Difficult to thieve idea - shorting the motor.

meaargee

10 µW
I just had a thought... as you do.

In my electric bike build, I used a three way XT-60 style connection to the three phase hub motor, to replace the crappy bullet connectors originally supplied.
I can't think of a good reason not to build a shorting plug to go in place of the phase wires coming from the controller, this would effectively make the rear wheel a brake. If you left the bike unattended, and disconnected the controller and inserted the plug, even if theft was attempted by riding away with no power, the rear wheel would literally be a drag?
It certainly doesn't forgo standard anti-theft measures, but worth a go, I can't see any technical reasons not to try it.

It's been done a number of times over the years, with plugs and with switches and relays and with active electronics (like the "antitheft" option in some controllers), etc.

A plug is safer for you than the switches or relays, because the latter two have the possibility of a contact switching failure either during switching or under vibration while riding. Under the worst-case such failure, the controller can be shorted out (which on most cheap controllers will blow the FETs).

A plug can't do that cuz you'd be unplugging the controller first, then plugging in the shortng plug.

It would definitely slow down anybody trying to move the bike :twisted:

You just need to make sure there's no way to have the motor shorted when the power is applied. Unplugging the controller would be one way, but sort of a pain. Another way would be to use a hidden switch that both shorts the motor and disables the power to the controller.

Back