SLCD-3 display settings, P and C parameters

motomech

10 MW
Although there have been posts on this, I think a clear concise guide would be useful.
I wish I could write it now, but at this time I am still working though what each setting does.
To start, here is my interpretation of the factory guide. This is not set in stone, so feel free to correct any mis-interpreation I may make.
The user manual is here, the download link, first download:

http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/670-s-led770-e-bike-led-meter.html

Deffinations;

Here, they seem to use the word "gears" to mean power assist levels.
"Zero start"=instant start(throttle).
"Non-zero"=delayed start(throttle).
"handlebar"refers to the throttle.
"foot power assist" is the PAS.

"P" parameters

P1 Motor Characteristic Parameter Setting Mode
P1 is motor characteristic parameter setting mode. P1 = motor gear reduction ratio×
number of rotor magnet pieces, just rounding if there’s any decimal.

This is clear enough. My Q100C has 16 magnets and a reduction ratio of 14.2:1, so P1 = 14 X 16 = 224

P2 is wheel speed pulse signal setting mode. If wheel generated 1 pulse signal by a
revolution, P2 should be set as1. If wheel generated 6 pulse signals by a revolution, P2
should be set as 6. If users didn’t configure the pulse signal system, and then P2 parameter
setting can be 0. The setting range of P2 should be between 0-6...

My geared motor requires an external wheel speed sensor, so the setting is 1. I assume the higher values are for DD motors where the external sensor can be deleted.

P3 is for power assist control mode, when P3 parameter setting is 1, power assist
control mode is gear 5 of "imitation torque control" mode, when P3 parameter setting is
0, power assist control mode is gear 5 of "speed control" mode.
P3 parameter needs to be determined according to the distributed function of the controller, its setting range is 0 or 1...

I understand "imitation torque control" mode to be a euphemism for current(Amp) limiting. Whether this applies to PAS, throttle or both is unclear to me.
"P3 parameter needs to be determined according to the distributed function of the controller, its setting range is 0 or 1" :?:

P4 is handlebar startup mode. When P4 setting is 1, indicating the handlebar is under
"non-zero startup" mode, namely, the handlebar can be effective only after startup the
foot power assist. When P4 setting is 0, indicating the handlebar is under "zero startup"
mode, the motor can be startup by the handlebar directly. P4 setting range is 0 or 1...

1 signifies one must pedal first before the throttle becomes active.
0 means the throttle is always active.

P5 is power monitoring mode, when P5 setting is 0, the power monitoring is the
"real-time voltage" mode. Namely, it is the method to determine the battery capacity
based on real-time battery voltage. When P5 equals to a specified parameter, the power
monitoring is the "smart power" mode (this parameter is determined by the battery
characteristics, ordinary 24V lithium is generally is 4-11, 36V lithium is between 5_15). P5
setting ranges from 0-40

I have not worked with this yet, but values above 0 appear to be dampen out Voltage sag as power is applied, to steady the reading. I assume the value(above 0)would be a function of battery type and Voltage. There is an additional setting in the "C"parameters. Any input of what works for your type and Voltage
pack would be appreciated.

"C" parameters

C1 is power assist sensor and parameter select mode. Its definition is shown in
following table. C1 setting ranges between 0-7, hold button (UP) or button
(DOWN) for selection.
C1 parameter definition table:
C1
value
Quantum power assist sensors or similar
products
C1
value
Power assist sensors from other
manufacturers
00 5 magnet sensor 05
01 8 magnet sensor 06
02 10 magnet sensor 07
03 12 magnet sensor

This appears to be related to the # of magnets in the PAS rotor, My question here is; does this need to be set for PAS to function?

C2 is motor phase classification coding mode. It is served as identification parameter
of different phases of the motor when using sine wave drive and the default value is 0.
When C2 setting is 0, indicating that the used Quantum motor phase is an ordinary one.
When the setting is a certain value, indicating a particular motor phase is used. C2 setting
range is 0-7...

I have no idea about this one.

C3 is initialization mode of power assist ratio gear. The setting range is 0-6 (gear)... ...When C3 setting is 0, the
meter is switched on, and the power assist ratio is at gear 0. When the setting is 1, the
meter is powered on and the power assist ratio is at gear 1, and so on.

This appears to determine how P4 functions, but other than that :?:

C4 is handlebar function setting mode.

C4 parameter definition table:

Handlebar startup mode P4=0
0=zero startup handlebar
1=Zero startup, handlebar speed limit is
6Km/h
2=Zero startup, handlebar speed limit is specified
3=Zero startup, handlebar speed limit is specified. (Power assist ratio is effective at gear 0)

Handlebar startup mode P4=1

C4 parameter definition table:

0= Non-zero startup handlebar
1= Before power assist, the handlebar speed limit is 6Km/h, after power assist, handlebar is full speed.
2= Non-zero startup, handlebar is specified speed limit.

