First build and would like a second set of eyes....

nz_bound

1 µW
So I am about to purchase my first conversion components and would like another set of eyes to double check I am not missing any items and that I will get reasonable performance. I come from a mechanical background, not as much electrical knowledge. Here is what I am after....

• Rider weight 110lbs (50kg);Height 5'2" (158cm)
  • Commute daily; 2.5miles one way (4.0km); 3% Grade for 0.5 mile (0.8km) at the start and then relatively flat
  • Would like to be able to occasionally ride 25 miles (some hills, google maps says 300ft of elevation gain)
  • Prefer to pedal as opposed to throttle only
  • Torque Sensor
  • 28mph (45kph)

I with these specs in mind, I have decided to go with the TSDZ2 mid drive motor. I plan to update the firmware that casainho and others have been working so hard on. Here is what I plan to purchase (I live in the USA)...

• Metal Gear to replace blue gear -- $27.00 + $8.77 s&h
  • Already own soldering iron, zip ties, shrink tube
  • Is the tool with the motor the same as a Shimano TL-FC32 to remove my bottom bracket or will I need this as well? -- $17.93

For the firmware upgrade I need the following....

I am trying to avoid needing to wait days after receiving most of the components because I missed something small. Am I missing anything? Are all of these companies reputable? Will I be able to achieve my design specs? I am am least confident in my choice of battery, is this a good choice?

Personally I would find something with at least front suspension.

The battery choice seems good and yes it has a lock.

Since you're ordering from em3ev anyways, you might as well get the 5A charger. The option to charge to 90% will increase the life of your battery

The blue gear will most likely be fine and will last you a very long time since it seems like you aren't going to be taking this thing on any serious trails. You will probably like the silence. :pancake:

You don't really need the tool. You can just use an adjustable wrench. Or might scratch things up a little though :confused: but you depending on your bottom bracket, you will need a tool to remove it, but not the one you linked to.

Breastfeeding that, it seems that you will be alright with everything you listed. I actually prefer the cadence sensoring over torque sensoring, but that's just my preference. :roll:

I'm not sure about recycle ebikes, but em3ev is definitelyg a reputable dealer

Thanks for the response.

Personally I would find something with at least front suspension.
I am on the fence about this as well. We live in an area with streets that are maintained pretty well. I might regret it, but my rational is that not buying a front suspension I am putting the money toward better components elsewhere. (Could always add one later if need be.)

The blue gear will most likely be fine and will last you a very long time since it seems like you aren't going to be taking this thing on any serious trails. You will probably like the silence. :pancake:
That is great to hear. I might just order it as insurance in case it does fail.

You don't really need the tool. You can just use an adjustable wrench. Or might scratch things up a little though :confused: but you depending on your bottom bracket, you will need a tool to remove it, but not the one you linked to.
The item linked is the bottom bracket tool for my bike. It was recommended by the bike manufacture to remove my bb. I was just wondering if the TSDZ2 came with this tool or not.

Breastfeeding that,
:shock: Maybe this is a translation error??

I'm not sure about recycle ebikes, but em3ev is definitelyg a reputable dealer
Yeah I was hoping for some feedback on recycle since the website is not confidence inspiring.

nz_bound said:
[*]EM3ev 52V (14S5P) Jumbo Shark Samsung 35E cells - 17.0ah -- 857wh

Hi, I´m thinking in the same battery and motor with a XS 48 cm road frame, I´d like to know how the battery fits in your bike cause I´m not totally sure that battery will fit into mine.

Do you have any picture please.

A while back I built an Ebike for a friend who is also 5'2". She had tried a 700c, then a 26". while the frame sizes were right, 15", XS, the bikes were too unwieldy for her to handle. She ended up with a 24" wheeled bike, and it handled much better for her small size. There was zero chance of fitting the battery in the frame of any bike she tried, so she ended up with her battery in a basket, then later a rear rack.

That RADAR Cafe looks like a very nice city bike, But...
First, I think the thing may be too big for a properly handling bike at your size. Even if the frame size fits you. large wheels + small person = not the best handling. That's a 29er+, and even for a 185cm guy, it's not going to handle as well as a smaller wheel. That's part of the reason 27.5" bikes came into fashion. people had too much pride to go crawling back to their 26" bike after leaving them for the 29ers, but even tall people realized 29ers kinda suck when you need a good handling bike. The shorter you get, the more pronounced that becomes.
And second, it's a very expensive bike for something you'll be basically gutting to convert. All the subtle characteristics that make a bike like that better than a $300 Trek will be masked or destroyed by a conversion. Somethings, like the front derailleur, bottom bracket, crank arms, chain, will be replaced, and a waste of money on the expensive bike. Other things, like having a light weight wheel set, or a finely machined rear derailleur will be worse than cheaper, heavier built components once you quintuple the power going through them with a basic mid drive. I'm a big proponent of starting a conversion from a used, cheaper bike. You spend less money up front, you get a bike that may be heavier duty, as cheaper bikes aren't usually built as light weight, and you have money left over to spend on upgrading the things that do matter to you in the end.

I think the rest of your setup should be fine. I wouldn't replace the blue gear until it breaks, unless you know you're going to be punishing it. But having the spare already in your possession makes sense. I'm curious why you chose the TSDZ2 over a BBS02? I'm debating both of those my self.

Back