justin! Into the history books with you. Many congratulations.
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? Albert Einstein
A paranoid is someone who has SOME idea of what's going on. Allen Ginsberg(?)
If the greatest pleasure is giving, be selfish - give pleasure.

GGoodrum   100 MW

100 MW

Post by GGoodrum » Sep 29 2008 2:19pm

Justin, congrats on making it all the way. :) You really ought to consider turning your journal/blogs/posts into a book. It would be a great read, for sure. If you don't want/need the money, you could put the proceeds in a foundation, of sorts, or just reinvest it back into your business.

Anyway, I think what you have accomplished is truly amazing. Have a great ride back to the West Coast.

-- Gary

pwbset   1 MW

1 MW

Post by pwbset » Sep 29 2008 3:24pm

GGoodrum wrote:If you don't want/need the money, you could put the proceeds in a foundation, of sorts, or just reinvest it back into your business.
Epic journey sir! I'd love to see an auction of your ebike bits and pieces... again proceeds to charity or building up Renaissance (which is going to need it with the increased demand!). Your controller alone would fetch a handsome sum I have no doubt.

RLT   10 kW

10 kW

Post by RLT » Sep 29 2008 3:46pm

Congratulations Justin! An amazing accomplishment.
It is wonderful that you made it without any more trouble than you did have .
Hopefully, it pays off in more than just your personal satisfaction.

Next year: How about a trip form Inuvic to Ushuaia, Argentina= (Northernmost town in Canada to the Southernmost town in South America ):!: :?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !

beef_wellington   1 W

1 W

Way To Go!

Post by beef_wellington » Sep 29 2008 4:25pm

Just wanted to drop in to give my congratulations. You are truly a pioneer.
Now that your trip is complete... what's next?

I just ordered the parts for my first build from Renaissance, and your staff is extremely helpful.
Soon I will experience my very first ear-to-ear EV grin. I am counting the days.
Jamis Boss Cruiser • Crystalyte 408F • 25A Pedal First • 72V NiCad

Eric G   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Eric G » Sep 29 2008 6:30pm

Great to hear your coast to coast journey was a success!!!
Congradulations Justin!!!

Eric
600 watt Brushed Clyte/20in.wheel/36v7.2ah sla /25amp controller/34kmh. on level ground
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2558

Joshua Goldberg   100 W

100 W

Post by Joshua Goldberg » Sep 29 2008 7:01pm

I don't think the trip is totally over until I take a plunge in the Atlantic ocean,

I was hoping you would go through with that idea---would make a good video

P.S. Congrats on making it C 2 C

rodbotic   1 mW

1 mW

Post by rodbotic » Sep 29 2008 7:17pm

Congrats on completing your trip!!

ebinary   100 W

100 W

Post by ebinary » Sep 29 2008 7:43pm

Congrats! Awesome voyage!
Eric

Shredder - Leaning three-wheeled chopper: 36V, Lynch Motor, Differential dual-wheel drive, 33Ah SLA.
Currie USPD Montague Folding Mountain Bike: 4 x 33V DeWalt, Crystalyte 35A, BMC 750W motor.
Kawasaki Sumo 4.0 Fat Bike: Bafang Mid Drive 48V 750W
Coming Soon (for my son) - Sondors Storm

Rassy   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Rassy » Sep 29 2008 7:46pm

Congrats on the completion of your trip Justin. You are truly an inspiration. For a while now, my brother and a friend have been planning to cross the USA on pedal only recumbents. While reading your reports over the last weeks I have decided to join them. First I was thinking of replacing me BD36's with a couple of EZEE's, but have decided to build up my endurance, strip the Vision down to pedal mode, add a new lightweight Bob trailer, and go for the ride. :D
-Rassy-
One Tadpole Trike equipped with a Bafang BBS02
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=69419
One Delta Trike equipped with a Bafang BBS02
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1291260

Toshi   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Toshi » Sep 29 2008 8:04pm

Congratulations, Justin, on completing the trip. I remain amazed.

Lanchon   10 W

10 W

Post by Lanchon » Sep 29 2008 8:17pm

Congrats Justin! And thanks for the ride here on E-S!

philf   1 kW

1 kW

Post by philf » Sep 29 2008 8:38pm

But you're missing Cape Breton.

Wait. What about circling 'round PEI?

Oh, hell, not far enough... sorry... I KNOW! Newfoundland!

All kidding aside, Justin, you get the picture... We've all been following this from the get-go. As sad as it seems to see this chapter reach a conclusion, we're equally happy for you that you'll finally get to see home again Real Soon Now. I hope the reality of the conditions you've endured as you've made this journey aren't lost on the other folks who've been reading along (and I don't believe this is the case - this is great community).

I'm still finding myself talking to complete strangers about the great pleasure it was to have met you during this journey, and to have had you stay with us - even if it was for a mere 24 hours. You're such a rare blend of genius, enthusiasm, teacher, student, and a whack of other things... I'm still at a loss, when pressed, to articulate what it is that makes meeting you such a unique experience.

But... A fond memory...

As well as some memorabilia...

It's the "Dumpster Wheel"... (Try to ignore the batteries in the background. The Yardworks ones, in particular, are very addictive).

If anyone's wound up with my donor wheel, I'd be happy to buy it back :-) No, seriously, send me a PM :-)

Enjoy the train ride back, Justin! May conditions present the most picturesque ride ever... And remember - there may be big diesels on board, but the things that deliver the drive are electric :-)

newjeff   1 mW

1 mW

Post by newjeff » Sep 29 2008 9:16pm

Hi Justin,

I have witnessed the Moon landing and meeting Terry Fox on his run. These both pale compared to meeting you across 6 lanes of traffic, the evening in high park, and talking with you at Joshua's till 4 in the morning. Keep the bike intact and auction it off!! Take the plunge into the Atlantic. Have a safe and restful trip home but get us some more info on the trip to Halifax we all need our Justin fix. I look forward to reading your blog and seeing your pics.
“Those who say it can’t be done should not interfere with those who are doing it.”
Bill Wicksted (Toronto)

Zoot Katz   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Zoot Katz » Sep 29 2008 10:10pm

philf wrote:. . .I hope the reality of the conditions you've endured as you've made this journey aren't lost on the other folks who've been reading along (and I don't believe this is the case - this is great community). . .
I doubt many people in this community have ridden a bicycle through a hurricane. I know I haven't. Despite possibly having passed bricks, I envy the man.
That experience will always remain an enormous boost to ones confidence when tackling life's future challenges.

All day Dylan's "Hurricane" has been going through my head and wondering how the lyrics could be changed to tell Justin's story. I can almost hear it as the sound track for his C2C video I'm dying to see. I think he's earned the sobriquet "Hurricane Biker" and that there should be an e-bike honour guard to meet his train in Vancouver.

(Don't worry Justin, we'll keep it low-key.)