These determine how the two functions of P4 are applied.

C5 is controller maximum operating current adjustment mode (tiny-adjustment of
limit current value). The default value is 10...

C5 parameter definition table:

C5 value Maximum current value(A)
00 Maximum current value-5
01 Maximum current value-4.5
02 Maximum current value-4
03 Maximum current value-3.5
04 Maximum current value-3
05 Maximum current value-2.5
06 Maximum current value-2
07 Maximum current value-1.5
08 Maximum current value-1
09 Maximum current value-0.5
10 Maximum current value
When C5 setting is 10, maximum current value is controller maximum operating
current value (ie, limit current value); when setting is 9, maximum current value minus 0.5A, when setting is 8, maximum current value minus 1A and so on.

Amps limiting function.
For SO6S controller, 00= 10A, 10= 15A, for S12S controller, 00=18A, 10=23A.

C6 is the meter backlight brightness adjustment mode.

Self explanatory.

C7 is cruise function setting mode.
0=off
1=on

self explanatory

C8 is motor operating temperature display mode. The setting range is 0 or 1..
0 Function off
1 Function on
Please Note:The motor operating temperature display requires installing temperature
sensor in the motor...

Self explanatory

C9 is meter power-on password setting mode. The default value is 0....
C9 parameter definition table:
C9 value Startup password setting
0 Function off
1 Function on

self explanatory

C10 is automatic restore default settings mode....
C10 parameter definition table:
C10 value Restore default setting
n Function off
y Function on

self explanatory

C11 is meter attribute selection mode.
C11 parameter definition table:

C11 value Meter Attribute
0 Meter uses LCD3 new version of communication protocol, it is compatible
LCD1 and LCD2.
1 Meter uses LCD1 and LCD2 old version communication protocol, it is not
compatible LCD3.
2 As data source for copying parameters, the meter transfers the new LD3
parameter to other meters.

SEE POST BELOW

C12 is controller minimum operating voltage adjustment mode (tiny adjustment of
voltage shortage). The default value is 4...

C12 parameter definition table:

Minimum Voltage(V)

36V Controller and 48V Controller
0= Default value-2V
1= Default value-1.5V
2= Default value-1V
3= Default value-0.5V
4= Default value 30V for 36 V battery, Default value 40V for 48V battery.
5=Default value+0.5V
6=Default value+1V
7=Default value+1.5V

This appears to allow fine-tuning of the LVC.
The controller senses battery Voltage and establishes the default setting(#4). Other available values add or subtract from default setting.
How this works with non-standard batteries, ie; Lipo 12S(approx. 44V), I have not determined yet.

Anyone that can elucidate any of these functions, especially C3 and\or C4 as they apply to P4, and C12, please add your input.

C3 is the startup value of the PAS assist level. If set to 1, PAS will power on in one. Mine was defaulted to 8 (I know, this isn't supposed to be a valid value), and it retains the previously set value through power cycles.

C11 is the communication protocol between the display and the controller. This is either the "old" protocol, which is used for older versions of the S06S and S12S controllers or SLCD1 displays, or the "new" protocol, which is used with the SLCD3 and newer controllers.

The old controllers, which use the old protocol, won't display parameters like motor power, voltage and temperature.

I just went through this a few days ago, and have the same questions as you. So I won't be much help yet. I set P3 =1 for torque control and C5 = 02. The s06s controller has max 14 amps so I intended to limit it to 10 amps with C5 = 02. But if I open the throttle it will draw over 400 watts ( the full 14 amps) so that doesn't sense to me. I am using 8s lipo with q100 hub.

In the cruise positions it does seem to limit the max watts in nicely spaced increments so that accomplishes my intent. I have not yet tried the speed control.

Flying-chase has a motor with a 60deg phase angle instead of the normal 120 deg. He discovered that C2 needs to be set to 2 to get it to run.

My interpretation of C3 is that it sets the default PAS level when you switch the display on.

Thank you very much for this info. I have the lcd-3 for my Xiongda 2 speed, so the instructions are a bit different, but similar. I'll report back later today how it works.
otherDoc

IdleMind said:
But if I open the throttle it will draw over 400 watts ( the full 14 amps) so that doesn't sense to me.

400w is 10 amps from a 36v battery, not 14A. Don't forget that the actual voltage is 42V fully charged.

