over torquing axle nuts?

Well if that don't promote axle shearing, what will.
The torque washer is backwards.
I would like to see the rest. I'm sure it's entertaining.

It's backwards because it didn't sit correctly the other way so I'm just using it as a washer and the tab is out of the way

Yeah, they're supplied as spacers on GoldenMotor kits. They're a bit thin, but the nut must be pretty tight to have done that.

Replace the collar, or at least part of it, with a stack of D shape washers ( like the torque washer without the tabs). they are small enough to fit within the freewheel.

dogman dan said:
Replace the collar, or at least part of it, with a stack of D shape washers ( like the torque washer without the tabs). they are small enough to fit within the freewheel.

can you provide a link to some d shaped washers. I've looked around a little with no success

Grin Technologies should have them.

I see you are in PA though. You might try calling E-bikekit, since we/they are in PA. I know Jason has the washer, but it's not on sale on the web site. I really don't know if they will sell you some of them or not. But you could ask.

Yep - I originally got some from eBikekit some years back.
Great item - Really too bad they don't sell them anymore as most similarly shaped spacers are somewhat thicker.

I used to have a GM motor similar to that, those aluminum sleeves are really thin. The problem is they are recessed into the motor and are needed for proper mounting, especially if you use a 5-7speed freewheel. I much prefer the newer designs that do not have them. With no freewheel you can go to a hardware store and buy a stronger much shorter sleeve for the length needed to clear the threads of the motor side cover, then use washers as Dogman suggested for the remainder of the space.

Could possibly even find one in steel

Yep, I crushed mine too. replaced it with a jam nut. Never had another problem.
lnut3.JPG

Hell yeah, that works.

I can't find the picture at the moment, but when I went singlespeed on a modified front hub for the rear of CrazyBike2 and needed a spacer tube over the axle, I used the end of an aluminum handlebar to make the tube from, since it was handy, thick, and very close to the right diameter (inside and out) that I needed.

wesnewell said:
Yep, I crushed mine too. replaced it with a jam nut. Never had another problem.
I didn't quite see what was going on at first with your jam nut; I didn't realize that the threads stopped at that point. I tried some jam nuts set up like you have and it works perfectly, I'm much more confident in these dropouts with 2000+ watts and regen. I think they could handle the stress even without disc break mount torque arm (although thats just more security).

Back