Mongoose CX450 Controller Upgrade ISSUES!!! KELLY KDS36200e

Maniaccts

10 mW
Ok, I have an old mongoose CX450 bike. I upgraded the battery from the stock 24v SLA to recycled lithium batteries running 36volts. I burnt the stock controller out last year as well as the controller that replaced it. I recently made 1p9s lithium batteries from a chevy volt module and bought a kelly kds36200e controller. I have programmed the kelly controller to specs that fit the bike and upon hooking it up and powering on the battery the motor kicks on. The throttle has no effect, in fact I can have it completely unplugged and voltage is still being sent to the motor. I am pretty confident I have the wiring correct, could the controller be defective? Has anyone else come across this problem? If I cant figure out this controller does anyone one have a better suggestion that I wont end up burning out. Thanks

Sounds strange alright.

Just to be clear: with or without the controller or the throttle even connected is it that the motor is running? Very fast or just sort of? The same with everything hooked up right? Have tested the voltage that's passing through? You did cutting/rewiring or made an adapter? Never had a Mongoose, is the motor brushed (I assume) or sensor/sensorless? That's a brushed controller, giving a lot of amps to an 18/20 amp motor. The original should have been a 20a, what was the replacement?

The one suspicion to keep in mind is that an oem controller that is supposed to be just fine burned up, then a replacement did, now another replacement is acting funny. Amazing coincidence, eh? Sooner or later someone will ask for pictures, yeah, couldn't hurt.

Brushed DC motor controllers are known for failing in full throttle fashion. I'd try a known good unit. They're not expensive. Try tncscooters.com, or thesuperkids.com if you don't have a better option.

Well, most people don't have known good ones laying around. No question it would nice if he did, but buying one is not getting a "Known good one."

The controller I would have recommended would have been: http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_74&product_id=177 What I've heard of the CX450 it's very much a Currie, that controller fits a Currie. If you wanted it then it's in stock here, scroll to find it. http://electricscooterparts.com/speedcontrollers36volt.html

Another option that would have required no rewiring (At least I can't see why it would) would be: http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_73&product_id=188 Comes with the throttle at the same price as your Kelly.

I have the batteries motor and controller all plugged up without a throttle and when I turn it on the motor goes. I wouldnt think its full speed just doesnt seem like it. Its the stock motor a brush 24v 20amp motor. The oem contoller is a 35amp ananda. The replacement kelly is 200 amp max set to 20%. The old controllers burning up was completely my fault.

Well yes, technically a brand new one isn't known to be working. But I'll point out that I've never come across a brand new controller that didn't work, though I've encountered a bunch of used ones that didn't.

Figured out the issue I think. Opened up the controller and immediately got a whiff of burnt electronics. Upon further examination I found 2 of the 11 mosfets broken in half, and 3 others cracked. Guess thats what I get for buying it used of ebay.

Back