A little backround, from another thread:

I am currently running the S12S on a Q100C in a 24"wheel on 11S and it works well.
I have not been able to limit the current in the "C5" advanced setting. I have it set @ "00", which should reduce the current from 23A to 18A,
But a ride last night confirmed it is not limiting, as peak Watts would eventually climb to 950W.
Also, I have had no luck limiting the current with the "torque Imitation mode" in the the P3 setting. I couldn't see that it was doing anything.
BUT, I am using throttle only, no PAS. Perhaps they only work in PAS.
The good news is, the S12S is very smooth in the way it ramps up, very soft actually and doesn't seem to be stressing the Q100 in any way.
What I can do, is use the "speed limiting"mode in P3, which works very well. Using the cruise control in the lower ranges of the 5 level assist mode, will limit the current by way of limiting the top speed. I simply set the speed I want and leave it in cruise, elimitnating the need for PAS. I have no Ebrake and didn't want to use PAS for that reason. I defeat the cruise with a quick flip of the thumb throttle.
Now, even with the controller in a lower assist setting, hills will increase the current as the system wants to maintain the speed. This is not a problem for me, as I have 2WD and can manually control the power, splitting it between two motors.

Did another 3 hr. ride tonite and I think I have a handle on the nuances of the SLCD-3\S12S combo. Here are some observations:

The speedo- It seems very accurate, but when is throttle is cut to the controller, It drops to zero. Even though I have an external (wheel) sensor, the display appears not to read it unless the motor is under power. Of course, with a geared motor that free-wheels when coasting, this throws the odo off.

The battery gauge-The first time out, I set the damping factor full on, #40 in the P5 setting. The first of the four bars didn't dis-appear until, maybe, the pack(45V, hot off the charger\15 Ah) had dis-charged about a 1\3 rd., but by the time it read half, it was very close(3.88 cell V). The last bar dis-appeared @ 40.5V, perfect :)

The Voltmeter-checked it twice against my Thunder charger, it was dead on both times :D

The LVC-I set C12 to 0, -2V from the default of 40V, so I expected shut-down @ 38V, but it turned off shortly after the gauge hit nada. or 40.5V. Cell Voltage was 3.67V. Really happy with that :lol: Couldn't have a asked for a better result.. Next ride, I will go back to default on C12 and see what happens.

As a side note on this set-up, assist speeds are(flat, no pedal);
Level #2= 14.5 mph
Level #3=17.5 mph(pulling about 400 Watts)
Level #5=21.5 mph
Both motors max.=26 mph.

Really liking the S12S, It is so smooth and quiet, and 22 Amps on the Q100, feels positively exhilarating compared to the the 15A KU63.
No growling or jerkyness like the frt. motor, a standard Q100 "328", powered by an Infineon\Grin 20A 6-FET.
It could be smaller, about 25% of the case is empty :roll:
After several miles of cruising at Level #3, both the motor and controller(in a bag) were barely warm(ambient temp. 87F).
These sine-wave controllers are the wave of the future.
definately worth the trouble and expense(I smoked a SO6S before trying the S12S.) converting from the KU63 square- wave.

P2 should be set to zero when using a wheel-speed sensor to get the correct speed when free-wheeling.

I have P2 set to 1, and the speed is updated while coasting (or even turning the wheel by hand on a work stand).

Interestingly, if the wheel speed sensor is removed (and P2 is still set to 1) there will still be a speed indication displayed. This speed will drop to zero when coasting.

Of your speed is not being updated off the power, you should check your speed sensor.

I am joining this conversation as i don't understand a few things about my LCD3...

P1
What to write in P1 if my motor doesn't have any gears and is 46 magnets?
because the speed meter is wrong because of this. The default is 87

P2
My motor gives 23 signals per revolution and the option here is between 0-6

P5
Is the P5 responsible for my battery showing full even when it's empty?
I typed 0 and my battery is 14s LiPo 58.8v when full.

Another little question, Is there a way to change the small delay the throttle has?

Roy.

P1 should be set to 46. It has no effect on the speed reading.
P2 : Try setting it to zero. You can use a cycle computer sensor for wheel-speed if your motor gives too many pulses. Connect it between the speed sensor connector 5v and signal wires.
P3 When set to zero, there's no damping, so the meter should go up and down with the battery in real time. If it shows full all the time, it's because it's wrongly interpreted your battery voltage. If you have 12S, it's probably assuming 36v. If you have 48v (13S), try charging it up, then disconnecting/reconnecting it to the controller. It's a mystery how the controller knows whether you have 36v or 48v, it must work on the voltage when you first connect the battery.

d8veh said:
P1 should be set to 46. It has no effect on the speed reading.
P2 : Try setting it to zero. You can use a cycle computer sensor for wheel-speed if your motor gives too many pulses. Connect it between the speed sensor connector 5v and signal wires.
P3 When set to zero, there's no damping, so the meter should go up and down with the battery in real time. If it shows full all the time, it's because it's wrongly interpreted your battery voltage. If you have 12S, it's probably assuming 36v. If you have 48v (13S), try charging it up, then disconnecting/reconnecting it to the controller. It's a mystery how the controller knows whether you have 36v or 48v, it must work on the voltage when you first connect the battery.

