Question about electromagnetic fields and health

fesanand

10 W
I'm planning to build a helmet with e.l. light panel, including a tiny battery and the DC to 120v AC 1.2khz converter, this last one is also tiny and is going to be located in the lower helmet edge so close to my neck and relatively close to my skull.
I'm wondering if that kind of converters emit electromagnetic fields (?)or other fields.... And if so, if copper tape (advertised as barrier) would stop them hitting my brain.
Ciao!

Really?

In my country (greece) people says "if you are already wet don't be afraid of the rain"
I mean that there is so much elettromagnetic fields so you should not get anxious for your own one

Running AC voltage so close to the spinal cord is *scientifically proven* to cause penis shrinkage. The only known prevention is a pair of non-ferrous metallic underpants. Luckily, these can simply be fashioned from aluminium foil. Just be sure to wear these while using your EL helmet and you should be fine.

Frequency and vibration seem to be all there is to energy . . . and to matter!

Is it a wives' tale we're not supposed to have a cellphone within 1" of our body? I try to carry/use them minimally, since it's kinda hard to hear 1" away, let alone hold on to it :D I never looked into bluetooth, but isn't it in the mega to gigahertz range too?
I'm a bit tenative about waves I can't see hear or feel. At least your eardrums eyes and skin can warn you of dangerous exposure from those frequencies.

1kz is in the audible range- is it gonna sound like a fluorescent light or something?

Maybe I'm too influenced about what I see in my job working in Neuro ICU, probably you don't know anyone with a brain tumour, but I see that everyweek.
True that doctors will never tell you that a electromagnetic field caused your tumour, because they still don't know what causes them. Is just my choice to be cautious, by just adding a cheap barrier, copper tape (if works?), that's the question.

Nutspecial, I didn't buy it yet, some of them are advertised as low noise so I guess they clearly buzz hum.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232235689550

Just wondering why manufacturers would put a thin plate all around the circuits of the AC to DC laptop power supplies. And if there's any relation with electromagnetic fields.

We evolved inside a massive electromagnetic field. every moment of our existence we have massively powerful electromagnetic waves coursing through our bodies. It's so powerful it can deflect 35 billion ton clouds of highly radioactive plasma thrown off from the Sun at a significant fraction of the speed of light, with the same ease that you shoo a fly away. The amount of power in this field is awe inspiring, and all you need to see it is compass.

The Earth's electromagnetic field is the reason we exist, and were not sterilized by the sun and cosmic radiation long before our primordial ancestors decided DNA was a neat idea. Compared to that massive source of EMF, a few blinky lights and some wire in a helmet isn't going to do a thing.

Copper tape will do nothing useful. If you really want to try it anyway, you need to research Faraday shielding. Or just line the inside of your helmet with tinfoil. :roll:

The reason computer power circuits are inside a metal case is because they either produce EMF that could disrupt other devices, or they are sensitive to EMF and could be disrupted by some other source of electromagnetic field.

All that being said, there is more and more data coming out that the new 3T FMRI machines can scramble your brain a little bit. If you have anything to fear it is the diagnostic equipment you are around everyday!

to answer your question. Yes,completely encasing the converter in metal ( aluminum tape is just as good and cheaper) will shield the 1.2kHz EMF.
I would not worry too much as 1.2kHz is much too long of a wavelength to really emit (transmit) any power from something so small. An your body is much too small
to act as an antenna for that wavelength. Also, 1.2kHz is not resonant with fat or water. ( like a microwave oven or cell phone).

Just to share , I took an RF meter and measured microwave ovens everywhere I went for a week or so ( ~ 12) . ALL ovens leaked enough RF at 2 inches from the
door to register in the red zone of the device. So don't put your face up to the microwave oven in operation is the take away here. At arms length there was
no detectable reading on any oven I checked. Out of curiosity my co-worker placed the RF meter right next to her iPhone and did a download of the kind that warms up the phone,( and jacks you cell bill)
and it too read in the red zone! Yikes! I don't have a take away on this, I'm just sharing results from my experiments with a real RF meter.

