New bike build hill climbing

Sm00th

10 mW
Hello!!

Im trying to improve my bike build. 3 wheel cargo bike. Two motors: Two front wheels with each a 1000W direct brushless motor with each a Chinazipu electronic box, 48V 22A. Both motors take power from 4 batteries each 12V12Ah.

Is it possible to improve hill climbing even further??

Sincerely Martin

2000w combined should get you up some pretty big hills, even pretty heavy loaded. Up to 400 pounds or so total weight, which means about100 pounds of cargo for most folks on a longtail.

I did fine, even on long mountain climb hills with one larger motor, powered to 2000w.

More watts will get you up the hill even better of course, if you have the battery to handle it.

12v 12 ah sounds like lead,,, barely able to handle one of those motors though.

Lead acid batteries will sag quite a bit under load. If you have a way to measure the voltage while climbing the hill, you could tell for sure.
More likely, you are hitting the controller current limit on that grade. If motor heating isn't a problem, you may be able to use a higher current limit (modify controller shunt or new controllers).

IMG_20210417_175547.jpg
IMG_20210417_180958.jpg
IMG_20210417_181011.jpgIMG_20210412_183452.jpg

Bought two 13S4P = 48V13.5Ah (650Wh) = ca 2900 gram = ca 70*300*90 mm.
Hill climb with 125 kilo concrete but had alot force on the pedal aswell.

Less weight of lead will help of course. But the real problem is likely to be that your lead sags under max load too much to have enough power. So you aren't getting that 2000w when you need it most. You'd need 30 ah of lead, way too heavy to carry around, to limit sag with hills that steep.

A good size, say 20 ah, lithium battery should help, along with losing at least 30 pounds of lead ballast.

The hill is steep, but with those kind of loads do expect to pedal hard to get up them. Its more than 400 pounds load for sure. But the hill is short, so even with lead you should be ok in terms of damaging your motors.

Since its the last few feet to home, you could unload half of it to get up the hill and make two trips. Just when its 600 pounds of cement.

Yes I regret a little I didnt buy 20ah. Maybe Ill try to expand parallell. And yes better unload and go twice. Even the rims or something else could brake. I also have yet to install ampere/volt instrument. Its almost Connected after 4 years haha.

Back