P1 Does have an impact on the speed reading, I tried to set it to 255 (max) and full throttle was 10kmh so the further down you go the higher the
kmh will be. At 46 it seems more realistic but who knows if that is really true when the number should be some kind of gear reduction times the number of magnets.

P2: Didn't understand you, I don't have a speed sensor connector. What exactly is affected buy this value?

By P3 you mean P5 I tried starting up the controller on battery full, mid , close to empty and nothing. I know that there is a number to set for each pack size
but i don't know how it works...those china guys are weird...I sent an email to the guy i bought it from but i doubt he knows what to do...I think the only
guy who understands this manual is the guy who wrote the manual himself.
Never seen something translated to English and still looking like Chinese.

Am about to play with the advanced settings on my KT-LCD (5 power levels) display, in particular with regard to PAS settings. Will post my findings when I have finished.

Hello,
Has any one had a chance to check the actual effect of the C5 parameter? The S12S manual downloaded from BMS Battery site says the maximum adjustment is -5A, whereas the manual of the manufaturer says -50% of the controller current e.g. -10A for a 20A controller (http://www.szktdz.com/upload/file/20141114/20141114105238_22416.pdf - p. 27)
Thanks.

sange said:
Hello,
Has any one had a chance to check the actual effect of the C5 parameter? The S12S manual downloaded from BMS Battery site says the maximum adjustment is -5A, whereas the manual of the manufaturer says -50% of the controller current e.g. -10A for a 20A controller (http://www.szktdz.com/upload/file/20141114/20141114105238_22416.pdf - p. 27)
Thanks.
IIUC its a global setting, not just for PAS. I would guess that the effect of C5 depends on the controller software, so it's possible that it's different for different controllers. It wouldn't surprise me if it has no effect on some.

Do you have a wattmeter or other means to study the effect. I'd be very interested in any results that anybody has.

I know this topic is about SLCD-3 displays, but all the P settings are the same for my KT-LCD 5 level display, but for the life of me I cant see or get into the C parameters. Any suggestions?

On the BMS Battery website, it says:

"Not all parameters can be set by S-LCD3. Please leave us a message on which parameter you want to set."

Anybody knows which parameters you need to provide i.e. which parameters cannot be set via the display itself?

Nanango, Are you backing out of the P menu with a long push of the power button, then holding both direction keys together to enter the C menu?

opperpanter, nobody seems to know. I seemed to get the functionality I needed. Something was amiss though. I had to pick metric (kmh+Centigrade) or imperial (miles+foreignheight). I really wanted a mix of the two though, a speed reading in mph and temperature in centigrade. Settled for imperial, but actually got what I wanted. Imperial speed and metric temperature. A deviation from the norm, and one I want for the UK market. It may be a region choice made at factory.

I found a full instruction set here: http://sklepebike.pl/pl/p/file/216d565a0d17d575b3a7aaaa30b8ca4e/S-LCD3-User-Manual.pdf
That starts at the beginning with 'this is a controller 101' and ends with the C settings. The entire procedure. Perhaps best viewed while sat with the bike.

hey, not sure if you can help me with this, I've been trying to switch off the cruisse without success, C7 is 0 = off, but still the f.. cruisse activates it self when I maintain max speed. I've also tried to do combinations with the wires of the controller (two of them that are conected in a loop) so I tried to cut the just first loop, just the second, both, with C7 in 0 and in 1 and still the cruisse turns on. My controller is S12S, I'm running out of ideas, in my first bike (S12S + LCD2 was just cutting one of the loops in the controller)
Today I thought the cruise was turned off already and I felt down (I don't have cutting electric brakes) is there any other alternative? It shouldn't be so difficult.
Thanks and happy new year :)

The slcd-3 instructions don't talk of an automatic cruise. Just a function key. Press&hold the down button to cruise. I just put one together with the function enabled, and don't know of it sticking at full throttle.

My old controller had the wire loop and automatic engagement. My first s12s also has loops for something. What your describing sounds like what controllers do. I'm lacking any hands on experience though. I keep making them but not getting to ride them. I will know better in a couple of days, but I would look at the controller. See for sure which loop (blue?) and check inside the box.

To disable cruise, you disconnect the blue loop. If the cruise still engages when the loop is disconnected, you must have a short between the two pads where the blue wires are soldered.

The snow has almost all meted and I just rode my bike for the first time since last Oct. I would like to reset the odometer on the LCD display to zero to keep track of the miles for the year. Is there a way to do that. I couldn't find any info in the manual, perhaps restoring all the parameters to default setting would also reset the odometer, but then I'd have to re-enter the parameters.

Back