Bafang throttle LED issue.

I have just started having an issue with my throttle LEDs, and wondering if I should be concerned about a more serious problem, or whether I just have a faulty LED.
My system is a stock bafang, stock 36v controller, and twist thottle with 3 LEDs, and a 36v/10AHr Ping pack.
Here is what is happening, my bike is fully charged and I turn it on. Good, all 3 LEDs are lit.
I then apply the throttle and the green LED goes out, so far, so good, its under load anyway. However, when I back off the throttle, the green LED stays unlit. My Watts Up says I have plenty of voltage, around 40 volts. Even if the bike sits for a while, (like at work during my 8 Hr shift), I switch her on and still no green LED!
I'm a bit baffled as to what is happening, as it has never done this before. As far as I can tell, peformance is not affected.
Is this indicating a potentially more serious problem, or do I just have a failing LED?
Any thoughts on what I should test/try?

Hey Freddie! Maybe a faulty LED! My throttle is good for approximations, but I trust my Wattameter first. I assume those LEDs can burn out. No worries, mate!
otherDoc

Thanks Doc. I was hoping it was just a failing LED. Actually, even at full charge, it was never that bright, but as you said, just trust the Watts Up for an accurate measurement.

Just thought I'd give an update on this issue, as it may indicate that I do indeeed have a problem!
Over the last few days, the green LED has started coming on again, and is actually more reluctant to go off! :)
In conjunction with this, my power usage seems to have dropped off! I'm actually using between 0.5 and 1.0 AHr less, on my 6.7 k commute to work, and the motor seems to be pulling stronger!
The only change that I can see, is that the weather has been warming up. Maybe my battery is picking up again after chilling off over winter?
Dunno, it doesn't really get that cold here, but was around -2C to maybe 8-10C over winter? Maybe thats all it takes for the pack to taper off the performance a bit?
But, the pack/motor is starting to feel stronger and the issue with the green LED seems to have resolved. So unless there is an issue with my wiring/controller, it seems that ir may be resolved.
I know most of you guys that are running Ping/duct tape packs are in the Northern hemisphere, but maybe there is someone else on the board that has observed a similar thing?

Freddyflatfoot said:
Just thought I'd give an update on this issue, as it may indicate that I do indeeed have a problem!
Over the last few days, the green LED has started coming on again, and is actually more reluctant to go off! :)
In conjunction with this, my power usage seems to have dropped off! I'm actually using between 0.5 and 1.0 AHr less, on my 6.7 k commute to work, and the motor seems to be pulling stronger!
The only change that I can see, is that the weather has been warming up. Maybe my battery is picking up again after chilling off over winter?
Dunno, it doesn't really get that cold here, but was around -2C to maybe 8-10C over winter? Maybe thats all it takes for the pack to taper off the performance a bit?
But, the pack/motor is starting to feel stronger and the issue with the green LED seems to have resolved. So unless there is an issue with my wiring/controller, it seems that ir may be resolved.
I know most of you guys that are running Ping/duct tape packs are in the Northern hemisphere, but maybe there is someone else on the board that has observed a similar thing?

You may well be right, Freddy, but a thought occurred to me as I read your post. What if your throttle had sloppy soldering of the LEDs, and the cold snap caused the metal to contract giving an even worse conductivity and making the LED dim. I doubt that an LED would dim and return to normal brightness, but I could believe in poor assembly of the LED/circuit board/wiring in the throttle. The same thing could occur in the plug from the throttle to the controller if one of the pins was not properly seated and barely making contact when warm, losing contact when cold. You might check section 18 of the troubleshooting guide on the ebikes.ca site.

Of course, I might be wrong! :oops: Just a thought....
Maybe your next cold snap will tell the tale.

ATB

BC

Back