New guy with old? questions

RschDev

1 mW
Hi all - I'm David, currently in Florida. A few weeks ago, I bought a eZee i-omega cargo bike. It's pretty awesome and I was riding it almost every day. The one thing that I didn't like was the eZee display. It doesn't give much information, and the bright LED's are distracting when using the bike in the dark.

So I bought a Cycle Analyst V3, along with a dual aux switch to set PAS level, and a programming cable. Grin has a set of instructions for installing the CA on an eZee Edgerunner. It appears that most of the electronics on the i-Omega are the same. I followed the instructions, cut out the eZee display (gasp!) and learned to crimp JST connectors. I hooked everything up, powered it up and the CA display came on, along with the wheel motor, which turns slowly when the system is powered up. The throttle doesn't do anything, and the ebrakes don't cut off the motor.

I'm working my way through the setup and have a few questions. I have searched ES and haven't found the answers. My apologies if these have been covered in the past.

1 - My first question is battery chemistry. The battery is marked "Sony V3 36V 15AH". I've seen references to LiPo and Li-ion for this battery. Is there anyway to figure out what the chemistry is?

2. I'm assuming that the wheel motor spinning slowly is because the CA is not properly configured. Am I correct or did I screw up something when I did the wiring?

3. This bike has a PAS. It appears to have 12 magnets. Does this seem like a normal setup?

4. Has anyone ever setup a CA on an eZee bike? A cheat sheet would be awesome.

Thanks in advance. I'll try to give back more than I get as I gain knowledge.

Im guessin the battery uses Konion cells, aka sony VTC3 18650. Either LiMnO2 or LiNiMnCoO2 i think.

RschDev said:
1 - Is there anyway to figure out what the chemistry is?
Li-Ion should work, if you mean the setting in the CA for the battery meter.

2. I'm assuming that the wheel motor spinning slowly is because the CA is not properly configured.
Most likely this is just the throttle dead zone / deadband areas. There is a chart and instructions in Teklektik's UUG (linked on the CA pages on Grin's site, and in the CA v3 beta thread) on how to configure this.

3. This bike has a PAS. It appears to have 12 magnets. Does this seem like a normal setup?
Probably--I've seen anything from 5 to 24 in stuff posted here on ES, so far.

OK - So after a steep learning curve regarding JST connectors, I've got the CA3 mostly working. I have flashed the new 3.1 firmware. I have three current issues for which advice would be very welcome.

1. When I power up the unit, there is a short (like 15 degree) rotation of the motor.
2. The PAS is finally being recognized by the CA (I had the polarity backwards), but the first three levels do nothing, and the rest of the levels are all about the same.
3. The throttle will work without pedaling and with the PAS level set to zero. That's illegal in my jurisdiction. As I'm using this bike to educate my state and local politicians/bureaucrats, I'm wanting it to behave properly.

The PAS is set to Basic PAS. The torque sale is -200.0 Nm/V, the Zero Torque Offset is 2.50 V. The PAS Assist Mode is set to Basic (Pwr). The Assist Start Level is set to 200 W, the Assist Scale Factor is set to 0.00 W/rpm. The torque assist averaging is et to 12 poles, the Start Threshold is 0.45 sec/pole and the Stop Threshold is set to 0.29 sec/pole.

Thanks for any ideas.

Back