As far as MRI machines go, do you know how much RF they are hitting you with? I heard it was like a hundred watts or something. I don't know myself.
Maybe you can find out and let us know.

Thanks for the replies.
I don't do MRI transfers, and I'm far from MRI scan. But good to know.
Thanks Bob K to share your experience.
EM field discarded as hazard, I'm thinking to go for silent cob led though, regarding the converter noise in the helmet could be quite annoying.

Statistically, people living in close to high power cable/compound areas, tend to have way above the average body anomalies aka cancers, blood diseases, defects and similar stuff. Only reason why it continues to be like that is cause there is no explanation aka proof for it. Unfortunately, that's how it works nowdays :| "Prove it or gtfo".
There were/are tests every day with electromagnetism (25 times stronger than what we are exposed every day) on animal cells which show 0 damage from it.
Imo, huge spectrum of radiations we haven't uncovered yet.

? The EM spectrum is very well-defined...

* 0λ => ∞Hz
* 0Hz => ∞λ

Everything in between 0Hz and ∞Hz is the em spectrum. Here is NASA's scale: https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/heo/scan/spectrum/txt_electromagnetic_spectrum.html

They go from 3Hz -to- 10^24Hz.

Waves themselves are characterized by five parameters:

* period (the time it takes a wave to complete one cycle)
* frequency (the number of cycles that are completed in a certain amount of time)
* amplitude (the distance between the midline of a wave and its crest or trough - describes how much energy is transported)
* wavelength (The distance per cycle)
* speed (the distance the wave travels in a certain amount of time - m/s)

Many years ago the TV show "60 Minutes" had an episode that looked at reports of very rare cancers in police officers when using the new "radar guns" to catch speeders, and attempts at covering up the scandal.

The devices arrived with the proper warnings, but supervisors removed the warning labels when officers expressed concerns about "potential cancers" etc...Motorcycle officers were found to take the "radar gun" when it was on (because turning it off, and then on again was cumbersome, and time-consuming), and placed it between their thighs, while plugged-in. Such officers had an unusually high incidence of testicular cancer, which is normally quite rare.

Another group that was involved were officers who mounted the radar gun inside a car on the ceiling, right next to the officer. In those cases, the officers suffered from eye-cancer, also a VERY rare affliction. However, it wasn't just eye cancer in general, it was specifically tumors of the right eye, and left eyes were almost completely free of any tumors. Since the right eyes of the afflicted officers were nearer to the radar guns, and the left eyes were farther away (from the drivers-seat), that fact played a major role in the officers union winning the case. Apparently, a distance of only a few inches is all it takes.

Improved shielding was introduced to help inattentive operators from accidentally using the devices in close enough proximity to cause any damage.

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/publications/facts/fs226/en/

Radars usually operate at radio frequencies (RF) between 300 MHz and 15 GHz. They generate EMFs that are called RF fields. RF fields within this part of the electromagnetic spectrum are known to interact differently with human body.

RF fields below 10 GHz (to 1 MHz) penetrate exposed tissues and produce heating due to energy absorption. The depth of penetration depends on the frequency of the field and is greater for lower frequencies. Absorption of RF fields in tissues is measured as a Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) within a given tissue mass. The unit of SAR is watts per kilogram (W/kg). SAR is the quantity used to measure the "dose" of RF fields between about 1 MHz and 10 GHz.

An SAR of at least 4 W/kg is needed to produce known adverse health effects in people exposed to RF fields in this frequency range.
RF fields above 10 GHz are absorbed at the skin surface, with very little of the energy penetrating into the underlying tissues. The basic dosimetric quantity for RF fields above 10 GHz is the intensityof the field measured as power density in watts per square metre (W/m2) or for weak fields in milliwatts per square metre (mW/m2) or microwatts per square metre (µW/m2).

Exposure to RF fields above 10 GHz at power densities over 1000 W/m2 are known to produce adverse health effects, such as eye cataracts and skin burns.

spinningmagnets said:
Improved shielding was introduced to help inattentive operators from accidentally using the devices in close enough proximity to cause any damage.

Yet we are all still driving down the road and they are pointing cancer guns at us! :evil:

Back